openHAB 3.0 Milestone 1 discussion

Hey @mstormi - Thanks!

Do you know if its a Java 11 thing, a Jython 2.72 thing or an OpenHab 3.0 thing? Or a mixture of all of them :slight_smile:

a mix of 2 & 3

Hi guys, after upgrading to the newest openHAB I’ve experienced some problems with installing openweathermap binding. I attach the logs from the console. Does anyone meet with a similar problem?

2020-10-28 18:43:01.469 [WARN ] [pache.cxf.jaxrs.sse.SseEventSinkImpl] - Prematurely completing the AsyncContext due to error encountered: org.eclipse.jetty.io.EofException
2020-10-28 18:43:01.623 [ERROR] [nal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler] - An error occurred while calling method 'ThingHandler.initialize()' on 'org.openhab.binding.openweathermap.internal.handler.OpenWeatherMapAPIHandler@56f11ba2': org/openhab/core/cache/ByteArrayFileCache
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/openhab/core/cache/ByteArrayFileCache
        at org.openhab.binding.openweathermap.internal.connection.OpenWeatherMapConnection.<clinit>(OpenWeatherMapConnection.java:92) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.openweathermap.internal.handler.OpenWeatherMapAPIHandler.initialize(OpenWeatherMapAPIHandler.java:106) ~[?:?]
        at jdk.internal.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor69.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
        at jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?]
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.internal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler.invokeDirect(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:152) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.core.internal.common.Invocation.call(Invocation.java:52) [bundleFile:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834) [?:?]
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.openhab.core.cache.ByteArrayFileCache cannot be found by org.openhab.binding.openweathermap_3.0.0.202010280343
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:433) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:395) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:387) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.loadClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:150) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:522) ~[?:?]
        ... 11 more
2020-10-28 18:43:01.631 [ERROR] [core.thing.internal.ThingManagerImpl] - Exception occurred while initializing handler of thing 'openweathermap:weather-api:api': org/openhab/core/cache/ByteArrayFileCache
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/openhab/core/cache/ByteArrayFileCache
        at org.openhab.binding.openweathermap.internal.connection.OpenWeatherMapConnection.<clinit>(OpenWeatherMapConnection.java:92) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.openweathermap.internal.handler.OpenWeatherMapAPIHandler.initialize(OpenWeatherMapAPIHandler.java:106) ~[?:?]
        at jdk.internal.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor69.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
        at jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.internal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler.invokeDirect(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:152) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.openhab.core.internal.common.Invocation.call(Invocation.java:52) [bundleFile:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.openhab.core.cache.ByteArrayFileCache cannot be found by org.openhab.binding.openweathermap_3.0.0.202010280343
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:433) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:395) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:387) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.loadClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:150) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:522) ~[?:?]
        ... 11 more

after restarting this now is thrown:

2020-10-28 19:11:15.058 [ERROR] [nal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler] - An error occurred while calling method 'ThingHandler.initialize()' on 'org.openhab.binding.openweathermap.internal.handler.OpenWeatherMapAPIHandler@514e43db': Could not initialize class org.openhab.binding.openweathermap.internal.connection.OpenWeatherMapConnection
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.openhab.binding.openweathermap.internal.connection.OpenWeatherMapConnection
        at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:?]
        at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:?]
2020-10-28 19:11:15.062 [ERROR] [core.thing.internal.ThingManagerImpl] - Exception occurred while initializing handler of thing 'openweathermap:weather-api:api': Could not initialize class org.openhab.binding.openweathermap.internal.connection.OpenWeatherMapConnection
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class org.openhab.binding.openweathermap.internal.connection.OpenWeatherMapConnection
        at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:?]
        at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:?]

These exceptions are probably the result of mixing newer incompatible SNAPSHOT add-ons with the older 3.0.0.M1 release @Mistral.

1 Like

Good on ya… I never managed to make any sense out of these lengthy error messages :slight_smile:

Could you please be more specific? I’m curious to hear what your reasoning is. @wborn seems to indicate that this is a Java thing…

But since the Jython jar is typically added to the classpath using EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS and not by being added to $OPENHAB_RUNTIME/lib/ext, it seems to me that there would be something more to it. I’m curious what the cause is, but this is very low in my backlog.

That is pretty hefty change. Shouldn’t that be mentioned prominently in the release notes and announcement?

4 Likes

There had been many posts saying that morquette is no longer maintained and buggy, so recommendation was to use mosquitto. I remember this before openHAB 2.5 was released…

5 Likes

Not everyone has the time or patience to read through thousands of posts to discover that a quite convenient (not matter how buggy) feature was removed.

3 Likes

That is one reason many people try to keep reasonably up to date on versions.

I remember one system I worked on, whenever I had a problem the first thing I would do is update to the latest patches & verify if the issue was still there. If I called paid support that is the first thing they would tell me anyway before helping further.

EDIT: Others that wait a long time just rebuild from scratch, duplicating their old setup.

1 Like

Yes, but we do speak of an unstable branch, don’t we?
This would be the place to discuss experiences with it, but don’t expect support on specific not yet final documented behaviour outside dev-channels… or did I miss something?

1 Like

Perhaps you can help others; where did you look, that you would expect this to be noted?

2 Likes

Meaning: others must do that so you don’t have to ?
It’s nowhere near “thousands of posts”. And to read the release notes and spend at least some time on a quick browse or search on the forum before you upgrade is a thing that can be expected from any user.
Even more so as we talk about a free product.

4 Likes

Hey guys, relax, please!
Yes, users clearly cannot follow the details of the many discussions that are going on here and developers don’t have the time and breath to do fully complete summaries and up-to-date documentation, especially for unreleased versions.
So let’s show understanding for each other and work together on improving the situation.

I have created https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/wiki/Breaking-Changes-in-openHAB-3 as a temporary place to gather the most relevant information - if all of us help keeping that list up to date (so yes, everyone has write access and is invited to help on it!), we should have a pretty complete and helpful list together by the time of the openHAB 3 release!

28 Likes

How is it going the time schedule??? Are you on track?? When is the release date planned like late December or early??

Hope and plan is to release just before Christmas, like the last years. Let’s see how work proceeds.
M2 is coming very soon.

6 Likes

@Kai Could you tell us a little bit about feature not implemented yet? I think everyone is keen to see the feature comming latest under the xmas tree.

What I see is that the main activity is to fix few remaining regressions (chart/persistence/rule for example) and to fix/improve the new main UI.

1 Like

What do you mean with it got removed? Its still there (in the docs).

As you can see… It says its no longer supported and considered deprecated. But its not removed!

This would be the first and most obvious place to start making changes, if its suppose to be removed! (my personal opinion).

This is openHAB 2.x Docs, not openHAB 3