OpenHAB Alexa Binding "Device unresponsive"

Hi

I have the latest OpenHAB running on an RPI 3B with Loxone and Alexa Bindings running. Everything has been successfully discovered.

I can ask Alexa to turn lights On/Off, set Dimmer values and query temperature sensors etc. no problem. However, if I ask Alexa to Set a Lighting Scene (or Mood), this fails and in the Alexa App, that item is marked as Device Unresponsive.

From reading other related threads on the Forum, it seems that the Scene or Mood is not reported back and Alexa requires a response.

I’ve also read that I can set parameters to tell Alexa not to expect a response or use Virtual Inputs as a proxy item to give a response to Alexa to keep her happy, but I am not experienced enough with OpenHAB to understand What the format of such commands would be or Where I should be putting them.

Is there someone out there who can guide me in the right direction please?

I’ve spent quite a few hours reading the documentation and watching YouTube videos about OpenHAB and it’s now beginning to pay off; I have a Basic UI site and various HABPanels running which I’m really pleased with.

OpenHAB is a fantastic project. Thanks to ALL contributors.

Can you provide the item definition related to the lighting scene you are trying to control?

Hi Jeremy

I have defined the item as

Number Living_Lighting_Controller “Living Room Lights” (GF_Living, Lights) [“Light”] {channel=“loxone:miniserver:d0e67e87:107A0C9A-01BA-9521-FFFFA8FF444AA57C”, autoupdate=“false”}

Thanks @chrissaich. You should make sure to use code fences when providing item definition.

Based on the definition configuration you provided, I don’t think that item would be discovered on the Alexa side. Since it doesn’t have a supported tag or any Alexa metadata configuration.

Anyway, you seemed to be on the right track. Looking at the Loxone binding, it seems that this item controls a bunch of scenes. Are you looking to have each scene controllable on the Alexa end?
If so, you need to use a proxy item for each scene as SceneController. You can adapt the configuration below to your setup. It uses the RegEx Transformation Service to extract the scene number.

item

Number Living_Lighting_Controller "Living Room Lights" (GF_Living, Lights) {channel="loxone:miniserver:d0e67e87:107A0C9A-01BA-9521-FFFFA8FF444AA57C", autoupdate="false"}

Switch Living_Lighting_Scene0 "Living Room Light Scene 0" (Living_Lighting_Scenes) {alexa="SceneController.scene" [supportsDeactivation=false], autoupdate="false"}
Switch Living_Lighting_Scene1 "Living Room Light Scene 1" (Living_Lighting_Scenes) {alexa="SceneController.scene" [supportsDeactivation=false], autoupdate="false"}
Switch Living_Lighting_Scene2 "Living Room Light Scene 2" (Living_Lighting_Scenes) {alexa="SceneController.scene" [supportsDeactivation=false], autoupdate="false"}

rule

rule "Living Room Lighting Scenes"
when
  Member of Living_Lighting_Scenes received command ON
then
  val sceneNum = transform("REGEX", "Living_Lighting_Scene(\\d)", triggeringItem.name)
  Living_Lighting_Controller.sendCommand(sceneNum)
end

Hi Jeremy.

Thanks for putting in the time to give me such a clear concise answer.

Also appreciate the guidance on ‘’‘code fences’’’ which I will use in future.

I will implement your suggestions over the next few days and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again!