Openhab 2 losing cloud connection

Same problem here @Kai Kreuzer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah - of course one could have mentioned @Kai Kreuzer :wink:

In DEBUG I also get this

14:42:58.528 [DEBUG] [.io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - No connection, Item update is not sent

On my site it’s looks like that for the moment is working again…

it seems that it’s working now

Agree… it’s working again.

Strange, it was not responding for like 5-10 minutes for me, and then it was back again. Looks like it was gone a lot longer for everyone else? And this time my openhab installation connected just fine again. The problem I had was it saying it had connected, while not being connected.

Now it works. Thanks to the one who fixed it :grin:

It’s working here again as well… Alexa finds the light :slight_smile:

Thanks for fixing the issue :slight_smile: It’s working

Yet it would be nice to know what happened… hopefully it’s not gonna happen again. I hope that the Hue Emulation is soon gonna work with the 2nd generation Echo so that there’s no need for me to rely on the cloud, as this is exactly one of the reasons why I prefer OpenHAB locally over Somfy and other cloud based solutions.

But thanks a lot to whoever fixed it :slight_smile:

1 Like

worked for me as well approx 3 hours ago, yet now it is back to not working. according to log i was disconnected for 10 minutes and should be connected now.

also i usually get a push notice when the service is on/offline yet those do not come in since yesterday

I didn’t seem to get one of these notifications either…

Is there an openhab rule ‘when’ condition that can be used to detect when the connection to myopenhab is lost? (ie, a rule that can be triggered when “[io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Disconnected from the openHAB Cloud service” message is logged.

I would intend the ‘then’ action to use sendmail to notify of the problem (this assumes of course, that the internet connection is still available to the local openHAB server, and that the disconnection to the openHAB cloud service is due to a problem with the cloud service, and not the local internet connection)

Similarly, an email rule when the connection is restored could be useful as a backup, particularly given there are no SLA’s for availability of the cloud service.

I think you can do that using the Logreader binding.

2 Likes

@digitaldan and @MARZIMA are the guys that voluntarily take care of the server in their very limited time. We have an automatic monitoring in place, so notifications are (usually) sent if something isn’t working. Afaik, the server is under quite some heavy load by now due to the number of users and being based on Node.js it isn’t easy to scale it up by throwing hardware at it. So the issue should be solved by improving the code and architecture. I’d like to remind everyone that myopenhab.org is merely a “reference instance” of the code at https://github.com/openhab/openhab-cloud, which is available and maintained by the community - so everyone (especially every Node.js expert!) is cordially invited to help making the code better and especially better scalable!

Cheers,
Kai

1 Like

Hello @Kai,

thanks for the extensive information. Indeed I’d be the happiest to host an instance of the cloud service for my purposes on my own system, but as far as I read this isn’t as easy to accomplish as, e.g., setting up OpenHAB itself (ideally it would be a tar.gz to unpack and start :slight_smile:).

I’m not into Node.js, so unfortunately I’m not of a big help in coding or improving it, but I of course appreciate the voluntary work of @digitaldan and @MARZIMA and of course my post wasn’t at all intended to pressure them, but since the automatic monitoring said “all is okay” it was likely they didn’t even notice it not working properly.

Thanks again for the info and insights.

Hi @All,

I feel like we mix some issues here.
There are some issues created and we soon gonna look at them.
I was away a time and just tried to reverse-understand the problem. As I am going to finish some Google Asistant stuff, I will also check these issues.
Sorry for the delayed answer and it is not that easy sometimes.
I didnt recognize that problem and deactivated email notification of the forum (since I was flooded by the Google Assistant thread).
I promised to dedicate some time this week for OH cloud and try to check some things.
Regarding Scaling and changing parts of oh cloud, I hope we will soon come up with a proposal.

BR Mehmet

4 Likes

Thank you! Great to see some improvement coming. :slight_smile:

Today, 6:07 pm myopenhab was disconnected again. I did not any changes before.
After restart the cloud service in Karaf, myopenhab connection goes online again!
Anybody had same issues today?

Yes, myopenhab.org reported my instance as offline also exactly at 6:07 pm. The last related log entry is:

2017-12-03 18:02:01.397 [INFO ] [io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Connected to the openHAB Cloud service (…)

However in the web interface my instance was still shown as “offline”. Since restarting the bundle a few minutes ago the connection is working again.

When openhab goes offline and comes back online the iOS app fails to display my sitemap and returns a “Request failed: internal server error (500)” if i’m outside my local network. I still receive notifications for any sendNotification() alerts. Not sure why i can’t load the sitemap but can receive notifications? With past openhab cloud outages, it’s taken weeks for the iOS app to function correctly again…