openHAB 3.0 Release discussion

No change. Important directories are empty. At least i have copied the zip to windows and checked the ZIP file there.

version 3.0.2 has just been released. Does it have the newer OSGi version of the 3.1.0 repo?

No such upgrades are too risky for bugfix releases like 3.0.2. It will be part of 3.1.0.M4.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification, Officially Z-Wave users with newer devices need to wait 8 months to run a stable version of OH since SNAPSHOT updates for database changes are broken for 3.0.x users.

Bruce this is nonsense and ultimately wrong as discussed on the other thread. ZWave works fine and is up to date in 3.1 snapshots. Any user in need of new devices can OFFICIALLY use 3.1 snapshots or milestones.
Repeating this negative claim over and over doesn’t make it any better so would you finally please stop shouting that around.

If you check the following topic, you will see how to provide an up-to-date Z-Wave binding for openhab 3.0.1 or 3.0.2…

The zwave database could also be updated by @chris on the zwave 3.0.x branch similar to how it was updated on the 2.5.x branch.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of this branch. We seem to randomly change branches these days with no notice - the change from master to main was made with no notification and that also broke things for ages :frowning:

I’ll try to set up a script to update this branch as well…

4 Likes

That is a good solution but this is the first time I have seen it mentioned.

I’m not a heavyweight in the OH community and have limited technical skills (I use openhabian under the promise you don’t have to be a linux expert to use OH), but have to agree with Bruce’s concern. I had a new zwave device and try to basically run with the stable version (or at least testing) but had to move to snapshot 2310, beyond M3. I think a change like this should have waited until at least a milestone. There are a constant stream of new Z-wave devices coming out. My two cents.

Bob

But the point of a stable version is that it does not change, especially not involving the ‘latest thing’. Cake and eat it.

1 Like

Maybe 3.0.2 release notes should mention if add’ons were improved over 3.0.1 or not. I’m on 3.1.0.M3 and I’m using some of the new add’ons, and improved versions of existing ones. If I install 3.0.2 will I revert to older add’ons ?

What other option was there when the binding was developed and had to have all Thing definitions in the binding? There are now over 1200 different device entries.The developers in charge were well aware of the need for updates here. In fact 3.0.3 does not have even close to an updated database. That binding was last updated in December 2020.

Not going to argue, since you have been a big help. I will point out I did consider the zwave binding updates due to new devices as stable. I don’t track it but there are two to three a week. Never had a problem, just dropping a new .jar in the addons, leaving the rest of OH alone, until this OSGi thing. Guess I was lulled to sleep.

Bob

So firstly, my apologies for the mess. As the developer I’ll take responsibility for not updating this, although I will say that I was not aware of this branch being used for this release, and that is why the database was not updated. I assume that the database in this branch is from when the branch was created and that’s why it is so old as I’ve not updated it - ever.

I’ve now created a new script to also update this branch - along with the 2.5.x and main branches and will try and keep everything up to date. Clearly this will only be built when builds are done so it won’t immediately update anything now - sorry.

3 Likes

Don’t be sorry; that seems to be a huge chore, maintaining three versions plus any real development.

2 Likes

It’s not so bad to maintain them as I just run a script to update a branch in GitHub from the database. However when I don’t know a new branch exists, that does make it difficult, and it won’t get done unless someone actually tells me about it…

2 Likes

@Kai in the announcement post you mentioned moving from bintray to Artifactory and this will be done automatically on updating to 3.0.2. This didn’t happen for me, my apt openhab.list file still points to bintray, do you have the new repo entry to match Artifactory?

Hi @rastus_rob, since the openhab.list file is a file that you made, a package shouldn’t (sometimes can’t) overwrite it. You should find an openhab-linuxpkg.list in the same location which points to artifactory and when you apt update you’ll see artifactory being used correctly.

If you do, you’re safe to delete openhab.list (openHABian users may see it appear again as this file is managed by it)

3 Likes

Thanks @Benjy , found it and deleted old file, thanks for that.