Openhab.log errors about Serializing to files and Permissions

I don’t know that Mac supports creating system accounts. In fact, I’m not sure how Macs like to handle running services (e.g. starting it at system boot, restart if it crashes, etc). This is an area you will need to research because long term, you will not want to have to manually open a terminal and drag a shell script over every time you need to reboot the machine, restart openHAB, etc. A service that needs to run 24x7 should automatically come up and run.

As a result of your research you should learn whether or not it makes sense to create a separate openhab user (if it’s possible) or not.

All of this is true but not applicable here. OP is running a manually installed openHAB on a Mac by dragging a shell script from Finder into a Terminal. There is no openhab user.

My question was related to that. I don’t know what user the shell script will run under. I don’t how OP managed to run openHAB with sudo at some point using this procedure which makes me question where what I think should happen is actually happening.

Ok, I guess ye have gone as far as ye can helping me out here. Thank you all very much.
Macs can handle running services & daemons (my VPN Tunnelblick, my Dropbox etc) for user installed programs & applications which are launched automatically at startup. I don’t know how yet how to turn the openhab ‘start.sh’ into such a service or a daemon or perhaps an executable… there’s not much on the forums when it comes to Macs… :slight_smile: I did try out one forum suggestion to do this but I was in over my head with all the tek jargon bouncing around and had no success :roll_eyes:
Meantime, I can always ‘Remote Desktop’ into my Mac if necessary and drag the script into a terminal window to launch it. It’s not elegant in the least admittedly.
regards, Denis