[SOLVED] openHAB itemps don't appear

Hi,

I am doing a research project on home automation and I have some problems:

On Paper UI -> Configuration -> Services -> UI -> openHAB Cloud
Mode: Notifications & Remote Access
Items to expose to apps such as IFTTT: all the items and groups.
Base URL for the openHAB Cloud server: https://myopenhab.org/
UUID and secret keys are correctly configured on openHAB Cloud website.

On myopenhab cloud website, I recieve an online and in logs, I see the online when I save the configuration on the Paper UI IO Service Configuration. But no more notifications appear and no items are shown.

I’m running the last Raspbian version on Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with the last openHAB 2.x version.

Which do you think is the solution? Could someome help me?

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Josep Mencion

You just exposed your email address for all to see…

I think (But I am not 00% sure because I was away for a while that the exposure of items to the cloud has been suspended due to abuse… Users were exposing ALL items and groups. This is not needed. Only expose the ones that are needed for you app) This was overwhelming the servers.

Can anyone confirm, or am I talking out of my rear end as usual?

I believe you are correct. @digitaldan would have the latest information on that.
The nonprofit foundation has limited funding and cannot host a paid service.

1 Like

I can confirm. The only reason to expose Items to the Cloud is if you need to use them with IFTTT. Therefore the only Items you should expose are those that are used in IFTTT. Thousands of OH users expose all of their Items and they are not even using IFTTT. Some have a mistaken belief that they need to do so for Google Assistant or Alexa integration.

These thousands of updates a second overwhelmed the cloud server software (the Mongo DB in specific IIRC) which caused all of myopenhab.org to become unresponsive for all users. So until a solution is found for the overloaded servers the IFTTT integration has been turned off. You cannot expose any Items to the cloud server at this time.

If you are not trying to integrate with IFTTT you can stop here. You are done.

If you need to integrate with IFTTT, see How To: Integrate Custom openHAB Cloud with IFTTT

1 Like

Please educate me. What is the usefulness of IFTTT? When I tried it using to send email, it worked when manually triggered but would only occasionally trigger when receiving a web binding even though it acknowledged receiving the trigger.

I haven’t used it in a long time, but IFTTT supports integrations that are not available in OH (e.g. Wyze Cameras if you don’t replace their firmware to get RTSP support). For awhile they had a “Do” phone app that let you create a little remote control iPhone or screen widgets (Android only) which was convenient to provide some simple controls to my wife like being able to open the garage from her phone more easily. She now has an Android so Tasker replaces that.

Some use their GPS channels instead of running OwnTracks for geofence type stuff.

But IFTTT is pretty slow with high latency so I suspect most users end up moving away from it over time.

2 Likes

That is one of your best understatements of all times

3 Likes

Thanks to all of you for all. I didn’t express correctly my idea, I wanted openHAB app to send me notifications and I just have discovered that it’s possible without having the items linked to My openHAB Cloud.

So I just have configured it to receive notifications.

I’m so sorry for answering here so late, I’ve been to busy this days with exams at school.

Thank you very much,
Best,
Josep

Hi Rich,
Can you enlighten me here: “Some have a mistaken belief that they need to do so for Google Assistant or Alexa integration.”

How can one integrate OH with google home / Google Assistant if no items are exposed?
As long as there is no item exposed in OH cloud, you can’t link OH with GH. Or is there an other way to link?

By using tags, no items need to be exposed to the OH cloud at all.

That I know, and was working. But… from what I read here, you can’t link OpenHab with Google Home if there is no item in the myopenhab.
So my question: How to link Openhab with Google home when there are no items exposed.

Currently I get following error after allowing oauth2 : “can’t update setting, check your connection”
It does work with others like Ikea and iRobot.

Where?

Found it here while searching.
Even if it’s not needed, then there still is an issue.

Is that from the OH log? Where does that error come from?

No that error is coming from GH.
I know we are getting OT, and if a mod can split this topic that’s fine.

This morning out of habit I told GH to turn of the TV, and it did. To my suprise.
So GH gave an error to link OH, no OH items are visible in GH assistant, but the OH items are controllable with GH.

Forget what I wrote about the items. GH must have recognized my TV. As now, back home, all OH items are unkown to GH.

So please, who can tell me how to link OH with GH when no item is exposed on OH cloud.

It add the tags to the item definitions, for example:

Switch	LivingRoom_WallLights          "Wall Lights"    <light> (LivingRoom, MaghribLights, SunsetLights, Lights, MQTTv2)            [ "Lighting" ] { channel="mqtt:topic:LivingRoomWallLights:OnOff" }
Switch	LivingRoom_CeilingLight	       "Ceiling Light"  <light> (LivingRoom, MLights, MaghribLights, SunsetLights, Lights, MQTTv2)   [ "Lighting" ] { channel="mqtt:topic:LivingRoomCeilingLight:OnOff" }

Then add the “skill” to google home via the app on your phone
Done

My issue is solved. Root cause is unfortunately unknown.
I took a full backup with openhab-cli, then purged openhab2, reinstalled a fresh openhab, configured 1 thing with one item linked and tagged.
Setup openhab-cloud connector
added openhab to google-home, and bingo linked.
Then restored the backup, changed uuid and secret on the myopenhab and all tagged items are visible in GH.
Only now, I got an other error, but all seems to work at first.

The error:
2019-11-18 21:23:18.005 [WARN ] [l.protocol.RemoteControllerWebSocket] - WebSocketClient failure: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.InterruptedException
2019-11-18 21:23:18.010 [WARN ] [l.protocol.RemoteControllerWebSocket] - WebSocketClient failure: java.util.concurrent.RejectedExecutionException: org.eclipse.jetty.io.ManagedSelector$$Lambda$236/29326727@a2e20a
2019-11-18 21:23:18.012 [WARN ] [l.protocol.RemoteControllerWebSocket] - Cannot connect to websocket remote control interface: org.eclipse.jetty.io.ManagedSelector$$Lambda$236/29326727@a2e20a
java.util.concurrent.RejectedExecutionException: org.eclipse.jetty.io.ManagedSelector$$Lambda$236/29326727@a2e20a
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.execute(QueuedThreadPool.java:494) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.SelectorManager.execute(SelectorManager.java:163) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ManagedSelector.doStart(ManagedSelector.java:117) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:72) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:169) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:110) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.SelectorManager.doStart(SelectorManager.java:262) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:72) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:169) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:110) ~[bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]
at org.eclipse.jetty.client.AbstractConnectorHttpClientTransport.doStart(AbstractConnectorHttpClientTransport.java:64) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.jetty.client.HttpClient.doStart(HttpClient.java:244) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.client.WebSocketClient.doStart(WebSocketClient.java:355) ~[?:?]
at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.protocol.RemoteControllerWebSocket.openConnection(RemoteControllerWebSocket.java:147) [bundleFile:?]
at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.service.RemoteControllerService.start(RemoteControllerService.java:202) [bundleFile:?]
at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.handler.SamsungTvHandler.checkCreateManualConnection(SamsungTvHandler.java:281) [bundleFile:?]
at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.handler.SamsungTvHandler.checkAndCreateServices(SamsungTvHandler.java:220) [bundleFile:?]
at org.openhab.binding.samsungtv.internal.handler.SamsungTvHandler.initialize(SamsungTvHandler.java:153) [bundleFile:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_222]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_222]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_222]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_222]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler.invokeDirect(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:152) [bundleFile:?]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.Invocation.call(Invocation.java:52) [bundleFile:?]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:1.8.0_222]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:1.8.0_222]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:1.8.0_222]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_222]