openHAB 3.4 Release discussion

No, I didn’t do a PUSH nor a PR yet as I wanted to react quicky but of course I can do so during the day. #I can provide you with the compiled bundle jar, though, just pm me.
I am note sure how we deal with PRs on 3.4. currently. Actually we already concentrating on 4.0 as you know. Providing it on 4.0 currently doesn’t make sense yet at least to my because 4.0 is so early yet that it doesn’t run on my side yet.
So, if any maintainer want’s to jump in if I should still provide it as a PR on 3.4, then let me know.

Ok, writing helped again :smiley: but it is actually nothing new:

As I already mentioned on github, this is coming up from time to time:

2022-12-28 13:21:06.304 [WARN ] [su.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.Channel ] - Error while reading, caused by su.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Remote socket closed
2022-12-28 13:21:06.306 [WARN ] [su.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.Channel ] -  <--  null payload in message 

which obviously leads to

2022-12-28 13:21:06.325 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'chromecast:chromecast:5fa9d22389a1977c0cff5326b87d88f7' changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE
2022-12-28 13:21:06.328 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'chromecast:chromecast:5fa9d22389a1977c0cff5326b87d88f7' changed from OFFLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Interrupted while waiting for response
2022-12-28 13:21:16.433 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'chromecast:chromecast:5fa9d22389a1977c0cff5326b87d88f7' changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Interrupted while waiting for response to ONLINE

```

but even though I am on TRACE neither a debug or trace comes up.

That points to a timing/concurrency issue.

(Jan, when do you ever sleep? :wink: )

… which in software development is one of the worst things to find :smiley:

I provided a PR for my changes: [chromecast] add more tracing by stefan-hoehn · Pull Request #14085 · openhab/openhab-addons · GitHub on main.

If you can reproduce that it happens without the logging and does not happen with the additional logs (does it also happen when you set the binding to trace logging WITHOUT your additions?) I would remove log statements until it re-occurs. And see if there is anything around that logging that might be timing sensitive.

The errors don’t appear until after a while for me (using the standard addon, not your version). They don’t appear immediately after an openhab restart. In my case, it took about 40+ minutes until I started seeing it going offline.

Yes, it does happen without the logging as the logging comes on INFO on the “ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent”. Only then I switch on the chromecast logs which are actually pretty silent even with trace on (probably not a lot happening when you are not using the device).

I’ll send you a PM and try it out here. I’m probably a good volume use case as I currently have 19 active things on the Chromecast binding. I’m running the Docker image so I might need a little coaching on how to deploy this addon manually.

I hope I can help even a little.

1 Like

Hi,

after upgrade from 3.3. to 3.4, my OH instance is facing two problems:

1. Illegal state exceptions from rrd4j database.
  2. Some rules sporadically does not work anymore.

Illegal state exceptions from rrd4j database.
In my case some of group aggregate function items are affected (Group:Number:AVG) - example:

2022-12-27 18:23:06.975 [WARN ] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Failed to open rrd4j database 'gNetstatLatencyAvgUpperFloor' (java.lang.IllegalStateException)

It looks like the same problem as already mentioned here

Some rules sporadically does not work anymore.
At this moment, I do not understand the full pattern behind this error. Currently it looks like this:

• A rule does not work sporadically. As a result, the functionality is not given anymore and the log files contains entries like this:
2022-12-28 17:00:00.003 [ERROR] [e.automation.internal.RuleEngineImpl] - Failed to execute rule 'raffstore-1': null
  • The affected rules have worked until upgrade without any problems.
  • Currently I only see rules with that problem, which are the first rule in a rules file.
  • I use a couple of rules files. Currently it is not predicable, which rule from which rules file crashes.

I think I may have found the problem with Chromecast going offline/online intermittently and I’ve submitted a PR here

A jar for openhab 3.4 can be downloaded here:

8 Likes

Thanks @JimT for fixing the problem :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I can confirm it is fixed now - no flickering of ONLINE / OFFLINE anymore.

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: Rules not running

Same here regarding rrd4j after moving from 2.5 (:grimacing:) to 3.4:

2022-12-29 22:29:02.103 [WARN ] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Failed to open rrd4j database 'Power_UG_Garagedoor_wattmeter' (java.lang.IllegalArgumentException)

However, this is only the case, when the rrd4j file in question does not exists. As soon as I copied the old rrd4j file to /srv/openhab-userdata/persistence/rrd4j/Power_UG_Garagedoor_wattmeter.rrd the WARN disappeared and the rrd4j file gets updated normally.

But my question is now: What I have to do, that the rrd4j files get initially created? This could be a bug, because before the upgrade I never made something special for the initial rrd4j creation. But RRD4j is the default persistence service since OH 3; because I came from OH 2.5, I can’t say that it is 3.4 related for sure.
(BTW: I started with a new fresh openHABian 1.7.5 image and migrated old stuff manually)

@gd35 and @BananaBender: Same situation for you?

In my case, the rrd files already exists and date of last change is same as for all rrd files in that directory. Maybe I could remove them and restart OH (afaik, this triggers the creation of new “fresh” files)

Dear users,

please allow me to remind you of the forum rules.

Only post to this thread on issues specific to 3.4 code, i.e. issues that were introduced with 3.4 and didn’t exist before (that means in 3.3, not in whatever version you have been running earlier).
Only report issues that you can reproduce and confirm to be general issues with the code and not just issues of yours that you have not analyzed to be caused by the 3.3->3.4 change or that are otherwise specific to your setup.

For anything else, please open your own thread(s).

Help us keep communication clean and effective.
Thank you.

2 Likes

I still seem to have a few small UoM related issues. Some of them I need to investigate more, but this example seems simple and straight-forward, am I missing anything obvious?

After a complete openHAB restart, the first two updates of a non-persisted item:

2022-12-30 23:09:01.780 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'Omnipower_RSSI' changed from NULL to -50 W
2022-12-30 23:10:42.556 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'Omnipower_RSSI' changed from -50 W to -51 dBm

Why is the unit “W” for the first update? Here is my configuration:

Thing:

Bridge mqtt:broker:mosquitto "MQTT Broker" [host="localhost", secure=false] {
        Thing topic omnipower "Kamstrup Omnipower" @ "Entré" {
                Channels:
                        Type number : rssi "RSSI" [ stateTopic="omnipower/rssi", unit="dBm" ]
}

Item:

Number:Power Omnipower_RSSI "RSSI" <qualityofservice> (Omnipower) ["Measurement", "Power"] { channel = "mqtt:topic:mosquitto:omnipower:rssi" }

I know I can configure state description on the item, but it shouldn’t be needed when I can’t have any issues with restoreOnStartup since not persisted?

The default unit for the Power dimension is Watt. If the Item truly isn’t persisted, I’m not sure why the first update from the binding is using the wrong unit.

1 Like

It’s truly not persisted. So yeah, this behavior is strange.

I tried reproducing on a clean 4.0 system with a newly created managed item (and after that an item in a file), but didn’t succeed:

openhab> openhab:status PowerItem
NULL
openhab> openhab:update PowerItem "1 dBm"
Update has been sent successfully.
openhab> openhab:status PowerItem
1 dBm

So I guess it could either be a timing issue during startup or something similar in the MQTT binding.

@Kai Will there be a 3.4.1 release?

I also made a manual in a fresh new place and MainUI is displaying the right version.
Sorry, I have no other idea.