openHAB Milestone builds

Here is the problem.

• None of the people who actually make these decisions and do the coding are reading these suggestions.So they are not being addressed to the right people. The maintainers of the core are not super active on the forum. If you want to get their attention you will need to post an issue on github.

• The suggestions, while I’m sure are well intentioned, come across as “I know you didn’t ask, but I’m going to butt in because I’m an expert and you are doing it wrong because I say so as an expert.” I know that isn’t what you mean. You know that isn’t what you mean. But that is how they read which I think explains some of the reactions you are getting.

The suggestions are good ones. But we have the situation we have. Let’s let the maintainers finish what they are working on to get everything back up and running as it should be. Then (or even now) open a new issue and see if the maintainers are willing to conduct a lessons learned exercise and/or change their process or something. They are the ones who are making these decisions and they are the ones who are doing the work.

Until and unless you engage the maintainers your suggestions will be nothing but complaining, and not even complaining to the right people.

7 Likes

Yes, but that’s true that with all the underlaying work -needed but without any end-users added value- it’s quite difficult to give any approximation I suppose. I see all these PR flying regarding the build system change, it’s really a huge work engaged, and I suppose everyone is focused on getting it done because it has to be done instead of calculating when it will be over (that by the way could be more discouraging than anything else).

2 Likes

Is there a plan by when a next milestone release is planned?

1 Like

afaik as soon as the move to the new build system is completed (of course after some tests…)

Hello folks got a question on Milestone Builds. I am currently running on openHAB 2.5.0.M1 Milestone Build. I have a new zooz ZEN25 device that is showing up in the latest database at https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devices.

However it doesn’t appear to be in this milestone build. It displays an unknown device when I add it to my z-wave mesh network. In the past I was running the latest dev snapshot but ran into stability issues which is why I am on Milestones now. My question is simply, is there a way to run the latest and greatest z-wave binding while taking advantage of Milestone builds? I imagine that I could just dump the binding in the addon folders as I did in the past but I can’t find it. Maybe I am searching for the wrong thing. I am pretty sure that this would fix my issue with not being able to find a device that is in the DB.

Yes.

https://ci.openhab.org/job/openHAB2-Bundles/org.openhab.binding$org.openhab.binding.zwave/

1 Like

Sweet thanks a million!

I ran into an issue where the latest .jar wouldn’t work after uninstalling the zwave binding, putting the new .jar in the addons folder and restarting. In case anyone runs into this error in the openhab.log…“Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.thoughtworks.xstream;”

Here is the Fix

I can understand both maintainers and users…

What I can’t understand are words like “you have to be patient - we don’t get paid”

I worked with @milhouse to debug the squeezebox binding while I was on unstable 2.5.0
after updating I was lucky things work like expected. But after 2.5.0.M1 the complete MQTT Binding stopped working. This is an essentually part of my home automation. So I had switch back to the 2.4.0stable release.

But now I had to get the new binding working again… so I had to deal with karaf to implement only the updated binding to the 2.4.0.

So not everything is working fine with the so called ‘stable’ version…

The point is: I’m able to do stuff like this, but I think a user who is not familar with programming and code or the installation of a single binding gets stuck at this point and is maybe a little confused…

And no one wants to wait months for a fixed release - no matter if the maintainers are paid or not.

So if we want satisfied users, in my eyes we should provide new versions of older releases and add (tested & working) things to provide functioning changes to not so crafty folks.

Just a thought…

4 Likes

This is news. I’m using both versions of mqtt binding and have no problems. Did you file an issue?

2 Likes

Eagerly awaiting M2 … as I think are many others.

With MQTT and homie support uncertainties in M1 it’s all a bit uncertain as to what is fixed and what isn’t.

Ooops Sorry! I was mistaking it was 2.5.0~S1566-1 (Build #1566) discussed here… my fault…
In my memories it was 2.5.0.M1 …sorry again for my brainsalad :wink:

So please ignore my above post…

I have a ton of automated tests for Mqtt to make sure the binding works in all official releases (milestone + point release). I cannot guarantee a working state for snapshots because other gears are shifting too, like the buildsystem as a recent example.

I’m already talking to various people about having bindings with their own release schedule. That cannot happen before 3.0 unfortunately.

6 Likes

Just wanted to check in and see if there was an updated ETA on 2.5 M2? I remember seeing a post a couple of weeks ago indicating that the new build system was nearing completion.

I need to make a jump and would like to jump forward to 2.5 M2.

Thanks,

Squid

2 Likes

Just track https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/issues/866 and you’ll be always up to date!

3 Likes

Issue 886 is closed.
It would be nice to know what’s missing to publish a new version.

I tried to get this going, but there have been very few responses…

What is the syntax to upgrade to 2.5.0.M1?
I tried passing 2.5.0.M1 and 2.5.0-M1 but the script fails:

openhab@pi-openhab ➜  sudo ./runtime/bin/update 2.5.0.M1

#########################################
       openHAB 2.x.x update script
#########################################

Making Temporary Directory
Downloading openHAB 2.5.0.M1...

curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
Download failed, version 2.5.0.M1 does not exist.
If you believe this to be an error, please check the openHAB website. (www.openhab.org)

Can someone estimate the release date for the 2.5 version?

Not at this time. There was a massive change to the build system that didn’t go smoothly. There was also the big merge of ESH back into OH. I believe the developers are currently working down a bunch of bugs that have been discovered to get to a more stable state before they make another milestone release.

Because of the lack of milestone releases, I don’t know if they plan on trying to stick to the roughly every six months release cycle for point releases.

2 Likes

I personally would rather they keep working toward a stable release rather than rushing to meet an artificial deadline.

3 Likes