openHAB 3.0 Milestone 5 discussion

All things considered, given the Blockly is intended for the new and not programmer type user, we should really make it more prominent and obvious how to get to it. Is there no way to just make it as a selection along side ECMAScript and Rules DSL? I understand how that might be difficult given what I know about how it all works (as limited as my knowledge extends in that regard) but I think we need to make getting to Blockly super obvious for the users who would be drawn to use Blockly in the first place.

Also, why does it work differently if I click on the Script Action and then click on Edit or the [ ] options from clicking on the edit icon? I’d have expected at least the [] option to take me to the same place but apparently it does not because the code color coding doesn’t even work there.

Here is what a simple script action I have looks when I click on the edit icon:

Here is what it looks like when I select the action and then choose “Edit Script”

And here is what it looks like when I select the [] option.

I was actually going to file an issue this evening about the fact that the code highlighting wasn’t working everywhere. But I think something else is going on now.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s not good, and it’s not only about Blockly.

I’m not particularly happy about this UX when you add a module:

It takes some effort to parse the list to figure out which module to pick and it’s often the same thing, something happening to items, most likely, or doing something to them. So the list could remain as a fallback but what should be presented here is something much more friendly. A series of buttons with the most popular actions, including a scripted action with or without Blockly, and not some generic way of configuring a module like that.

If there will be improvement before the release candidate, I’m not sure.

3 Likes

Yes that would be an UX improvement. Personally, I like the way Bosch has implemented this. Transferring this idea into OH3 would mean:
For triggers you could select from all available points grouped by Sematic Property from the model ie. temperature for example.
Conditions: Would be state of available items or a selector for time and day of the week.

I agree, selecting a trigger could be much nicer. But I think fixing that would be a lower priority to fixing the Blockly problem and fixing the list of binding actions in the actions list (either make them work or remove them, I’ve not checked in awhile I don’t know if there has been any movement on the issue for that on openhab-core). The list of triggers is basically fixed. So with a little bit of docs and a little bit of experience even basic users can become comfortable with it. The Blockly problem and list of binding actions is already causing problems for users.

We need to cover Blockly and script actions better in the rules part of the tutorial anyway so we might just need to cover it in the docs if we can’t fix these before the release. So long as we remember to go back and fix them later. :smiley:

1 Like

I also had that issue.
Then, after burning the image and updating openhabian.conf (for my WIFI), I also increased the log level, setting debugmode=on in that same file.
When I then started the upgrade to Openhab3, I noticed all of a sudden I got prompts about overwriting files. Did not see that with minimal logging and I guess this is why it was hanging and never continued.
Answered every question with Y (overwrite), and the installation is now continuing.
Not up and running yet though but that is another discussion :slight_smile:

3 posts were split to a new topic: openHABian, Java 11

Finally got my head straight(er) and used the configuration tool to do the work. Dealt with the issue that Bucofski noted (by hitting ‘Y’ 5 times), enabled and started the service, got the web page up, created the user and set the location. Tried to add 2 add-ons (basicUI and z-wave) and got the following

With this entry in the log file

2020-12-09 02:08:42.633 [INFO ] [org.openhab.ui.internal.UIService ] - Started UI on port 8080
2020-12-09 02:09:19.738 [INFO ] [.core.model.lsp.internal.ModelServer] - Started Language Server Protocol (LSP) service on port 5007
2020-12-09 02:09:37.110 [INFO ] [p.auth.internal.AuthorizePageServlet] - First user account created: derek
2020-12-09 02:09:43.006 [INFO ] [.core.internal.i18n.I18nProviderImpl] - Time zone set to ‘America/Denver’.
2020-12-09 02:09:43.011 [INFO ] [.core.internal.i18n.I18nProviderImpl] - Locale set to ‘en_US’.
2020-12-09 02:10:27.689 [INFO ] [.core.internal.i18n.I18nProviderImpl] - Location set to {removed}.
2020-12-09 02:11:14.366 [ERROR] [t.core.internal.addons.AddonResource] - Exception while installing add-on: null

EDIT: Page refresh took me back to the start-up. I didn’t add location or add-ons. Main screen came up. Tried to add any add-on through the settings menu gave the same ‘null’ message in the log.

Owkay will try that today or tomorrow! Thx for the tip!

I’m trying to upgrade to M5 via openhab-config, following above instruction in the documentation but installation of openHAB3 ‘hangs’ at ‘Installing selected openHAB version …’ and never finishes.
Is this supposed to work currently at all or am I missing anything?
Thanks.

2 posts were split to a new topic: InfluxDB issue with 3.0M5

It’s odd that you’d have to install Basic UI at all, because it’s supposed to be installed by default. Definitely something wrong here!

did you try to add your addons in this file /var/lib/openhab/config/org/openhab/addons.cfg. The last install i did it al in that file…

I’ve just started playing with OH3 M5, and stumbled above the following (not sure if there’s a GIT issue)
After installing the AVM Binding and configuring all of the data, the FritzBox jumps to “ONLINE”:

Everytime I switch to the code section of the thing:

The status of the thing gets set to UNKNOWN when switching back to the THING section.

Disabling/Enabling the thing resolves the problem.
Not sure if this issue is already known. If it is not, I gladly will open a GitHub Issue.

I assume you mean addons.config I thought that was a cache file maintained by OH. I have only edited that to remove invalid addons cached after an upgrade.

if you can add you’re binding in there but should only do it to test if you can add bindings of that’s broken also…

sorry for my bad english, but what i was trying to say was. You can add you’re binding in that file and test if the binding is active and works… it is not something you have to do every time, but for testing reasons you can

I would use the addons directory for that.

yes that’s true, but then you only know that the manual config works. Then you still don’t know if the file is corrupt, missing or for whatever reason it doesn’t work… It is only a test.

Hello since M5 i get alwyss this error

Some bad stuff happened in "read ephemeris files": java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: 2021-03-27T20:37:19.154840+01:00[Europe/Berlin] is not in a valid format.

I am using the standard holiday file

Hello,
Yannick mentioned in the Meetup 2020 Demo the setup and configuration of MQTT broker.
I tried to follow his steps in my brand new MS5 test installation but I haven’t had the success of autodiscovering (Inbox items).
I tried that with my existing OH2 Mosquitto MQTT server.
The broker is going ONLINE but no entries in the inbox. Manual configuration are successful… but liked the autodiscovery feature :wink:
Does anybody can give me a hint where my knot in my thoughts can be located?
Thanks a lot!