openHAB 3.0 Release Candidates discussion

Why did you not use the repo package (apt) install? Then you would have upgrade commands available. Currently apt knows nothing about your non-package installation.

I had troubles connecting to the repo and followed the recommendation below.
+++
Troubleshooting

If you have trouble connecting to the repo with an error that looks like:

Unknown date format Bad header data [IP: XX.XX.XX.XX 443]

then in place of the install command, you can use the file directly e.g.:

wget https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/list/openhab-linuxpkg/pool/main/3.0.0~S1919/openhab_3.0.0~S1919-1_all.deb
sudo apt install ./openhab_3.0.0~S1919-1_all.deb

For later versions than the example above, the list of versions can be found here 272.
+++

I was unaware of the implications of that install…

How do I best get on to RC2 and further?
Remove M5 and do a new fresh install from the repo? then restore backup?

Yes I’m ONLINE and I can receive Notifications, I see my iOS devices, can send messages, etc, but I cannot access the OH3 Dashboard. If I switch to OH2 everything works as expected. I even did a clean install of OH3 and I get the same results, so I am pretty much convinced that it is not my setup. Also the GPSTracker binding/OWNTracks iOS client works fine when connecting through my openhab.org, with OH2 but fails with OH3. I continue to get Gateway 500, 504 failures with OH3. OH2 I am able see my dashboards.

This is a fairly big deal for me as I rely on GPSTracker for part of my presence detection. The Dashboard not being available I can live with since I can VPN to server, but GPSTracker/OWNTracks not being able to connect through myopenhab.org will eliminate my ability to make OH3 my production system at this time.

Please make shure to login through

home.myopenhab.org

not

myopenhab.org

This is the important difference!

1 Like

Correct. All of my clients link to https://home.myopenhab.org. The default settings for the Cloud Connector addon in both OH2 and OH3 is https://myopenhab.org so that is what I’m using, although I attempted to use https://home.myopenhab.org as well but I didn’t see any benefit so I reverted to default.

I guess, there is still some kind of misunderstanding.
You don’t need the App on iOS devices to access the dashboard remotely.
In Safari, go to

home.myopenhab.org

and sign in, you should now see the following:

Click to access your dashboard should lead you to your openHAB

Now add it to your homescreen

Only Culprit by using it this way, you won’t have the nice icon. But this will be implemented later within the app.

If this does not work for you, then there is something wrong within your installation.

A post was split to a new topic: InfluxDB not working after upgrade to OH3

2 posts were split to a new topic: Hue binding exceptions in OH3RC2

2 posts were split to a new topic: Yio binding

Weird, normally you get the icon. It’s probably because of the basic auth you have on myopenhab.

A post was split to a new topic: Slider scaling on OH3

Yes iOS is really picky. If have my instance running behind a reverse proxy with client certificate authentication. This will also keep it from using the icon on the Home Screen. Thus, I would really like to see the main UI be integrated into the iOS app.

Thanks for taking time to respond to my issue. I understand that that I should be to access the dashboard directly from Home using a standard web browser such as Safari. However it does not work for me with OH3. It does work if I’m running OH2 however and I have been using it with OH2 for almost 2 years now. My point was that not only does direct access from Home not work, but also my iOS apps also do not work. All give me a time out 500 or 504 error. However, strangely, at least to me, is that Notifications/Messages to my iOS device from the myopenhab.org server work just fine, so some level of connection is established. As you say it may be an installation problem, or in my case a migration issue as I am running Dockers, but I tried a clean install without migrating and I saw the same problem. I will continue to evaluate and report back if I find a solution or the root cause.

I am not talking about accessing your dashboard from home.
My Screenshots are showing a remote connection through home.myopenhabg.org to my OH3 installation. So it is proven working and not only for me.

A post was split to a new topic: Colorpicker in OH3

Hi,
I noticed two problems on my OH3 installation:

• With an influxdb v1 database, OH always read historical historical state of switch items as OFF. The value is well stored in the database (I can see it with grafana). It seems linked to these posts:
  • File global variables (with var keyword) in old DSL rules are always null when initialized outside any rule. File global constants (with val keyword) are OK.

Shall I open new issues on github?

2 Likes

I have the same issue, historical switch items are always OFF. Also see my post here:

https://community.openhab.org/t/oh3-rule-check-in-a-rule-if-item-was-on-in-past-30-minutes/

SOLVED: I went back through my notes and realized that I had the same problem when I updated from 2.4 to 2.5 wherein I was unable to use home.myopenhab.org to access my dashboards. The root cause of the problem is that I am running a high core count (32 core) server and Jetty chokes. The solution is to either pin the Docker to use only 4 cores or modify the services/runtime.cfg. I had made the modifications to my 2.5.9 installation but OH3 changes from “eclipse.smarthome” to “openhab” and those changes have to be done manually.

For future reference: in Openhab 3.0 org.eclipse.smarthome.webclient has changed to org.openhab.webclient. So it becomes:

org.eclipse.smarthome.webclient:minThreadsShared=20
org.eclipse.smarthome.webclient:maxThreadsShared=40

org.eclipse.smarthome.webclient:minThreadsCustom=15
org.eclipse.smarthome.webclient:maxThreadsCustom=40

Thanks to @mhilbush and @arjanmels for the fix as now my OH3 is running without any issues.

UPDATE: My issue is definitely a Docker problem unique to my installation. I haven’t yet resolved it, but I was able to install OH3 on my Server using a VM and it worked fine, so not a network or OH3 problem, but a local docker install issue. Thanks again for responses.

My apologies. My shorthand seemed to create additional and unnecessary confusion. I am using Home = home.myopenhab.org as that is the Tab on the website. I also have no doubt others are able to access OH3 from home.myopenhab.org, but every time I try I get

openHAB connection error: HttpClient@4016d1a5{FAILED} is stopped

I just created a fresh Docker and did a clean install and I get the same error. myopenhab.org shows that I am ONLINE and I am able to send messages to my iOS device but I am not able to access the dashboard. I will continue to evaluate, but I am curious as to whether you are using a Docker install or another type of setup such as a Pi? I know it shouldn’t make a difference but I am trying to eliminate possible causes.

Which Docker image? Alpine or Debian? The default is Debian. I tried the Alpine image with H2 and moved to Debian due to issues.

I use debian.

1 Like