openHAB 3.0 Milestone 5 discussion

I think the rules engine in M5 is rather sick; it seems unable to parse simple things like ON, OFF, NULL, triggeringItem, newState (see below) => shall I open an Issue, or is this already known?

2020-12-12 14:25:06.323 [ERROR] [internal.handler.ScriptActionHandler] - Script execution of rule with UID '24g-25' failed: The name 'ON' cannot be resolved to an item or type; line 592, column 30, length 2 in 24g

2020-12-12 14:25:06.326 [ERROR] [internal.handler.ScriptActionHandler] - Script execution of rule with UID '24g-6' failed: The name 'NULL' cannot be resolved to an item or type; line 182, column 21, length 4 in 24g

2020-12-12 14:25:06.339 [ERROR] [internal.handler.ScriptActionHandler] - Script execution of rule with UID '24g-1' failed: The name 'OFF' cannot be resolved to an item or type; line 97, column 30, length 3 in 24g

2020-12-12 14:25:06.567 [ERROR] [internal.handler.ScriptActionHandler] - Script execution of rule with UID '24g-25' failed: The name 'newState' cannot be resolved to an item or type; line 577, column 13, length 8 in 24g

2020-12-12 14:25:07.020 [ERROR] [internal.handler.ScriptActionHandler] - Script execution of rule with UID '24g-23' failed: The name 'triggeringItem' cannot be resolved to an item or type; line 544, column 20, length 14 in 24g

I see you use Docker Compose, so all you have to do is change the image tag from 3.0.0.M5 to 3.0.0.RC1 and then run sudo docker-compose up -d in the directory of your docker-compose.yml. That will make it pull the new image and recreate your existing container using your existing configuration and data.

All the Main UI configuration is stored in the userdata volume. When you upgrade it will automatically create a .tar.gz backup of your data in userdata/backup before it modifies anything.

I suggest to add a “Edit” button here to jump straight to settings/pages/layout/overview

2 Likes

But they stated

where did you look? /opt/openhab/userdata?

If that is empty that can be an issue that needs to be resolved before trying to upgrade. If your data is stored in the container, upgrading would involve starting again.

Is there a way to select all items at once within the bulk selection in main ui?

I had what maybe is a similar problem that I described in the following.

Hi @wborn and @Bruce_Osborne,

Thank you for your help - I troubleshot the issue with mounting the local directory - my docker-compose.yml had the wrong syntax for the mounts of local directories - corrected one is below:

version: '2.2'

services:
  openhab:
    image: "openhab/openhab:3.0.0.M5"
    restart: always
    network_mode: host
    volumes:
      - "/etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro"
      - "/etc/timezone:/etc/timezone:ro"
      - "/opt/openhab/addons:/openhab/addons"
      - "/opt/openhab/conf:/openhab/conf"
      - "/opt/openhab/userdata:/openhab/userdata"
    environment:
      OPENHAB_HTTP_PORT: "8080"
      OPENHAB_HTTPS_PORT: "8443"
      EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS: "-Duser.timezone=US/Central"

Now everything works exactly as I expected - I experimented with removing and re-creating the container a few times, and behaviour is as expected - I can pick up where I left off, no lost items, etc.

NB: I didn’t have to change the UID or GID the container was running, it sufficed to add my local user to the openhab group, and give the group rw permissions for the local directories I wanted to mount.

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

I thought it best to get that correct before you git an upgrade “surprise”.

Same problem for the Windows version just right now (12.12.2020, 22:10 CET):

While I am quite aware of the fact that 90% plus all of users are on Linux it would be nice if the links for other officially supported OS combinations would also be updated (and this is not the first time).

1 Like

. I did not notice that the myopenhab.com is not working and thus Alexa is broken.

The service is working with OH3, as is Alexa integration. You might want to check the logs why its not working for you. It’s not clear if you upgraded or installed a new system? If a new system, it’s possible your UUID changed and you need to change that in your myopenhab.org account.

I highly recommend looking into Windows subsystem for Linux. It’s also pretty easy to figure out how to find other versions of the download, just look at the path for

and adjust accordingly.

That is exactly what I did as a workaround.
However the first best way should be that the page is maintained for all officially supported OS. So I just wanted to point to that. So instead of telling people to convert to Linux or to force them to wonder themselvers how the URL logic is built it would be more constructive to say " thank you for the construtive hint, we will update this". :wink:

It’s an open source project, you could make the update yourself :grinning:

No, I am not sure that the official download section of the homepage is also maintainable .
But after looking at the page again for all OS combinations I have to clarify: It is not only MacOS or Windows, but ALL Links are outdated, even the one for Linux:

So the hint to the maintainers is rather not to forget the Update of this Page when the next milestone is released. But as most Linux users do not download from that page but use apt/get the other OS combinations are definitely more affected.

Yeah, sorry about that. It will get sorted by the time the release comes out.

1 Like

I highly recommend looking into Windows subsystem for Linux

Be careful. I tried Docker with WSL2 (Windows 10 Home) and Microsoft removed access to USB devices in WSL2. :frowning:

It will be coming back, and it should still work with WSL1.

1 Like

Docker does not work well with WSL1 & Windows 10 Home, does it? I have been focussing lately on using Docker for OH.

A quick google search brought up this: https://nickjanetakis.com/blog/setting-up-docker-for-windows-and-wsl-to-work-flawlessly

1 Like

Hopefully they fix WSL2. Having a true Linux kernel helps a lot with compatibility.

That link is a workaround for the default flawed Docker installation though.

1 Like