openHAB 2.5.x Patch Releases

All,

We have just released openHAB 2.5.3. It again contains quite some fixes for existing add-ons - please check out the release notes for details!

Regards,
Kai

8 Likes

Hi Kai,

For Zwave, the release notes seem to be incorrect. At least Zwave issue 1311 was already confirmed fixed in 2.5.2.

I guess it was incorrectly tagged - this is not a general problem as each issue is tagged separately.

1 Like

Hi,

OH 2.5.3 isnā€™t offered on openhabian,
I did :
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Maybe the repos arenā€™t up to date?
Any idea how I can get the update?

1 Like

You could switch to snapshot in openHABian, it has 2.5.3. Or wait until it got propagated to the release repo.

OK, thanks for the info. Iā€™ll wait until the repos are up to dateā€¦
Will provide feedback

Hi Kai,

https://github.com/openhab/openhab-addons/pull/7180 seems to be missing for nanoleaf (even though you tagged it for 2.5.3)

cheers
Stefan

Unfortunately the selection of platforms and packages on the download page (https://www.openhab.org/download/) is not functional at the moment. It is only possible to download the stable 2.5.3 APT package for Linux, all other options are not selectable:

1 Like

OH 2.5.3 was offered in openhabian, update done.
Had to restart twice, as a lot of items (which are created in .items files) wasnā€™t recognized after first restart.
After second restart everything looks fine

This appears to be the direct Windows link.

Hi,

For the benefit of others, it took about 12 hours for the 2.5.3 release to propagate through the repos and become available in Raspbian / openHABian.

The upgrade in openHABian is simple, and available directly under menu option 03 | openHAB Stable, but I used the following commands to check the version available from the repos before running the tool:

# update and list available software from the repos
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt list --upgradable 
# when you see the release you want is available...
sudo openhabian-config
# select 03 | openHAB Stable

openHAB 2.5.3-1 (Release Build) is working well for me on a RPi 4.

Some previous intermediate releases were only available in openHABian option 41 | openHAB testing, which was a little more complex to confirm.

Hope this helps,

James

2 Likes

And not always expected to work properly. Do not use for your production system. If you use it, report issues on GitHub.

when I do the sudo apt list --upgradable
I see
[17:19:51] openhabian@openhab:~$ apt list --upgradable
Listingā€¦ Done
binutils-arm-linux-gnueabihf/stable 2.31.1-16+rpi2 armhf [upgradable from: 2.31.1-16+rpi1]
binutils-common/stable 2.31.1-16+rpi2 armhf [upgradable from: 2.31.1-16+rpi1]
binutils/stable 2.31.1-16+rpi2 armhf [upgradable from: 2.31.1-16+rpi1]
libbinutils/stable 2.31.1-16+rpi2 armhf [upgradable from: 2.31.1-16+rpi1]
rpi-eeprom-images/testing 5.2-1 all [upgradable from: 5.1-1]
rpi-eeprom/testing 5.2-1 armhf [upgradable from: 4.0-1]
Then start sudo openhabian-config and select option 03
nothing is done
when I do the sudo apt list --upgradable again,
i get the same list

Iā€™m not a linux guy,so, donā€™t shoot me :slight_smile:

Do you have the Stable repo selected in openhabian-config?

Thatā€™s pretty much what I saw after upgrading using openhabian-config option 03. This sets your repo (the source of updated packages) to Stable, then updates the openHAB packages all automagically for you without needing the command line.

For the inquisitive, the update tool is reporting the base OS packages which have later versions available, but are being held back by the base OS (not under the control of openHAB nor openHABian).

No, I donā€™t know why, and doubt it matters much for openHAB, but if you really want to you can manually upgrade the individual packages one-by-one (e.g. sudo apt-get upgrade rpi-eeprom; sudo apt list --upgradable, repeat). This greybeard sysadmin did risk the updates - but then, I do have hardware and software BACKUPS !

As weā€™re specifically upgrading openHAB, the question is what is the version installed, and the version available. Hereā€™s the command, and my output (from an upgraded RPi4):

$ apt search openhab2

Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
openhab2/stable,now 2.5.3-1 all [installed]
  openhab2

openhab2-addons/stable 2.5.3-1 all
  openhab2-addons

openhab2-addons-legacy/stable 2.5.3-1 all
  openhab2-addons-legacy

Notice the version number, and stable release.

If youā€™ve ever ventured beyond options 02 and 03 into Testing or Unstable releases (option 41), then running openhabian-config option 03 changes your repo back to Stable. (Hint - read the bash script source in /opt/openhabian/functions).

You shouldnā€™t need to double which repo is active (just select 03 and 02), but for completeness, hereā€™s my output on Stable:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab2.list
deb https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2 stable main
1 Like

openHABian makes use of the Debian apt mechanism. It does not really do anything specific other than to call that.
Option 03 runs apt-get upgrade while to upgrade ā€œeverything including the rest you sawā€ you would need to issue apt-get dist-upgrade. That you can always manually do in the CLI.
Hereā€™s an explanation on the difference.
Wondering whether we should change that in openHABian ā€¦ @Benjy wdyt?

1 Like

Ack - dist-upgrade rather than upgrade - good shout!
I always forget about the distinction. I blame too many years of SunOS/ Solaris, Red Hat and Fedora.

The rpi-eeprom upgrade was the one that made me manually upgrade as thereā€™s been lots of optimisation for the RPi4 power/ performance, and work on HDD / SSD boot without a uSD.

Over time, perhaps as well as sudo apt dist-upgrade perhaps sudo apt autoremove may be an advantage.

Iā€™ve been using:

sudo apt-get --with-new-pkgs upgrade

See https://askubuntu.com/questions/601/the-following-packages-have-been-kept-back-why-and-how-do-i-solve-it

Though I used to use the dist-upgrade and never had a problem with itā€¦

1 Like

In general, I wouldnā€™t recommend doing a dist-upgrade through a script as a default update action, especially if the function is hidden from users new to Linux. It could be offered as a different option with the relevant warnings though. Or use one of the more cautious commands as @jswim788 describes.

1 Like

yes.