openHAB 3.0 Release discussion

The 3.0 branch was used to deploy 3.0.2 and I think has tagged any changes as 3.0.3-SNAPSHOT @chris was not aware of that until yesterday so 3.0.2 zwave binding has the database from las December’s 3.0.0 release. The branch has since been updated with current database entries.

I just tried to do a fresh install and noticed that steam “2.5.x” has been removed and “3.0” is now “main”
Why can’t we provide
“2.5.x”
“3.0.x”
“main”
and making “main” default.

Let the developer decide what he/she needs! We still have 2.5 and 3.0 in the field and 3.1 ist 3 month away.

As stated in the latest announcement 2.5 development has ceased. You are looking at the situation from a user perspective, much like I do. That is not how many developers view the situation.
There is no more core 2.5.s branch ( please use the propwe term for a git repos) but development on the core ceased with 2.5.0. Only bindings were updated in later patch releases.

3.0 branch has also been deleted from core repo I see

main is for 3.1 and has been ever since 3.0 was released.

Most in the community only develop addons and all 3 branches are currently still present.

Yes, the thread isn’t bad for it - thanks for noticing, the download links are now fixed!

Hi everyone,

I am using OH since about 4 years (I guess) and am EXTREMLY happy with it. Recently though I have the feeling, that zwave has changed from 2.x to 3.x.
However, I have read, that this is not the case, but some other people report issues with zwave as well.
I would like to emphasize, that it’s a just a feeling (reponse time when switching e.g. a fibaro switch) and is not based on deeper investigations (yet).

That being said:
In regards to zwave: Which OH version should I prefer? (currently running 3.0.2).
3.0.2 or SNAPSHOT 3.1?

The runtime/bin/update script (from 3.0.1) cannot locate 3.0.2:

Downloading openHAB 3.0.2...
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found                                                                                                             

Download failed, version 3.0.2 does not exist.

Guess it is still pointing to bintray, not artifactory…

I thought this should work until the end of the month?

As noted in the release notes, 3.0.2 is available on artifactory only.

The binaries are available on Artifactory and via “Stable” in our Linux repositories.

Yes and no; bintray closes at the end of the month; so OH was already moved to artifactory now in 3.02…

So, anyone already adapted their update script? I guess, there are 2 URLs to change.

Or maybe I can just extract and use the update script of 3.0.2?

Edit: This worked. Was able to update to 3.0.2.

1 Like

Yes, you are absolutely right - that was my mistake. I worked on moving everything to Artifactory that I fully forgot that the plan was to have the distro files still available on Bintray, so that the update script works smoothly.

I have now uploaded the files to Bintray as well, so that there should be no need to manually adapt the update script!

4 Likes

Hi there, are there instructions on how to upgrade to 3.0.2 from my current 2.4 release? Thanks.

I updated to 3.0.2, but the Bug #908 is still there :frowning:

==> openhab.log <==                                                                                                                                  
2021-04-26 14:26:58.521 [WARN ] [io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Unsupported request method HEAD

The Download page instructions are currently out of date, meanwhile the docs are up to date :confused:

You are looking on an outdated page, please check

And what do you think is out of date ?
BTW next.openhab.org is not the official address so did you check www.openhab.org ?

Hmm, OK, sorry for my lack of clarity. And I indeed linked to the wrong doc version.

The Download page’s 3.0.2 Linux packages links still point to bintray, while the docs installation page Linux links point to artifactory.
The bintray repo now generate a “403 Forbidden” when running “apt update” with 3.0.2 on Linux, while the 3.0.1 release did not. I checked that on 3 fresh Ubuntu 20.04 x64 server VMs.

I checked that I had the right versions this time :slight_smile:

You are talking about the instructions for package installation, those indeed still point to bintray and need to be updated.

Edit: Checked the sources on github, whish have been update, but not published to our website.
@Confectrician could you please check why the site is not showing latest update on package installation. Thanks.

I have seen a bintray url in the instructions.
So the download links seem to fit, but there is still a wrong example somewhere in that file.

Edit:
Fix available in the next hours, when merge/build is done and cdn delivers.

1 Like