openHAB 3.0 Milestone 4 discussion

I remember laggy Setpoint items, I think they’re not updated unless the item was. If a change triggers a rule to run, that to finalize is being waited for. With those issues of multiple rules not running in parallel (easily triggered if you push the setpoint often) I’d think the cause is rather to be found over there so wouldn’t bother specifically looking after setpoints.

Is this a general recommendation to anyone having .rules files? I’m still on M3 and I don’t dare trying M4 if my rules won’t work :slight_smile:

1 Like

I cannot really judge whether the issues show up for everyone or just a few, but I’d consider it a bit risky to be honest. So if you want something quickly, I can confirm that the latest snapshot is fixed already. If you can wait, you might want to go for M5 next weekend. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can confirm that my textual defined rules are back working with SNAPSHOT 2037.
Thanks @Kai for the superquick fix.

Hi Markus,

I don’t have any rules relating to setpoints, so I don’t believe this is the cause…

Cheers,

Paul

11 posts were split to a new topic: Zwave parameters rejected in 3.0M4

You could do that if everything is in text files, you want nothing to change & everything is compatible with OH3.

Some people use a change like this as an opportunity to make other changes - clean up rules, restructure groups, etc.

Ah I see what you mean. Yes all my items & rules are text files… they took a lot of work haha so one is inclined to try keep them going… I have observed from reading the forums that people seem to tie themselves in knots with rules and all those ‘threads’ running and spinning… :crazy_face: … I have experimented with Node Red and it seems a simpler and graphical way to go if one is writing rules involving anything to do with TIME/TIMERS.

Just a few questions.
How will the upgrade process from 2.5.x will look like?
What are the major changes from 2.5.x to 3.x ?

Is there a documention what will be newly introduced, and what features will be omitted?

Thanks in advance!

I believe a wizard was mentioned at one point but I’ve no idea on the current status of that.

No more support for 1.x bindings.

Changes in name spaces which shouldn’t impact users but might depending on how deep into the weeds users have gone (e.g. getting Items from the Item Registry in rules).

now and the first argument to createTimer no longer use Joda DateTime and instead use Java’s built in ZonedDateTime.

No more PaperUI or HABmin, both replaced by MainUI.

A much greater emphasis on building a semantic model with your Items so UIs like the following can automatically be created.

A list of breaking changes will probably be included, as always, in the announcements. I think there will be a migration tutorial. And there is a good start to getting started docs at Getting Started with OH3: rewriting the tutorial - 1. Introduction

1 Like

Thanks a lot for all of this infos.
Does “Basic UI” and HABPAnel “survive”?

They are under a separate menu in the upper right accessible from the opening screen

Hello,
how can I clear the homekit Pairings?
in OH 2.5 it was posible with “smarthome:homekit clearPairings” in the the OSGi console.

On my first try OH3 was only a device in Homekit and not as a bridge.

Have found a solution now it’s “openhab:homekit clearPairings”

There are no plans or works going on beyond what has been the upgrade process in older versions.
(the wizard is what’s already there if you start from scratch.)

All of the devs are busy on other fronts. We’re looking for contributors to write a migration tutorial.
Any takers ?

Unfortunately I’m focusing my efforts on the getting started tutorial and I’m not actually migrating my config but instead rebuilding it from scratch on OH 3 so am not a good candidate this time around. But I’m happy to help out where I can. I can definitely provide lessons learned from writing the 1.8 to 2.0 migration tutorial way back when. :wink:

May I ask a very stupid question?

How to I open the new ui within openhab3 and how to design it is there any example?

The new ui can be opened by calling the following address in a webbrowser http://yourOH3ip:8080
(Replace yourOH3ip with the ip address of your openhab server). If you are running on docker the port might be different.

A good starting point on building the ui is here: [wiki] Building Pages in the OH3 UI: documentation draft (1/3)

It is difficult to set the auto-update property for an item to false when using the new UI.

1. If no Auto-Update Metadata is defined for an item, auto-update defaults to active.
  2. By adding Auto-Update Metadata for an item and setting “Force auto-update” to ON you can set the auto-update property for an item to true.
  3. If “Force auto-update” is set to OFF the auto-update value is blank and auto-update defaults to active.
  4. It is (only?) possible to set auto-update for an item to false by using the Auto-Update Metadate code page and setting the auto-update value to “false”.

Rich, are going to use text files for 3.0 or are you going all in on the new UI? Given your long history and experience with OH I admit I’m curious!

Thanks,

~Mark