openHAB generator - design your smart home in no time!

Amazing. openHAB is already a wonderful software, now it will become perfect!

I prefer yours. Please provide a backup possibility

habdashboard link not working?

It does work, just click it. :grinning:

How to transform from “Internal database” that are generated from PaperUI adding things to

“Textual Configuration Files” which is how I copy paste your code into sitemap and items?

I do have some HUE bulb, netatmo stuff which I want to integrate in the code that I generated automatically with the tool.

For example I have a HUE light in my

"ChandelierOne_ColorTemperature -\u003e hue:0210:00xxxx3040:12:color_temperature": {
    "class": "org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.link.ItemChannelLink",
    "value": {
      "channelUID": {
        "segments": [
          "hue",
          "0210",
          "0017xxx3040",
          "12",
          "color_temperature"
        ]
      },
      "itemName": "ChandelierOne_ColorTemperature"
    },

"ChandelierOne_Color -\u003e hue:0210:001xxxx040:12:color": {
    "class": "org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.link.ItemChannelLink",
    "value": {
      "channelUID": {
        "segments": [
          "hue",
          "0210",
          "001xxxxxxxx243040",
          "12",
          "color"
        ]
      },
      "itemName": "ChandelierOne_Color"
    }

man is this complicated …

Note that my current preview site does allow to create textual configuration files, but in order to make internal database, you’ll need HomeBuilder to be a part of openHAB. Which is not the case at the moment. Please be patient, it’s still in the review queue.

Also, please read through the user manual of openHAB.

no way, is more complicated then a university exam, it would take me 6 months.

how long you think it takes ±?

Home automation and OH are both very complicated topics, I agree. And I applaud the progress you have made thus far in trying things and learning OH.

However, I’m afraid that attitude will cause the willingness of users on this forum to continue helping you to dry up. We are all volunteers and spend a lot of our free time helping users. We are more willing to help those who first try to help themselves by reading the available documentation, which we have also spent a lot of our free time writing, than those who refuse to because it is “too complicated.”

It is common courtesy to respect the time of the volunteers on this forum and the developers to make your best effort to utilize the help that has been provided to you, including and especially the manuals and tutorials.

5 Likes

is not my fault if manuals and tutorials are structured in a way that is far too complicated for a beginner.

If you expect beginners with a low to average computer experience, to understand those instructions, you will loose 99% of potential users.

If the intention of the developers is to have a system used by a very little minority of power users, highly skilled programmers, then continue as it is. If the developers like to have a bigger user base, then the instructions should be structured differently

@claudioita then go and fix it as you please:

Seriously. We’re all volunteering our time and knowledge to make software better for the end user. It’s not a overnight success. Everyone, including the Community, makes it better everyday.
As Rich mentioned, attitude you’re presenting here is neither helpful nor encouraging.

I will continue my work here because it’s fun and I like to share my findings with the community. I’m not “expecting” anyone to do anything. But if I see if something can be clarified, I go and fix the docs. If 68 people could do that, you can do it too.
This is how open source works in general.

Take care

3 Likes

Appreciate your and others work.

I am an end user, and will not contribute here with coding or documentation. If I have to pay for the job done by others I gladly do. since I like openhab2 (once its well configured)

WHat I can do is testing, and reporting my user experience. If you all don’t like my open thoughts, I can surely shut up. No problem

I believe everyone in this community consider themselves as the end users. Including Maintainers, OH/ESH developers, casual committers and regular posters.

If you’re willing to do so, go ahead. Check out this posting.
https://www.bountysource.com/teams/openhab

2 Likes

No one has said you are not entitled to your own opinion. I think the point being made is that you should not expect a lot of help from people that freely give of their time to support the project if you are not first willing to make an attempt to help yourself.

There is no need to read the docs in it’s entirety. If you read some of the getting started sections and the pieces relevant to the devices you are using you should be off to a pretty good start. Searching the Community and Google will help fill in the blanks. If something is still unclear or you run into problems, I’m willing to bet people here in the Community would be more than willing to help at that point.

Does the documentation need some work? Sure. I think the same thing could be said for the vast majority of open source projects. When there are thousands of users but only a handful of contributors it is hard to keep up. Especially when you consider how complex and rapidly evolving something like OH is.

5 Likes

I frankly don’t expect users with a low to average computer experience to be successful with any home automation system in the first place. Home automation is hard. It’s complicated. And it takes a good deal of dedication and willingness to learn in order to get through it.

If you are unwilling to put in that sort of work then you might be happier with a less capable but slightly easier to use a commercial solution like Vera or Wink.

We welcome any suggestions you might offer. We would really welcome any contributions you may want to make.

But I suspect the structure of the docs is not the real problem. The real problem is this is really complicated stuff and no amount of restructuring of the docs is going to change that. But if I’m wrong we welcome your suggestions.

If you are unwilling to actually contribute to the docs then I’m afraid to say, as with any opensource project, your thoughts and observations will likely never be implemented. There is no leader who says “hey you, go write that doc.” If you are unwilling to contribute yourself you can only hope that someone will be willing to pick up your request and implement it for you. And of course, all of us volunteers have our own things we want to implement or write. You might be able to entice someone to do so for you through the BountySource link kuba posted but you are still dependent on someone deciding to pick up the task and do it.

And so far your observations are “this is complicated” and “the docs need to be restructured.” Neither of these are actionable observations. You make no suggestions about what to change or how to change it. So far these are mere complaints; we can’t do anything with them.

3 Likes

I think your project is the way to go it does most of the complicated stuff.

And with such a tool the documentation would be very short and easy to comprehend

1 Like

Great tool, I wish to understand how to add some components that are not automatically added (for example Hue color, or motion sensor time of trigger).

Not sure if is possible to add script (sequence of commands) and rules/automation

Great work!
I have just few questions. Can we also control devices action from this like turning on/off and getting information from sensors(heating).
also if you can guide if I have to add any enocean wireless can that be done. Will it also manage its configuration

Great Job! :+1:

But how do I save the changes i made?

BR. Mogens - Denmark