OpenHab 3 Newbie ZigBee Xiaomi Gateway 3

Hello all,

I’m an absolute newbie here when it comes to openhab.

Have installed the OpenHab on my Raspberry Pi 3.

I have installed the following Things according to the Youtube video

• MQTT Binding
  • NTP Binding

Now I want to go one step further I have some HomeMatic devices hanging in the WLAN

• Alexa socket
  • Nooie socket (Aqura, Mijia)
  • Xiaomi motion detector (Aqura, Mijia)
  • Xiaomi thermometer (Aqura, Mijia)
  • Xiaomi Door Contacts (Aqura, Mijia)
  • Xiaomi 360 Degree Camera
  • Xiaomi Gateway 3

I would like to connect these to my Openhab.

Only unfortunately I am a bit confused right now.

Do I have to connect the gateway from Xiaomi to my Raspberry or can I integrate this a plugged ZigBee stick? (unfortunately I bought a ZigBee without firmware, now I have to get a new one).

Which stick do I need then and which Things do I have to install then?

On the Internet I read mostly only CC2530 or CC2531 or ConBee II now I’m even more confused.

On the internet I just read

Thank you very much

Take a look at Xiaomi Mi Smart Home - Bindings | openHAB

If you prefer to have a Zigbee gateway that does not depend on the cloud there are some options:

1. USB dongles supported by ZigBee - Bindings | openHAB You should pay attention to the coordinator limits (# of devices) range (CC253x is known to have a weak antenna) and placement (zigbee can interfere with wifi, so proximity with AP’s should be avoided and this often requires a usb extension cable)
  2. Build a MQTT network and use a Tasmotized coordinator. MQTT is more complex than using the zigbee binding. I use a Sonoff ZBBridge and I’m very happy. It can be installed anywhere 5VDC is available (which can be supplied by a mobile charger)

For larger distances (>5m) you may need zigbee routers (which are similar to wifi extenders). Some zigbee devices (such as lamps and sockets) can act as routers.

what does that mean, is it you flashed ZBBridge with Tasmota ? Wouldn’t it work without ?
Any additional SW needed? (zigbee2mqtt?)

My objective was to get rid of the Sonoff cloud. I’ve

1. tasmotized with tasmota-zbbridge.bin.gz followed by ncp-uart-sw_6.7.6_115200.ota
  2. used tasmota commands SetOption83 1, SetOption89 1 and SetOption112 1
  3. parametrized MQTT credentials
  4. paired my zigbee devices with the ZBBridge
  5. And, because my IoT wlan has no internet access, I had to create a NTP server elsewhere (I have a OpenWrt router that also runs a MQTT broker and a NTP service) and parametrize tasmota accordingly (otherwise zigbee stack does not work)

No add’l SW was needed.

I want to set up my PI3 with Openhabian3 so that I do not have to use the gateway from Xiaomi.

Unfortunately, according to Internet analysis, the Openhabian3 system does not support the Xiaomi Gateway3.

I have a ZigBee stick CC2531 connected to the PI.

When I call lsusb in Putty I get 4 devices

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0451:16a8 Texas Instruments, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMC9514 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

How do I connect my devices to PI 3 now?

Use the ZigBee binding.