Openhab on Xubuntu

Hi,

I wanted to try Openhab using my computer, before investing in a Raspi. I tried to follow the Configuration chapter of the manual but I failed. I added the Network Binding but I can’t find devices using it. What am I doing wrong?
I don’t know if you need some logfiles.
Side question: To access/control Zigbee devices like Ikea’s tradfri light bulbs I need a zigbee USB stick, right? Is additional hardware needed?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, 64 Bit, 8GB RAM

• Java Runtime Environment:

• java version “1.8.0_192”
      • Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_192-b12)
      • Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.192-b12, mixed mode)
    • openHAB version: 2.0.0-1 installed via apt-get

Many thanks in advance

Best regards

yes for zigbee you will need hardware…

are you trying to add anything else?

Yes, I wanted to try the interface, etc first and wanted to add my smartphone with the Network Binding. But it can’t find it. Why is that?

Regards

add my smartphone with the Network Binding… never done this i added my iphone with icloud binding
go a step back… what are you trying to achieve?

just add any device to see if OH is working? i can promise its working great :slight_smile:
try to add something you need, if you have android, i am not sure how to…
but for apple https://www.openhab.org/addons/bindings/icloud/

but read first what it gives you and see if you need it… and tell me what else you can connect that is smart lets try somthing else

Actually, yes. But more like: How is OH working in terms of the UI. Since i failed to add the smartphone I was unsure if I want to proceed and buy a zigbee dongle and a raspberry pi.
Unfortunately I only have android. Is there something I could “play” with?

At the moment I only have some IKEA Tradfri bulbs, the Ikea bridge and Google Home. For starters I would be happy if I could add the smartphone and send a command to google home to say something using a google home routine.
Would it be even possible to connect the IKEA bridge to OH and control the bulbs without having a zigbee dongle?

Regards

??? Are you sure? If so then this is a REEEELY old version of OH. I recommend following the Manual installation instructions for openHABian. You can run it on Xubuntu just fine and it will make sure you have the latest and correct versions of everything.

if you are trying to add the phone so you can controll your system this is not the way to go…

1. https://www.openhab.org/addons/integrations/openhabcloud/

2. then you can connect by OH app, or by any browser

I was :smiley: But it seems to be: 2.4.0-1.

I don’t want to control OH with my smartphone. I wanted to add it as a Thing/Item to OH. After that I wanted OH to check whether its present and do something (like activate a google home routine, or turn a tradfri bulb on).

not sure network binding is the best option , phones will go offline from DHCP at some point even if in the hosue

try somthing like this… never done it