OpenHAB 3, MQTT & Tuya Smart Life Lamps

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: RPI 3B
    • openHAB version: 3 Latest Stable Version today

I have loaded the latest stable version of OpenHAB 3 and installed the MQTT Binding and Broker.

The Broker is online and working. I have installed the MQTT PubSubClient on an Arduino and can Publish and Subscribe data to and from it and see the results in the Log Viewer. Similarly, I can Publish and Subscribe data to/from MQTTLens - all good.

I have 9 Tuya/Smart Life lamps and I’ve been through the torturous process of creating an account at iot.tuya.com and extracted β€˜keys’ for all of them successfully.

So now I have 9 blocks of information which look like this…

name: β€˜Anglepoise Lamp’,
mac: 84:e3:46:27:74:2b
ip 192.168.1.36
id: β€˜bf12ee13c8e84059bchj4r’,
key: β€˜c8c2bd72fb0c7f21’

I simply haven’t a clue how to proceed from here.

Do I create an mqtt.cfg file and put all of this information in it?
If so, what is the correct format and location of that file?
How do I then use this information to Publish and Subscribe to the lamps?
If it is via rules in a .Rules file, what is the correct format for this?

For anyone tempted to advise me to β€˜Read the Documentation’, I have spent 5 days reading everything I can find which might help me, but found nothing that makes that final link which pulls it all together. I’m not saying the information isn’t out there, it’s just that I haven’t found it!

Thanks as always for any help you can provide.

3 Likes

There is no mqtt.cfg file any longer. You need to install the MQTT Binding. Then create an MQTT Broker Thing with the connection information to the MQTT broker. Then you create Generic MQTT Thing and configure Channels on those Things to publish and subscribe to the right topics for these devices.

This is covered in Adding Things - Advanced | openHAB

I don’t know anything about Tuya but I assume that the information you gathered will help tell you what MQTT topics to publish and subscribe to. Step-by-Step guide for adding Tuya-bulbs, Wi-Fi smart LED (Smart Life app) to OH2 using tuya-mqtt.js by AgentK and Tuya devices to Openhab via MQTT - a working solution (without flashing)! should help with that.

1 Like

Hi
Do you find solution ?

Yes, I have it all running with openHAB 3. What are you struggling with?

I have been followed this guid by AgentK with OH2,but it didn’t help me a lot.
Now, i have new OH3 with working mqtt and tuya key,id.
maybe have you found a simpler and easier instruction on how to do it or you can describe chess step by step?
thanks

Hi Infeus

If you have the Tuya key and id, plus Mqtt server running on OpenHAB3, you are close!

Have you got tuya-mqtt.js running? If you have, and you have created a file with the tuya keys, id’s and IP addresses etc., then you should be running.

Can you explain what is and isn’t working?

I found it very difficult as an English speaker. It must be much harder for you with English as a second language.

Hello

I’m trying to setup Tuya lamps to my OH 3 system. I followed this guide by AgentK with OH2.
I’ve it running at my old OH2 system without problem.
But at my new OH 3 I’m faced with problems at β€œnpm install”.
there are errors I don’t know how to fix

openhabian@openHABianDevice:/etc/openhab/scripts/tuya-mqtt $ npm audit

=== npm audit security report ===

β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚ Manual Review β”‚
β”‚ Some vulnerabilities require your attention to resolve β”‚
β”‚ β”‚
β”‚ Visit https://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx β”‚
β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚ Low β”‚ Prototype Pollution β”‚
β”œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€
β”‚ Package β”‚ minimist β”‚
β”œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€
β”‚ Patched in β”‚ >=0.2.1 <1.0.0 || >=1.2.3 β”‚
β”‚ Dependency of β”‚ @tuyapi/cli β”‚
β”‚ Path β”‚ @tuyapi/cli > http-mitm-proxy > optimist > minimist β”‚
β”‚ More info β”‚ https://npmjs.com/advisories/1179 β”‚
β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”΄β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚ High β”‚ Prototype Pollution in node-forge β”‚
β”‚ Package β”‚ node-forge β”‚
β”‚ Patched in β”‚ >= 0.10.0 β”‚
β”‚ Path β”‚ @tuyapi/cli > http-mitm-proxy > node-forge β”‚
β”‚ More info β”‚ https://npmjs.com/advisories/1561 β”‚
β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”΄β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
found 2 vulnerabilities (1 low, 1 high) in 327 scanned packages

Openhab and Pi are up to date

Hello, I am stuck as you guys. I got the keys, I got the mqtt-tuya running, but I simply have no clue what to do in OpenHAB.

BTW: I setup only one configuration in my device.conf, but I have no idea how to specify that I want to operate a specific DPS

openHAB doesn’t care about that, you’ll just be wanting to set it up to listen to MQTT. See Rich’s post

Hello, im a beginner and even with 30 years of experience im IT I find OpenHAB learning curve very steep.

I went through the tutorials and tried to add a generic thing but my device seems to be always offline. I can correctly operate it with tuya API, everything turns on and off … but I have no clue how to wire it in OpenHAB.

