OpenHab Marketing is Lacking

And I’m saying if you wait for that you’ll be waiting forever.

The foundation works a whole lot like OH development does, bottom up not top down. That shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone since it’s the same people doing both.

In the end it is always top down as the maintainer decides what will be implemented regardless what the bottom submits.

3 Likes

I’m definitely already in this corner. Though I work in mysterious ways over on LinkedIn and Reddit.

But:

Oliver2
I do not think that it is the community‘s job to do that job. It is the foundation‘s job.

Definitely not. I’d be super happy to get suggestions or pointers regarding what the foundation thinks it’s good (more opinions is always good) but no one can say what someone has to do. That is one step before we see people leaving the project.
The foundation is here to support the community efforts. At best, if we get together, set up a team for press work, and we present real costs with real tangible results, the foundation may decide to support said costs because wed be supporting the open source project.

Regardless of how “roundabout “ that may sound, I’m pretty sure that’s exactly how it works.

1 Like

You misunderstood. It is our job to contribute, to create videos, etc.
But definition of a global message, strategy, establishing contacts to press agencies, feeding them with information etc. that needs to be done by the foundation otherwise the chances are high that in an uncoordinated way we create an inconsistent positioning on the market and we will achieve the opposite:

we‘ll confuse potential new users

3 Likes

I partly agree, but only partly.
Who is the foundation ? It is all the members but not only the board.
So it is you all to setup any guidance and do the work. The board members might be able to give support, but that’s all we can do.

2 Likes

What I expressed above was just my small and unimportant point of view how to approach this topic. There are many other right opinions here. If you leave it up to the community all we are going to do is just discussing (like the judean peoples front in the movie Life of Brian :joy:). And there will be no decision, as there is no such decision maker. This gap needs to be fulfilled by somebody. Either the foundation board, a task force, an advisory board, whatever.
For a simple binding there is a maintainer who decides in the end. But for strategic decisions there is currently nobody.
My last 2 cents. Then I shut up😀

2 Likes

It is not the foundation to make strategic decisions in which direction openHAB evolves, it should be the community, cause the foundation and it’s members is just a minority of openHAB users.

2 Likes

Maybe off-topic now but what is the foundation doing to fulfill its own preamble?

1 Like

This is not from the preamble of the foundations construction!

It supports the forum/hosting;
It supports the my.openHAB.com remote server;

I’m not totally clear on the particulars but it already does a lot in support for the community. I really don’t understand what you’re trying to imply (a couple of times already) that the foundation isn’t fulfilling it’s objective…

Edit: took out the “pays the” because again, i don’t know the particulars. I assume so, but I’m pretty sure it supports both platforms.

Yes we do, and this is not just pocket money😉
Every foundation member can read the minutes taken from the general assembly, which also includes my financial report.

1 Like

Yes, it is

Look at the last sentence

1 Like

Sorry, but you misunderstood. It is a description of the openHAB project, but not what the foundations aim is.

I am not implying anything. I am not saying what you think I am saying.
All I said is, which you can read above, there needs to be a decision taker, either the board of the foundation, an advisory board or a task force if we want to get things done which are difficult if you do not coordinate

1 Like

I see. Thanks for clarification

Getting back on track, and topic:
I’m being annoying in LinkedIn sharing some content about smart homes and my personal projects, and abusing the openhab hashtag (and a few others).
I’ve also begun asking some of my favorite YouTubers to check out openHAB and perhaps make a video on it.
The more people ask, the more interest we generate.
I’m also participating in the /r/smarthome to promote openHAB.

Anyone has other ideas?
Too bad my YouTube channel is mostly dead otherwise I could see myself working on it a bit again once im back home…

1 Like

Wanna be a moderator in /r/openhab?

Would happily devote my personal time to it yes. I’m stuck in a weird situation where I spend 90% of my personal online time on a smartphone ._.
At least I can be useful to the community.

1 Like

[Not being flippant]

Is OH a headless chook?

What is the purpose of the foundation?

IMHO, any type of organisation (in its loosest sense), or formation, needs a strategy in order to survive. Whether or not it creates it, formulates, collects, expresses or funnels it, does not matter.

Note: Since I started this post a few answers came forward. In any case, my last sentence stays.

1 Like

You can read the foundations constitution on our website…