OpenHAB not Recognizing Jasco ZW4008 Z-Wave Device

I tried adding this device, however it was not recognized under 3.1.0. I looked it up in the database and it was not there. Makes sense.
I looked in the 3.2.0.M2 database, and it was showing there, so I upgraded to this version.

Once upgrading, I removed the binding and all the items, and re-added the binding. This item is still showing as an unknown device.
What am I missing? I have a bunch of these switches in my house, and it’s critical to me that I get these to add. Is there something else I need to do in order to get this switch to be recognized?

Thanks!

It looks to me that there is at least one version in the zwave DB for both 3.1 & 3.2, but maybe I’m looking at the wrong ID. What does the UI page show under thing properties? Could be the device type numbers have been modified.

Bob

Thanks for your reply!
Here’s a screenshot of the properties.

Here’s a screenshot of the properties and type.

As luck would have it, neither snap had what I was looking for. I’m looking for something like (0063:4952:3xxx)? Like in the eg. (the device is not in the database)

Bob
edit: There also appears to be two possible candidates in the DB. One is ultrapro (Zwave Plus) and one is regular Zwave. Can you tell what you have?

How about this?
Node 15,16,17 are all these devices.
is that device number what you are looking for starting with 050?

Forgot the screenshot

On closer inspection, it looks like every device has that same device number… that must be the device id of the USB Stick.

Yes that is the controller ID. Look on the UI page for the thing.

Edit it needs to start with 0063:

The thing that I added has the controller ID followed by the node #. I cannot find another ID anywhere.

I have a few devices that were recognized (locks and light bulbs) and they were recognized instantly. It almost looks like this couldn’t get the manufacturer information from the device. I really hope that it’s not a problem with this device, because I’ve invested a fair amount in these switches.

So I see that you have scanned, but have you added “add All” ? How did you get me the properties snap? Ui Page?

0063 is the manufacturer code for Jasco. I’m sure they will work eventually, just need to get the device numbers to see if it is a configuration issue or if your specific model is not yet in the database.

Bob

After adding the Z-Wave Serial Controller, I went to the Z-Wave binding, and hit Scan.

This picked up all the configured Z-Wave devices, I then went into the Inbox and added a few devices. I have two light bulbs that work (and show the correct manufacturer ID), but none of the switches do.

If I compare the properties of a working device (light bulb) with a non working device (switch), thre are a number of properties missing on the switch such as the devicetype, zwave_version, manufactureId, manufacturer_ref.

It looks like it’s not able to get the device information to even check the database.

Any thoughts?

So the info is missing after you added them from the scan? That does not seem right, but it’s late here, so maybe someone else can help. Only other thought is what kind of controller?

I am using an Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 connected to my PC which is a secondary controller. The primary controller is an IQPanel alarm panel.
OpenHAB Controller: Z-Wave USB stick & antenna • Z-Stick Gen5+ • Aeotec
Primary Controller: IQ PANEL 2 PLUS – QOLSYS

Last night I thought this might be a quick one, but with the devicetype, zwave_version, manufactureId, manufacturer_ref. missing something else is going on. I’m also confused by the size of your inbox. Maybe its just me, but I usually scan & include one device at a time. Tell me you didn’t include the devices with the stick detached from the PC? If yes, that’s a problem.

If no, follow the instructions in the zwave binding documentation at the bottom “If things don’t go as planned”. I’m thinking a debug file while Scanning might show something.

I’m not a super expert, but there are two “parts” to include a new Device. There is the “Add Node Discovery” and I believe that is where the devicetype, zwave_version, manufactureId, manufacturer_ref. get read from the device. Then there is the “Initialization” where that information gets referenced to the database and is set-up in OH.

Bob

I started up in Debug mode, and here’s what’s in the log openhab log.

2021-09-25 12:55:35.642 [WARN ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - NODE 1: Restore from config: Error. Data invalid, ignoring config.
2021-09-25 12:55:35.654 [WARN ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - NODE 4: Restore from config: Error. Data invalid, ignoring config.
2021-09-25 12:55:35.655 [WARN ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - NODE 5: Restore from config: Error. Data invalid, ignoring config.
2021-09-25 12:55:35.659 [WARN ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - NODE 3: Restore from config: Error. Data invalid, ignoring config.
2021-09-25 12:55:35.659 [WARN ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - NODE 10: Restore from config: Error. Data invalid, ignoring config.
2021-09-25 12:55:35.659 [WARN ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - NODE 2: Restore from config: Error. Data invalid, ignoring config.
2021-09-25 12:55:35.661 [WARN ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - NODE 11: Restore from config: Error. Data invalid, ignoring config.
2021-09-25 12:55:35.661 [WARN ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - NODE 15: Restore from config: Error. Data invalid, ignoring config.
2021-09-25 12:55:35.662 [WARN ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - NODE 17: Restore from config: Error. Data invalid, ignoring config.
2021-09-25 12:55:35.662 [WARN ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - NODE 16: Restore from config: Error. Data invalid, ignoring config.
2021-09-25 12:55:37.039 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 4: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2021-09-25 12:55:37.040 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 5: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2021-09-25 12:55:37.040 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 2: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2021-09-25 12:55:37.248 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 3: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2021-09-25 12:55:49.693 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 10: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2021-09-25 12:55:56.454 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 11: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2021-09-25 12:55:56.873 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 17: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2021-09-25 12:55:57.146 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 15: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.
2021-09-25 12:55:57.787 [WARN ] [wave.discovery.ZWaveDiscoveryService] - NODE 16: Device discovery could not resolve to a thingType! Manufacturer data not known.

Are all these devices Jasco switches? So far none of those messages are telling us anything new.

Also I’m thinking it might be good to put the controller in “exclude devices” mode and follow the device instructions to delete One Jasco switch. It should show as deleted in the UI, then delete thing from OH, then scan again, with Debug on, while following the inclusion protocol for the device. Make sense?

Bob

edit; Actually the node 1 error is a bit concerning. Do you see any messages like this on startup?

2021-08-09 10:38:56.228 [INFO ] [zwave.handler.ZWaveControllerHandler] - Attempting to add listener when controller is null
2021-08-09 10:39:01.496 [INFO ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - Starting ZWave controller
2021-08-09 10:39:01.500 [INFO ] [ve.internal.protocol.ZWaveController] - ZWave timeout is set to 5000ms. Soft reset is false.

So, after hours of testing, I finally realized that the problem was getting the device information from the primary controller (the IQPanel). When I added the devices directly to the Z-Stick as a primary controller, openHAB recognized them perfectly.
When I added them to the IQPanel, and then added the Z-Stick as a secondary controller, the devices got copied over but only one got recognized.
I even tried grabbing the JSON from the db file, and then pasting that in when copying the devices over (renaming the device id), but that didn’t work either.

So, I gave up on that, and I ended up using the Z-Stick as a primary controller, and adding the devices to that. I then created an integration from Alarm.com to notify my openHAB controller when certain activity occurred, and I can configure the automations and events in openHAB.
I’m really happy with the way this worked out, and I feel like I have a lot more control now.

Let me know if you want any details on how I completed this integration, I’m pretty proud with it, and pretty happy with it.

I realized after clicking on your IQ panel link that having two controllers was the crux of the problem. At the Zwave radio traffic level, messages start with the controller ID and the devices will only respond to the one with which they were paired. The only mystery for me was why any devices showed up with the Z-stick initially, but I suspected they could not be controlled. Otherwise it seemed a stranger at your front door could scan for devices and open locks.
Anyway, glad you got this working.

Bob