Openhab.log not doing anything

I think I messed something up. I was following this tutorial:

and everything was working fine until I got to the instruction where it says to change

<logger name="org.openhab" level="INFO"/>

to

<logger name="org.openhab" level="DEBUG"/>

and now it doesn’t seem to be logging anything. I tried changing it back but it still isn’t doing anything. When I try to tail the log file I just get the same couple of items and nothing after that. This is what the tail looks like:

pi@raspberrypi:~ tail -f /var/log/openhab/openhab.log
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:777) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:141) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1213) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(SAXParserImpl.java:643) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
	at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:431) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
	at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:506) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
	at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.compiler.XSLTC.compile(XSLTC.java:466) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
	at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.compiler.XSLTC.compile(XSLTC.java:568) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
	at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerFactoryImpl.newTemplates(TransformerFactoryImpl.java:977) ~[na:1.8.0_91]
	... 5 common frames omitted

What did I do wrong?

Make sure you didn’t inadvertantly add some characters to the log file config. The error indicates the log back.xml file is no longer valid XML.

1 Like

… and try using another editor: either Designer or a plain ascii editor which doesn’t mess up the carriage returns or line feeds if you are on a linux system, f.e. notepad++.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s also clearly my advice. I’ve had similar issues when editing the logback.xml with a windows “editor”. It messed up the file, for example changed the " sign or changed the file permissions.

So use the Designer as sihui already mentioned or use a linux editor like nano or vi.

1 Like

Alright you guys absolutely rock! I went ahead and just grabbed a new logback.xml from the openhab downloads page and replaced the one in my Openhab Config folder and it is working great again! Thanks a lot @jaydee73 @sihui @rlkoshak!