OpenHAB no longer working after upgrade

Of course. While I decidedly disagree with the claim that it’s unclear and quite some more of what @edwolfe807 is saying here, we (devs) all welcome any improvement at any time.

Use the link at the bottom of the web page to edit and improve in place. Or for openHABian create your pull request against this file, mind the guidelines.

1 Like

cat /proc/version doesn’t show the name of the Linux distro, it’s AFAIK just what system was used to build the kernel (which isn’t necessarily the same as the target system, even my recently setup test box shows that).
So if you used the SD image (not ISO) - you never stated that before, just like you didn’t state the hardware - you have probably never been running Ubuntu. Duh.

The docs show apt install commands because on a real Ubuntu or other Linux you can use apt to install openHAB.
But that has NOTHING to do with openHABian then.
That’s the part you still have not understood.

While I’m positive I would be an asset with my 40+ years of development, I am swamped with paid jobs at the moment. I’ll keep this in mind for when I have some free time.

So, just to be clear, your repeated claim of

is incorrect?

The part you still don’t understand is that using a perfect legitimate system command, apt, screwed up the system because of openhab. That should not happen.

Please use

cat /etc/os-release

to identify the OS of your system.

When you downloaded it from the link you posted it should show stretch/buster/bullseye or an other member of the Debian family.

Upfront: mind the forum rules, no cross-posting.
I moved this discussion back here where it belongs.

Not at all.
Ubuntu is not supported nor it ever was.
Seems you never have been running Ubuntu. But it was you to claim that not me.

Plus, you misunderstand the term “supported”.
The fact that some system works or seems to is not the same as that it’s supported which means that vendors or in this case maintainers state that it should work, that they have verified it to work at least to some proper extent and that (at least in principle) they are willing to help i.e. support users when those have problems running it. Not supported does not mean it does not work. It means they’re not willing to help you with that.

:roll_eyes: Nope, this is part of what you still don’t understand:
apt is NOT a “perfect legitimate system command” to use on openHABian for the purpose of upgrading the system.
Read this part of the docs again (you should have before use).

And no, your statement shows you have not understood the relation and difference of openHABian and openHAB.

You are obviously oblivious to your own documentation and downloads. I have my solution (upgrade the OS) and my case was made for needed changes in all of the above and you said nothing to show where I’m wrong; future readers can determine for themselves if any of this is helpful to them or not. I’m done wasting my time on this. I may even start looking for alternatives to OH (even ones that are not free) that may have better support. If you want to deny it, that is your choice; but, you, as somebody supposedly in the know, do the openhab community a disservice with your misleading comments and, at times, condescending attitude. I’m sure you will have one final comment; but, either way, I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

1 Like

Ed, you asked a question and got the answer (pointing you to the root cause of issue) in few hours, i call it a good support and good community. Rest of the discussion after the 2nd post was useless and made me feel sorry for the dev team, this is not what they deserve. If you think you should switch to another platform because the OH devs do not apologize you for nothing, do what you feel the best for you. Learning new stuff is always great, if you have the time. :wink:

a happy openHAB user

8 Likes

Thank you for speaking up @pezoli.
Thanks for this statement on the point from someone not involved in this issue and outside of the ongoing thank-you-for-OH4 posting rounds.
From me being the openHABian dev/maintainer to be very much annoyed by the OP’s attitude shown here, but also from myself as a forum moderator to put a spotlight on all those less visible openHAB project contributors that aren’t as exposed on the forum as I am.
They also deserve our gratitude and to be treated fair. That also just as much applies to all those non-devs that “just” support OH users on the forum. Spending their spare time to help them for free, that is
(I don’t wanna name anyone special here - we know who you are).

8 Likes