openHAB 3.0 Milestone 4 discussion

No, see https://github.com/openhab/openhab-core/issues/1852 , which was reported for M3 already.

Unfortunately, that page is unusably slow when I load it (yes I should file a bug, I will attempt to do that this week). It can take close to a minute to scroll to a letter, and good luck click in the search bar. To be honest, even if the page did load, it isnā€™t the most elegant solution for those of us that are ā€œCLI junkiesā€. Itā€™s rare for me to pull the GUI up at all (my system is almost entirely voice controlled or triggered via inputs from motion sensors, remotes, etc). Also, I tend to do a bunch of work remotely (lunch breaks and things like that) and I only pull an SSH session back remotely which makes GUI access unavailable. Is it not ā€œeasilyā€ remedied by adding the rule name to the error message that is thrown (in addition to the new rule identifier)?

You can use ssh port forwarding to access the web based GUI behind your firewall.

Normally yes, I would do that. Unfortunately itā€™s not as easy given that Iā€™m pulling the SSH session back through guacamole. Either way, my point was that this was something we lost between 2.5 and 3.0 and the fix should be relatively trivial. Iā€™ll file it as a feature request.

EDIT: Iā€™ve posted this now: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-core/issues/1871

The new Pushover Binding seems to be missing:

1 Like

Never mind, itā€™s only in M4, not in the snapshot from the same day :frowning:
grafik

1 Like

Yep. I just wanted to report that again and tell sollution. Just open:

/var/lib/apt/lists/openhab.jfrog.io_openhab_openhab-linuxpkg_dists_testing_main_binary-i386_Packages

file for edition, go to almost end of the file and find:

Filename: pool/main/2.5.10/openhab2-addons_2.5.10-1_all.deb
SHA1: 1c171649fd4eb803db7fa04a21ec3feb21fa414d
SHA256: f7a240a166295b336afead20cc0af32aaeb2f1b1de425d0910ded9453d363ce6
Size: 199086412

as you can see this section is quite different from others, it does not contain Package at the beggining for example. When you remove this section from this file you will be able to perform update operation and upgrade your OH instance.

1 Like

I have an interesting one here - I have a Setpoint item in my sitemap - but it only works intermittently to change the temperature. I think this worked in M3.

I have two installations running M4 - both behave in a similar manner. When I click the up/down arrows nothing is registered in the openhab logs.

Also, the same behaviour whether the sitemap is loaded in Chrome or via the Openhab app.

1 Like

I remember laggy Setpoint items, I think theyā€™re not updated unless the item was. If a change triggers a rule to run, that to finalize is being waited for. With those issues of multiple rules not running in parallel (easily triggered if you push the setpoint often) Iā€™d think the cause is rather to be found over there so wouldnā€™t bother specifically looking after setpoints.

Is this a general recommendation to anyone having .rules files? Iā€™m still on M3 and I donā€™t dare trying M4 if my rules wonā€™t work :slight_smile:

1 Like

I cannot really judge whether the issues show up for everyone or just a few, but Iā€™d consider it a bit risky to be honest. So if you want something quickly, I can confirm that the latest snapshot is fixed already. If you can wait, you might want to go for M5 next weekend. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can confirm that my textual defined rules are back working with SNAPSHOT 2037.
Thanks @Kai for the superquick fix.

Hi Markus,

I donā€™t have any rules relating to setpoints, so I donā€™t believe this is the causeā€¦

Cheers,

Paul

11 posts were split to a new topic: Zwave parameters rejected in 3.0M4

You could do that if everything is in text files, you want nothing to change & everything is compatible with OH3.

Some people use a change like this as an opportunity to make other changes - clean up rules, restructure groups, etc.

Ah I see what you mean. Yes all my items & rules are text filesā€¦ they took a lot of work haha so one is inclined to try keep them goingā€¦ I have observed from reading the forums that people seem to tie themselves in knots with rules and all those ā€˜threadsā€™ running and spinningā€¦ :crazy_face: ā€¦ I have experimented with Node Red and it seems a simpler and graphical way to go if one is writing rules involving anything to do with TIME/TIMERS.

Just a few questions.
How will the upgrade process from 2.5.x will look like?
What are the major changes from 2.5.x to 3.x ?

Is there a documention what will be newly introduced, and what features will be omitted?

Thanks in advance!

I believe a wizard was mentioned at one point but Iā€™ve no idea on the current status of that.

No more support for 1.x bindings.

Changes in name spaces which shouldnā€™t impact users but might depending on how deep into the weeds users have gone (e.g. getting Items from the Item Registry in rules).

now and the first argument to createTimer no longer use Joda DateTime and instead use Javaā€™s built in ZonedDateTime.

No more PaperUI or HABmin, both replaced by MainUI.

A much greater emphasis on building a semantic model with your Items so UIs like the following can automatically be created.

A list of breaking changes will probably be included, as always, in the announcements. I think there will be a migration tutorial. And there is a good start to getting started docs at [wiki] Getting Started with OH3: rewriting the tutorial - 1. Introduction

1 Like

Thanks a lot for all of this infos.
Does ā€œBasic UIā€ and HABPAnel ā€œsurviveā€?

They are under a separate menu in the upper right accessible from the opening screen