Openhab doesn't launch

I’m running Ubuntu 15.04, with the following java version:

java version "9-ea" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 9-ea+95-2015-12-02-052152.javare.3968.nc) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 9-ea+95-2015-12-02-052152.javare.3968.nc, mixed mode)

I followed the instructions and installed Openhab in /opt, and installed the demo package. However, Openhab will not launch. When I use, start.sh, I only see " Launching the openHAB runtime…" and never proceed further.

Running “netstat -apn | grep 8080” never shows any process binding to that port.

It is still running, since the command “ps aux | grep java” brings up the following:

java -Dosgi.clean=true -Declipse.ignoreApp=true -Dosgi.noShutdown=true -Djetty.port=8080 -Djetty.port.ssl=8443 -Djetty.home=. -Dlogback.configurationFile=configurations/logback.xml -Dfelix.fileinstall.dir=addons -Dfelix.fileinstall.filter=.*.jar -Djava.library.path=lib -Djava.security.auth.login.config=./etc/login.conf -Dorg.quartz.properties=./etc/quartz.properties -Dequinox.ds.block_timeout=240000 -Dequinox.scr.waitTimeOnBlock=60000 -Dfelix.fileinstall.active.level=4 -Djava.awt.headless=true -jar server/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar -console

Running the ./start_debug.sh brings up the following, but goes no further:

./start_debug.sh
Launching the openHAB runtime in debug mode…
Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 8001

Any ideas?

Which version of openHAB and how was it installed?

For the record I’m successfully running on Ubuntu 15.10 with OpenJDK 64-bit 1.7.0_91 and an apt-get installed OH 1.8.

I know others have had issues with OpenJDK and it is recommended to use Oracle’s official Java which you appear to be using.

Running OpenHab 1.8, downloaded and unzipped into /opt/openhab directly from the website.

I can not recommend strongly enough that you install openHAB using apt-get as described here.

There are simply too many things that could have gone wrong or have the wrong permissions or the like to even begin diagnosing the problem.

Well I upgraded to Ubuntu 15.10 and downgraded to Java 8, and now it works. I suspect Java 9 did not like openhab for some reason.