openHAB 3.0 Milestone 1 discussion

This was a problem in the device database used by the binding. It was fixed this past week. That version of openHAB are you running? If running openHAB3 the latest snapshot should have the fixed database. The Thing needs to be deleted & re-added to get the new parameters.

Sorry I don’t agree it is the database. The UI just does not support a range and options outside of this range which are also valid. The database is now ‘fixed’ by making sure the range includes the separate option values, but this way it loses semantics.

That is because of the settings in the database entry, not the UI.
I know because I was the one that updated the database entry.

There are three things that I’m aware of that will be different:

1. No longer can two instances of the same rule run at the same time. The rule triggers will be queued up in a FIFO and executed in sequence instead of at the same time.

2. Joda DateTime is gone, replaced with ZonedDateTime.

3. There is no more limit to the number of rules that can be running at the same time.

1 may or may not impact a typical user. With any luck it’ll let users get rid of rule locks. 3 is not something a user will notice unless they had problems before with rules being delayed or stopping because they had long running rules and ran out of rules threads.

2 will likely require some changes as the ZonedDateTime is not 100% compatible with Joda DateTime.

I’m seeing the same thing. I’ve tried lots of different paths based on the classes in the openhab-core repo but it just can’t seem to find it or the logger actions for that matter.

1 Like

What are you wanting to build? webui, core, zwave… Also best to start a thread on this in the Dev branch of this forum. I am doing bindings builds on windows. Welcome and yes it is a good idea to start on V3 if you can do things with minimal docs and understand things are not 100% in all areas yet. I’m running the daily snapshot builds here with a stable setup that is growing each day.

I am trying to build core.

But let’s discuss further at this topic:

Sorry if this is obvious and i’ve just missed some documentation, but I noticed some of my items in the new UI I can select analysis and it shows a chart with history. However, the charts are blank for the vast majority of items. Is there something I need to do to get them to be shown?

By the way, loving the new UI - massive improvement!,

It appears to be the channels that a binding has implemented Units Of Measure (UOM) on.
Number:Temperature
Have not looked at getting persistence running on other channels yet as the main ones are working right away.

I’m trying to rebuild my home in OH3 and to understand the new concept of Equipment.
In the semantic model one equipment is displayed only once - even if it’s assigned to different groups.
Is this only unfinished or do I misunderstand the concept?

For example:
A physical device Thing is a “KNX 4 channel heating actor” with ~15 channels that are belonging to 4 different rooms (actor)
A virtual device Equipment is the “Room Temperature Controller” in a single room (controller)

The point “current temperature” from a zwave-device and the point “current heating state” from the actor should be available in both places in the Semantic Model - but there were only displayed once:

So I don’t understand this difference between groups and semantic classification:

For the RRD4J/chart problem, I opened an issue Saturday and a fix was proposed Sunday. Waiting for the merge.

I still don’t understand the new equipment, too. I was under the impression it’s just items that have been tagged with a certain kind of tag name.
But now we have Things, Items and Equipment that is somehow available. Isn’t Equipment and a Thing the same?

1 Like

Hi MIchael,

the sematic model is based on the Brick scheme https://brickschema.org/ . It is more then just a group structure that many of us used in earlier OB versions.

As far as i see there are some errors in the UI and some shortcoming in the scheme. Like you defined a view on the technical side i defined a view on different zones like internet oder plantsensors. These concepts are not really supported.

I am waiting for a documentation on this, because in the locations tab you shoudl see your locations and i bet you see nothing.

I suggest not to put to much effort in that area yet

Cheers Thomas

1 Like

I thought openHAB3 is on the road to become more user friendly.
The more I see and play in openHAB3 I think it is getting even more complicated.

7 Likes

ah for the log i found ! this seems to work :slight_smile:
var logger = Java.type("org.slf4j.LoggerFactory").getLogger("org.eclipse.smarthome.automation.module.script.rulesupport.internal.shared.SimpleRule");
logger.error(message);

What loglevel is set for „jsr223.javascript“?

I guess it‘s warn. So debug/info is not logged.

@sihui At the moment it looks like that. But keep in mind that things are not ready. Example: Not persitence scheme editing in UI, not transformation editing in UI, Basic UI does not support Valuecoloe, labelcolor and visibily; Main Ui aloowes netes frames and the Android app is not able to display them, The analyse feature only works with rrd4j, a lot of documentation is missing, Locations, Equipment and Properties are not display in the desired tabs, … And we will find a dozen of other things that are not in place yet

I do not expect to just copy over my current setup to oh3 without massive changes to meet the new, currently unkown concepts Keep in mind development is developer driven and developers usually think a little different the the common end user

So i would suggest: Stay tuned and wait for more information

To quote some of the docs which I linked in the 3rd post of this thread…

Equipment’s are often mapped to Things but not always. You can represent a single Equipment with several Things - for instance a computer might have points to switch it on (send a wake-on-lan packet), off (shell command), determining if it’s online (network polling), how much power it consumes (Z-Wave wall plug). All these multiple Things from different bindings can be combined to model a single piece of Equipment.

In this example the Computer is the equipment and it could be located in the room called the study location. The computer is made up of multiple Things, some of which are not physical devices.

A front door can have points to determine if it’s open or closed (with a sensor) or locked (with a smart lock), and a camera/motion detector.

5 Likes

You’re trying to add equipment or point items to multiple locations, that’s not possible. Your Technik and KNX groups are not really locations and shouldn’t be part of the semantic model. If you check “Show non-semantic” at the bottom you’ll be able to see and add non-semantic groups & items.

There’s no need to include everything in the model at all costs, because it has shortcomings, that’s a rather obscure feature from OH2 which is only given a lot more spotlight… and obviously is not ready to handle every case under the sun yet.

One of the goals with this semantic model stuff is to try to identify some common relationships between items in a predictable way, for instance if you have a thermostat (represented by a group with an Equipment class) it would be valuable to identify with certainty and without manual mapping, which of the members of that group is the setpoint, the current temperature sensor, or the mode - regardless of the binding you’re using. Same thing for a media player - which items represent the track, artist, volume, album, mute, power, input source, album image and so on. For a sensor device you might have a battery level indicator, tamper alarm…

When we’re there you could for instance have a complete control in the UI for your thermostat or media player by simply pointing it to the Equipment group and it would find the rest automatically.

A strength of openHAB is that it gives you a lot of leeway when it comes to how you want to organize your functional layer (the items), and you can have it completely decoupled from your physical layer (the things), but then piecing information together reliably without manual intervention is a challenge. Organizing (part of) your items in a predictable semantic model is ultimately supposed to help you with that.

5 Likes

Hopefully the sematic model is not a dead end because of its short commings and complexity. I find it sometinge hard not to exchange a hieracicaly organised group structure with a semantic model. These are differnet. But concepts as zones or aeras are missing. For example a Heating Zone can cover the Livingroom, the kitchen and the dining room.

Just to mention that BasicUI is unchanged and of course valuecolor, labelcolor and visibility attributes from a sitemap are still applicable.