OpenHAB@D4-Secure

Hello Everyone,

I’d like to share something we’ve been working on at Cog Systems.

We’ve been using OpenHAB 2 for our office automation - it’s cool, and out-of-the-box, it already has a lot of great security. But we wanted to further improve that to ensure the platform remains protected from all sorts of attacks such as network-based attacks such as KRACK, and many of the remote code exploits out there and can impact any connected device.

So I’ve put together a demo you can try that is using our platform called Project Golden Gate at https://community.cog.systems

Project Golden Gate is designed to care of the security, management, and other services so that you do not have to – letting you or a device maker focus on building and deploying their intended system.

We use micro-virtualization built on-top of a type-1 hypervisor, enabling us to build modular architectures and reduce the impact of security threats. This means we can do really cool things like separate and isolate functionality such as network/VPNs, storage, and micro-services from one another. We’ve got a lot of exciting stuff coming including support for protection against remote code exploits (without you doing anything), integration with third-party cloud providers, and we’ll be incorporating a lot of other exciting technology into the platform continuously.

We’ve deployed this on Raspberry Pi 3’s, and we’d love some community feedback on what you think of the platform. We also continue to work to better integrate it with the cloud capabilities of OpenHAB.

regards
AJ

2 Likes

I’m using this in my home on a Pi too so that I can replace my Vera. The main reason for me was I didn’t like the man-in-the-middle model Vera uses via their cloud - which resulted in someone doing maintenance on my appliance blowing away a years worth of power logs. So now thanks to the separate ipsec VPN, I can enable that access on my router and connect directly to it from anywhere securely.

It is taking time to migrate zwave devices though, kinda tedious. Feel like I’m doing something wrong?