For example, I have no idea what to put in the state topic. The tutorial says

tuya/tuyaAPI-type/tuyaAPI-id/tuyaAPI-key/tuyaAPI-ip/state

But what is the tuya-API-type? In my case I have a smart switch with two on off switches for my A/C zones

This is my Generic MQTT thing configured, but it looks always offline. I have no ide how to bring it onlin:

MQTT traffic is all routed through a broker. Your tuya script talks to the broker, openHAB talks to the broker. There is no direct line. So you must tellopenHAB where to find the same broker that your tuya script talks to.

Obviously, openHAB needs to make a successful connection to that broker before it can do anything about tuya messages. If it’s having trouble, it’s the broker Bridge thing that will be of interest. Likely also messages in your openhab.log

Neither do we. What topic is your tuya script publishing to? That’s the one you want openHAB to subscribe to, to listen to.

No idea. What topic is your toya script publishing too? Blame openHAB all you like, but it cannot guess what you want it to do.

First, if you have the Tuya keys and ID’s, you need to create a devices.conf file in /etc/openhab/scripts/tuya-mqtt folder. This needs to contain data in the following format for every tuya device, although I suggest you start with just one to keep things simple.

[
  {
    name: 'lamp1',
    ip: '192.168.1.36',
    id: 'bf12ee13c8e84095bchj4r',
    key: 'c8c2bd20100c7f21',
    version: '3.3',
    type: 'lightbulb'
  },
  {
    name: 'lamp2',
    ip: '192.168.1.51',
    id: 'bf947574a1928bcdb3citg',
    key: 'b0221cce36c1b54c',
    version: '3.3',
    type: 'lightbulb'
  }
]

The β€˜name’ is your choice. Unless you know the β€˜version’, you may need to guess but it is likely to be 3.2 or 3.3. My devices work with either.

Next you need to know the commands to send and I believe this applies to all Tuya lamps. To set the dimmer value, the topic and payload are;

topic: tuya/lamp1/dps/22/command

• where lamp1 is the name you gave the device is devices.conf above

payload: 0 to 1000

• where 0=0%, 10 = 1%, 1000=100%, 285=28.5% etc

To turn a device On or Off, the topic and payload are
topic: tuya/lamp1/dps/20/command
payload: true or false

There are various other β€˜dps’ commands which do chrominance, luminance and other stuff depending on the capability of the lamp.

Next you have to create a β€˜Rule’ in a .rules file in the rules folder which will send the mqtt command out. For instance, I have an input to my system which can be 0 - 100 to set the lamp brightness. That input is called MyTuyaLamp, so the rule looks like this…

rule "MyTuyaLamp change"
when
    Item MyTuyaLamp changed
then
  val mqttActions = getActions("mqtt","mqtt:broker:ba9d4bb639")  
  if (MyTuyaLamp.state < 1) {
    mqttActions.publishMQTT("tuya/lamp1/dps/20/command", "false")
  }
  else {
    mqttActions.publishMQTT("tuya/lamp1/dps/20/command", "true")
    mqttActions.publishMQTT("tuya/lam1/dps/22/command", (lamp1.state as Number * 10).toString)
  }
end

Make sure to put your mqtt broker id in, not mine!

This rule turns the lamp off for values less than 1 (so that’s 0!) and turns the lamp on and sets the brightness for values of 1 or above. In practise my lamps don’t actually come on unless the value is at least 10 (=1%) and notice the β€œNumber * 10” which changes the percentage to a 0-1000 range.

Whilst getting it working, have the tuya-mqtt script run in debug mode from a command line on the RPI. This will give you lots of debug info, which got me working. When you’re up and running, its best to have it run as a service whenever the RPI starts up - I’ll happily show you how to do that when you get there :wink: but for now, type the following in a command prompt window on the RPI - you may need to be in the /etc/openhab/scripts/tuya-mqtt directory for this to work depending on how you have PATHS set up

DEBUG=* node tuya-mqtt.js

Let me know if this helps at all.

openhabian@openHABianDevice:/etc/openhab/scripts/tuya-mqtt $ npm audit

=== npm audit security report ===

β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚ Manual Review β”‚
β”‚ Some vulnerabilities require your attention to resolve β”‚
β”‚ β”‚
β”‚ Visit https://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx β”‚
β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
β”‚ Low β”‚ Prototype Pollution β”‚
β”‚ Package β”‚ minimist β”‚
β”‚ Patched in β”‚ >=0.2.1 <1.0.0 || >=1.2.3 β”‚
β”‚ Path β”‚ @tuyapi/cli > http-mitm-proxy > optimist > minimist β”‚
β”‚ More info β”‚ https://npmjs.com/advisories/1179 β”‚
β”‚ High β”‚ Prototype Pollution in node-forge β”‚
β”‚ Package β”‚ node-forge β”‚
β”‚ Patched in β”‚ >= 0.10.0 β”‚
β”‚ Path β”‚ @tuyapi/cli > http-mitm-proxy > node-forge β”‚
β”‚ More info β”‚ https://npmjs.com/advisories/1561 β”‚
found 2 vulnerabilities (1 low, 1 high) in 327 scanned packages

anybody out there having an idea how I can fix this problem?

hi guys,
i have it all running but I have an issue with some led lights. I successfully added some smart outlets but I can’t add my led lights. On the Tuya lot platform it’s declared as light and the category is dj. Do you guys have the same problem or and/or know how to solve it?