openHAB Cloud Connector, no uuid and no secret

hi all

I see a lot of posts about this topic, but no one was helping me, so I try to open again one.
My installation is a plain ubuntu 20.04 with openhab 3 installed over apt-install.

I was trying to install “openHAB Cloud Connector” and on the documentation it stands that the uuid and secret will be found on “/var/lib/openhab”. But nothing is on this location. If I also search over the whole filesystem for “uuid” I don’t find any from the cloud connector. Any ideas where they is located of how I can generate it manualy?

File Regular Installation APT Installation
UUID userdata/uuid /var/lib/openhab/uuid
Secret userdata/openhabcloud/secret /var/lib/openhab/openhabcloud/secret
2 Likes

Did you make shure that the addon is installed and did you configure it ?
After that, you should see both files in the given folders.

1 Like

Yes, it is installed… But how I read in the documentation, there is nothing to configurate, they will create the files self… or is there a configuration form somwhere?

1 Like

Please check on karaf console if the binding is marked active.
Under Setting → Other Services, you will find the configuration for openHAB Cloud, where you can configure notification only or notification and remote access. Don’t expose any items here!

Sorry, but is karaf not only on OpenHAB2 possible to use?

No, it is still used in openHAB3, just run

openhab-cli console

I’m not sure, but I activate now karaf (binding) and if I check I see it is active now…

153 │ Active │ 80 │ 3.2.0 │ openHAB Core :: Bundles :: Community Marketplace Add-on Service :: Karaf

I uninstall and install the plugin again, but under Other Services I dont see any configuration named “openHAB Cloud”. And the files are still not there… any ideas how to debug further? thank you for your help

Anything in the logs ?
What about permissions ? Does user openHAB have write access to the folders ?
Did you restart openHAB after binding installation.
Config is definitely there if running correctly….

I see now in the logs the following. Did you have an idea why permission denied?

19:56:18.977 [ERROR] [.core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing ‘openhab-misc-openhabcloud’: Permission denied

the folder looks like bellow
/var/lib/openhab# ls -lsa
total 48
4 drwxr-xr-x 12 openhab openhab 4096 Apr 14 15:43 .
4 drwxr-xr-x 42 root root 4096 Apr 13 12:31 …
4 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 13 12:32 backups
4 drwxr-xr-x 3 openhab openhab 4096 Apr 14 09:13 cache
4 drwxr-xr-x 5 openhab openhab 4096 Apr 14 05:54 config
4 drwxr-xr-x 3 openhab openhab 4096 Apr 14 15:50 etc
4 drwxr-xr-x 3 openhab openhab 4096 Apr 14 04:28 jsondb
4 drwxr-xr-x 2 openhab openhab 4096 Apr 14 06:02 kar
4 drwxr-xr-x 2 openhab openhab 4096 Apr 14 15:43 .karaf
4 drwxr-xr-x 5 openhab openhab 4096 Apr 13 12:31 persistence
4 drwxr-xr-x 2 openhab openhab 4096 Apr 13 12:32 secrets
4 drwxr-xr-x 16 openhab openhab 4096 Apr 14 19:55 tmp

You should have checked if openHAB Cloud addon is active.
But from your last post, it was not installed due to missing permission.
Try to set the permissions again with

chown -R openhab:openhab /var/lib/openhab

After that, try installing the bundle again.

thank you for your reply…

the installation tooks long… if I refresh the page it is “active”… I do now the chown but same issue

20:14:14.782 [ERROR] [.core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing ‘openhab-misc-openhabcloud’: Permission denied

1 Like

You could try to create the two missing foldes as user openhab and then reinstall the bundle.

1 Like

To fix permission issues, you can try

openhab-cli reset-ownership
1 Like

ohh… now the secret file is created and filled… and I also see the setting page. but the uuid file is not created. the logs only show this messages

20:46:15.427 [WARN ] [okhttp3.OkHttpClient ] - A connection to https://myopenhab.org/ was leaked. Did you forget to close a response body? To see where this was allocated, set the OkHttpClient logger level to FINE: Logger.getLogger(OkHttpClient.class.getName()).setLevel(Level.FINE);
20:47:10.978 [ERROR] [.io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient] - Error connecting to the openHAB Cloud instance. Reconnecting.

Please check if the uuid file gets created after a restart of openHAB

1 Like

thank you so much! now is working…

for all with the same problem

• create the folder /var/lib/openhab/openhabcloud
  • reset the permissions openhab-cli reset-ownership
  • restart the openhab
1 Like

hi, can you share the steps to create the folder, reset the permissions please

1 Like

To give the best answer for your system we need to know what your OH system is running on.
windows ? linux ? docker ?