openHAB 4.0 wishlist

But when google assistant can’t reach openhab or something else goes wrong the first step is to reboot. Rebooting once a week (preferably at night) would keep things running smoothly and reduce troubleshooting. Even my NAS has an option to reboot on a schedule (mon morning at 3am). Notice I specified reboot not shutdown.

It’s an easy enough solution to setup openhab to reboot openhabian on any kind of schedule you’d prefer. Agreed this is a workaround to a root cause that should probably be investigated and fixed but there it is.

for example…

1 Like

No. You just need to open the cloud menu and press save. Nothing else.
Also, you should check the forums, there are beta bindings that the devs have been working on to address the issue.
How would you know that the issue is fixed if you’re randomly rebooting without interaction? Say that the issue is fixed on v3.4, you’d continue rebooting without a need for it.

Never reboot, it’s a bad practice from old times.

5 Likes

Let’s just keep this topic to wishes and if some wish can already be done in some way or another then provide the solution.

2 Likes

You should not be thinking you can create a binding through rules. If you need a binding, you need to cover a binding. If you are using Rules, skip the Things and populate the states of Items directly.

Library functions or even just using a banking pattern for items can be used to make this one done handle any number of locations.

Given openHABian isn’t magic and it pretty much only has cron available to use for this, I’m but sure you’d have any better luck that’s there.

Given Squeezebox can be used as an audio sink (I’m pretty sure), why reinvent the wheel here? Is there something it lacks?

I’m not arguing against any wish, just trying to narrow down what the wish means.

If at all possible, some sort of ‘native’ and official python3 support to make it easy to write own scripts without having to rely on helper/3rd party scripts that may or not be maintained and developed. Like an official python3 module that integrates with openhab.

(I know of habapp but its classbased and object oriented and seems uneccesary hard to understand how to use for atleast novice scripters/programmers like me. I use jython now and it works just fine so far but it’s old and outdated).

1 Like
  • Acts as a smart speaker, i.e. have a microphone and uses the keyword spotter, STT and openhab’s chat feature. This gets us completely free from google assistant / alexa.

I would really like to be able to write tests for my rules.

So I would imagine having a test environment, where I can mock items, things and triggers, invoke them and do assertions.

I find it rather difficult to write rules without being able to quickly write a test for them.

2 Likes

We can do this in jruby. This works on OpenHAB 3.3+
https://ccutrer.github.io/openhab-jrubyscripting/main/file.testing.html

1 Like

It does work for sure, that’s why i linked it. I do not want to reinvent the wheel, as i said for inspiration.
The main idea was to create let’s say a blueprint, bom, design, manual of a little device let’s say 20€ range that one can put together with it’s own hands that in the end does
output audio, voice, notifications, states and so on. @JimT already had the idea of also integrate a mic, sure i’m all in for these things.

:+1:

The goal is to have something that is “open” as in “openhab” not a closed amaphone home box like an alexa or similar. I’m sure there are many people that would love to have a plug and play device that does just that and works with minimal effort. I really like the mycroft mark 2 approach but that is already over the top and too expensive for a little speaker that one can have in every room. There are also a lot of people who don’t want to build themselves or can’t and i’m aware of that but that question can surely be thought of as we progress along and have the thing created =)

My vision behind the idea was that community input, development of the pysical thing itself as well as code development on the openhab side goes hand in hand together from the start.
It could be done in a thread where we have a timeframe for ideas, similar to this thread, poll the best → create.
Then another timeframe for pcb development, oh implementation, writing the manuals and so on.

But that’s already too much detail, let’s keep this thread a wishlist.
Feel free to rephrase my idea, i’m not that good in expressing myself. But i will surely answer a pm if there are more questions.

That being said have some happy days and keep wishlisting :wink:

PS. There are already a lot of great wishes in this thread. Let’s turn them into reality.

1 Like

Looks nice, but would love to have it in webui and for ecmascript :thinking:

Have you had a look at MyCroft https://mycroft.ai/ it has and OpenHAB skill by the looks of it Mycroft AI Skill | openHAB

+1 on more love for sitemap.

My system requires minimal interaction through the UI, so the old sitemap is good enough for me. Just one thing that would make it greater is to dynamically populate a list from an OpenHab items. This simple enhancement would make sitemap so much more powrful.

5 Likes

Yes, i’ve seen it. I don’t need a mic for me personally and the input side of things.
This was added by @JimT and is already ahead of the initial intention from my side.

I’ve been using mimic3 as tts service for quite some time and it’s working fine.
I’m also not trying to build a device that is able to host the whole openhab itself like a mark 2… Think way more simple.

Imagine a little device/thing that is able to output whatever the user wants. A simple cheap low power (Audio + light) “local/offline” output/notification extention to openhab itself that can be added to every room without breaking the bank and still keeps working when there is no internet.

I’m not against adding a mic but i’d start with the output/notification side of things first and add the input/control side of things when the basics are working nicely aka. a later stage.

Correct. The wishlist request is to be able to create bindings via Javascript; rules are the wrong construct for this. I am using a rule currently, because that’s what I have that I could find enough documentation to get where I wanted to go, and was fine until I wanted to go from N=1 to N=2.
I will do some more spelunking through the documentation for library functions. I suspect it wouldn’t give me the flexibility of the thing:channel UI for linking the data items to the functionality, but for two locations, I can deal with that.

It would be really nice of there were way to get the milliseconds directly from a DateTimeType, rather than having to do .zonedDateTime.toInstant.toEpochMillis. Is there a reason why a .millis method could not be added to the DateTimeType API?

@rlkoshak WDYT?

1 Like

Hello, happy holidays everyone. I really wish Santa would bring me UoM (unit of measurements) support in Blockly. Being able to compare item states to values with a certain unit.

2 Likes

Hello @MathiasVDA,

we are not Santa, but @stefan.hoehn and I will bring this feature to Blockly.

We are currently working on a larger update to Blockly, which will include UoM handling, see Migrate Blockly to JS Scripting (GraalJS) · Issue #1597 · openhab/openhab-webui · GitHub.

8 Likes

Still sounds like santa to me :wink:
I find Blockly such an amazing tool, so thank you very much for the work you’ve already put into it and what you’ll dedicate to it in the future!

2 Likes

I don’t personally have a need for this, but I would like to draw attention to how OPNsense does this, which IMHO is the gold standard. Backup is a single file and the restore process is to upload the backup file after which a reboot is triggered and everything is back to how it was before. That is paired with functionality that allows it to track all changes in a git repository and push it to a git server somewhere else on a schedule and you have pretty solid backup/restore mechanism.

2 Likes