openHAB 3.0 Milestone 5 discussion

Thank you @rlkoshak for your elaborated comment! It helps to get things clearer now :+1:

Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m in the right place, but I noticed that the Developer Sidebar does not update properly.
Example:
via the Dev Sidebar I called a rule; next iā€™Ve deleted this rule; ā€¦ and the link to the deleted object remains in the sidebar.

Definitely a small thing with lowest prioā€¦

To be sure it is handled, open a issue on GitHub for the UI.

That is how I work out my model, I ask myself what I would want to do and how I want it to work if I am speaking to an AI. It makes it easiest to make the right choice and create the model how I want to ask HABbot to do things. It is modelling the real world.

I really like the openHAB way far better than Hass, which you can choose to use openHAB as a flat location list if you want, or you can step it up to something far more powerful. Extra choice.

Unfortunately, I canā€™t put that in the items list, where it would be most useful, same for the initials headers, because this list is a special ā€œvirtual listā€ and these are not compatible with each other :disappointed:

That was the master plan :wink: there was little incentive in building a model just for HABot in OH2, and there was little UI support to help doing it, so itā€™s not been not successful. But now that you do have more incentive and itā€™s become the recommended way to organize items, you basically get HABot functionality for free!

1 Like

Iā€™m getting:

[org.jline ] - Failed to save history
java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: /var/lib/openhab2

Why itā€™s pointing to /var/lib/openhab2 - not /var/lib/openhab ?

Check the home dir location for the openhab user. I had the same error after upgrading and found out that it was still set to /var/lib/openhab2. After changing that the error disappeared.

1 Like

Thanks, there was still old path /var/lib/openhab2. It should be included somewhere in info, or updated during deploy.

1 Like

+1 on that. I planned to mention that somewhere but I think I didnā€™t.

Also, for the record, I followed instructions (donā€™t remember exactly where) on how to purge OH2 data and then recreate the openhab user using scripts in the OH3 package, still the user was created using the wrong path.

Iā€™m using apt packages in Debian. Thinking about it though, this might be the wrong thread, maybe itā€™s more package related than pure OH3. Something for @Benjy?

1 Like

I have no Blockly button in script windows (Ctrl-D does nothing). I run OH3 snapshot in docker. Is this a bug or I need something else installed to see Blockly button (script is empty)? I cannot see blocky on Windows setup either (Windows 10 20H0), Zulu 11 latest.
It was an issue with M4, yet in M5 but right now Build #2050 is isntalled and still no Blockly. This may not be related to M5 onlyā€¦

I have imported(Developer-Tool) a Group-Item with Aggregation-Function:

Group:Switch:OR(ON,OFF)           gLight          "Licht [MAP(de.map):%s]"                <light>               (Home)
Group:Contact:OR(OPEN,CLOSED)     gDoor           "TĆ¼ren [MAP(de.map):%s]"                <door>                (Home)

and got an Error-Message in the Logger:

2020-12-08 00:15:22.813 [ERROR] [e.internal.items.GroupFunctionHelper] - Group function 'OR' requires two arguments. Using Equality instead.
2020-12-08 00:15:22.820 [ERROR] [e.internal.items.GroupFunctionHelper] - Group function 'OR' requires two arguments. Using Equality instead.
2020-12-08 00:15:22.826 [ERROR] [e.internal.items.GroupFunctionHelper] - Group function 'OR' requires two arguments. Using Equality instead.

Whatā€™s wrong ? Any idea ?

Sorry, I wasnā€™t aware of this bug. Created openhab-linuxpkg/#191 to fix and am currently testing before merge.

4 Likes

Completely my fault. I did never report it :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Does anybody else have problems with mapdb persistence in M5 ?

Mine doesnā€™t work and has a ā€œwaitingā€ status in console. A feature:uninstall .... feature:install for me results in

2020-12-08 15:44:24.066 [DEBUG] [pdb.internal.MapDbPersistenceService] - MapDB persistence service is being activated
2020-12-08 15:44:24.271 [ERROR] [org.openhab.persistence.mapdb       ] - bundle org.openhab.persistence.mapdb:3.0.0.202012071005 (287)[org.openhab.persistence.mapdb.internal.MapDbPersistenceService(373)] : The activate method has thrown an exception
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.openhab.persistence.mapdb.internal.MapDBitemSerializer cannot be found by org.openhab.persistence.mapdb_3.0.0.202012071005
        at org.mapdb.SerializerPojo.classForName(SerializerPojo.java:99) ~[?:?]
        at org.mapdb.SerializerPojo.<init>(SerializerPojo.java:116) ~[?:?]
        at org.mapdb.Store.getSerializerPojo(Store.java:113) ~[?:?]
        at org.mapdb.EngineWrapper.getSerializerPojo(EngineWrapper.java:135) ~[?:?]
        at org.mapdb.EngineWrapper.getSerializerPojo(EngineWrapper.java:135) ~[?:?]

EDIT: SOLVED. I had to delete the mapdb files - whyever.

DateTime is basically a numerical value, it represents an amount of time from epoch. I created an issue to add support for it to rrd4j: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-addons/issues/9292

For a while now, Iā€™ve been seeing sporadic high CPU and memory utilization on my OH3 environment. Only yesterday I was able to determine that the behavior occurs whenever I save changes to an items file. Itā€™s especially severe (high CPU and memory for several minutes) when the items file contains a large number of items (e.g. > 100).

Iā€™m not sure if this really is a M5 issue, as it was occurring before M5. I suppose it also could be an issue with my installation.

Iā€™m posting to see if anyone else has seen this behavior. It manifests itself a couple different ways.

• If I try to shutdown openHAB immediately after I save an .items file, it takes 1.5 minutes for OH to shutdown. And, it only shuts down because the systemctl timeout causes systemctl to kill the openHAB process (the timeout is currently 90 seconds).

• After saving changes to one items file, if I immediately save changes to another items file, the normal ā€œLoading modelā€¦ā€ log message doesnā€™t show up in the log file right away. It shows up a few minutes later after OH finishes whatever itā€™s doing with the first file.

• Looking at cpu utilization in top or pidstat, I see elevated cpu utilization for anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes, depending on the number of items in the file.

Hereā€™s an example from VisualVM. You can see very stable/normal cpu and memory utilization. The red arrows represent when I saved the items file, and you can see where something is consuming 1 of the 4 cpus in my box for about 3 minutes.

Looking at thread utilization in VisualVM, I see the OH-file-processing-NN thread consuming large amounts of CPU and memory for several minutes.

Is anyone else seeing behavior like this? If not, maybe itā€™s an issue with my installation, so maybe I should blow away the install and start from scratch.

Edit: I should note that this installation currently has no rules defined.

Edit: I opened an issue as I was able to reproduce the problem on a fresh install with nothing but a single items file containing 405 items.

Edit: This issue is fixed in build 2060. Thanks @wborn!!

4 Likes

Wasnā€™t it like that ever ? All rules files that used any of the items from the file you changed get recompiled, causing the load you see.
I took the opportunity and imported my .items in the Main GUI rather than to load them as files.
Havenā€™t encountered that issue since (because the Xtend-internal dependency is gone).

I currently donā€™t have any rules files.

I should explain this a bit. The system in question is a test system that Iā€™ve been using to test OH3. At this time, I havenā€™t created any rules yet.

1 Like

Perhaps Iā€™m misinterpreting your comment, and if so Iā€™m sorry. But, I donā€™t think itā€™s correct to determine blame without knowing the true cause. It didnā€™t take minutes to load an items file in 2.5, and 2.5 used xtend.

1 Like