openHAB 3.4 Milestone discussion

Since upgrading to RC1 my logs are being flooded with Shelly Warnings. Everything seems to function ‘OK’ but the warnings are persistent. I don’t recall seeing this in M5.

2022-12-18 11:19:12.116 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler ShellyRelayHandler of thing shelly:shelly25-relay:68c63afb97dd tried checking if channel meter2#lastUpdate is linked although the handler was already disposed.
2022-12-18 11:19:19.059 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler ShellyRelayHandler tried updating the thing status although the handler was already disposed.
2022-12-18 11:19:19.060 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler ShellyRelayHandler of thing shelly:shelly1:500291edbc4c tried checking if channel device#heartBeat is linked although the handler was already disposed.
2022-12-18 11:19:19.060 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler ShellyRelayHandler tried updating the thing status although the handler was already disposed.
2022-12-18 11:19:19.061 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler ShellyRelayHandler of thing shelly:shelly1:500291edf91d tried checking if channel device#heartBeat is linked although the handler was already disposed.
2022-12-18 11:19:27.123 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler ShellyRelayHandler tried updating the thing status although the handler was already disposed.
2022-12-18 11:19:27.124 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler ShellyRelayHandler of thing shelly:shelly25-relay:68c63afb97dd tried checking if channel device#heartBeat is linked although the handler was already disposed.
2022-12-18 11:19:27.126 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler ShellyRelayHandler of thing shelly:shelly25-relay:68c63afb97dd tried checking if channel meter1#lastUpdate is linked although the handler was already disposed.
2022-12-18 11:19:27.126 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler ShellyRelayHandler of thing shelly:shelly25-relay:68c63afb97dd tried checking if channel meter2#lastUpdate is linked although the handler was already disposed.
2022-12-18 11:19:34.303 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler ShellyRelayHandler tried updating the thing status although the handler was already disposed.
2022-12-18 11:19:34.304 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler ShellyRelayHandler of thing shelly:shelly1:500291edbc4c tried checking if channel device#heartBeat is linked although the handler was already disposed.
2022-12-18 11:19:34.307 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler ShellyRelayHandler tried updating the thing status although the handler was already disposed.
2022-12-18 11:19:34.308 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler ShellyRelayHandler of thing shelly:shelly1:500291edf91d tried checking if channel device#heartBeat is linked although the handler was already disposed.

Have you restated OH? I have seen this a few times after an upgrade and a restart has always resolved.

1 Like

Yes I’ve restarted at least 3 times after I upgraded to RC1. My standard practice is to remove temp snd cache then restart 3 times after an upgrade, but I can try again.

UPDATE: I restarted again and at least for the moment the flood of warnings has stopped. Must be timing issue with things be loaded at startup. At any rate thank you for your suggestion as it worked.

Can any other Shelly user confirm that issue (I assume it is the same as [shelly] shellyem3 in 3.4.0.M6 update of status is not working anymore · Issue #13961 · openhab/openhab-addons · GitHub)? Maybe @hmerk?
@markus7017 As you are the maintainer of that binding, are you able to comment?

1 Like

I cannot confirm that issue, my 43 Shelly devices work as expected with RC1.

1 Like

I have made an attempt to fix the exception mentioned in:

in this PR:

However, I have no idea how it will work, or if the fix is correct (although at least the exception should be fixed). So if anyone will be able to quickly test it, this would be much appreciated: org.openhab.binding.shelly-3.4.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Also, I don’t know how/if it relates to other issues mentioned.

2 Likes

Thnx, but didn’t fix my issue. Channels are still missing.

I installed the updated binding and immediately ran into issues. Th binding installed fine but did not go Active. I ran feature:install openhab-transport-coap and rebooted, and it came ONLINE and Active. So far it is running fine for the few minutes I have had it running, no flood of warnings. I will let it run for a while and keep checking the logs. If I see anything strange I will report back.

It seems the updates to coap 2.7.3/2.7.4 caused significant issues for this binding.

1 Like

Did you create your thing from UI or file? If UI, perhaps you could try to recreate it? In both cases you could also try restarting openHAB. Unfortunately there is not much I can do at this late hour, but it would be nice to know more about the nature of the problem.

The referred GitHub issue mentioned a specific exception in the log, which should now be fixed. Perhaps your problem is different, so after trying what I suggested above, some logs would be helpful. A new GitHub issue for this would probably be best.

1 Like

Is 3.4 stable now available?
it isn’t mentioned in announcements or blog or download page…

It just showed up on my system today.
I have held back those packages. Just in case and will test it out later.

I see:

Die folgenden Pakete werden aktualisiert (Upgrade):
  openhab openhab-addons
2 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 0 nicht aktualisiert.

But I still wait for official announcement…
Maybe something will be changed on a short notice

This is what I get:
openhab-addons/stable 3.4.0-1 all [upgradable from: 3.3.0-1]
openhab/stable 3.4.0-1 all [upgradable from: 3.3.0-1]

same here:

sudo apt list --upgradable
Auflistung... Fertig
openhab-addons/stable 3.4.0-1 all [aktualisierbar von: 3.3.0-1]
openhab/stable 3.4.0-1 all [aktualisierbar von: 3.3.0-1]

just in german :wink:
Maybe there’s a reason why it isn’t officially announced…

The 3.4 GA build is done and we are working on the announcement, docs page update etc. All that will follow later today, so stay tuned.
Should be safe for you to already do the update - we are not seeing any issues and do not plan any changes to it.
As the 3.4 milestones are over now, I’d suggest to close this topic.

Are there any breaking changes, if I update from 3.3.0 stable release?

Get this in a loop in openhab.log after update:

[INFO ] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Some .kar files are not installed yet. Delaying add-on installation by 15s.

EDIT1: After a OH restart it is gone.

EDIT2:I first updated my Integrationsystem, there the error comes up. Then I updated my Productionsystem, the error didn’t appear there.

btw: Update from 3.3.0 to 3.4.0 went smooth, only on my integration system I got the “kar files not installed message”, but this was gone after restart

after some issues which was solved just by an additional restart, everything works smooth for me too.

thanks to everyone who contributed to the release

1 Like