Openhab Logviewer died on me - Solved

Tank you just re added the group.re installed the option. and bam it works.

1 Like

Ubuntu is based on Debian so the vast majority of what I’ve learned and understand about Ubuntu will also apply to Debian.

I am confused, I am also running OpenHabian on Ubuntu, even the readme you linked states:

We expect you to use the current stable distribution, ‘buster’ for Raspberry Pi OS (ARM) and Debian (x86) and ‘focal’ for Ubuntu (x86) this is. To install openHABian on anything older or newer may work or not.

I assume ‘focal’ is Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS (Focal Fossa)

You mustn’t cherry pick statements off context.
If you had read the full README you would have seen the unambiguous statement on Ubuntu support.

1 Like

It looks like all that happened to my install is i lost th group. And re adding it manually. Fixed it. So some how we just need to adapt .

Kind regards / vriendelijke groeten
Allen
Africa AVC

Sorry but that is not cherry picking, literally the first paragraph in the readme you linked:

The project provides two things:

• a set of scripts to set up openHAB on any Debian based system incl. Raspberry Pi OS, Ubuntu

Also I see that 10days ago the text was changed in the readme and sentences mentioning support for Ubuntu were removed. So it seems this was a recent decision.

But if Ubuntu is not supported anymore by the official team because of constraints then that‘s how it is. The readme is just contradicting itself in my opinion.

Yes cherry picking it is. Yes openHABian is scripts that AFAIK effectively run/work on Ubuntu.
But that does not mean it is supported as an OS. Read the Readme again more carefully. I’d think it is pretty concise on that, it even explains what ‘supported’ actually means.

As I said before it never was supported. So no it was not a recent decision either and we didn’t change the status.
Yes we in fact were heading towards supporting it but wrapping up for release, we came to conclude that we don’t make it there with the ressources we have hence we removed every such statement from the docs.
So no there will likely be no Ubuntu support until someone joins the openHABian project who provides test hardware and the willingness, dedication and time it takes to fully make all the code and optional components work and to test all of this now and in the future.

No, you’re just overinterpreting statements because you want them to be true.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.