OpenHAB OpenVPN use the same RaspberryPi

Hi everybody,
Is it possible I can use single Raspberry Pi 3 or Raspberry Pi 2 B for OpenHAB 1.8.3 server and OpenVPN server as well?
If I can, how I should configure it?
Thanks in advance.

I don’t see why not. I ran both on an old laptop running Ubuntu until I put DD-WRT on my router. The two are completely independent of each other.

Install openHAB using apt-get per the instructions and install and configure openVPN using any one of the tutorials you may find.

However, given the choice, I’d put them on a Pi 3 rather than a Pi 2 though they should run just fine on the Pi 2.

Hi Rich,
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I am really appreciate it.
My situation is: I set up an openHAB server and did some configuration by configure a sitemap and item file. Then I tested by using other devices. The openHAB works fine.
But after adding an openVPN server by following: https://www.deviousweb.com/2015/11/29/raspberry-pi-as-an-openvpn-server/
Then I test again, I received the message saying: Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding.
Do you have idea why i could’t access the openHAB server?
I checked from Pi side, both server are working, the message are as following:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ service openhab status
● openhab.service - Starts and stops the openHAB Home Automation Bus
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/openhab.service; enabled)
Active: active (running) since Mon 2016-11-21 22:05:20 EST; 23h ago
Docs: http://www.openhab.org
Process: 588 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/openhab/bin/setpermissions.sh (code=exit ed, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 716 (openhab.sh)
CGroup: /system.slice/openhab.service
├─716 /bin/sh /usr/share/openhab/bin/openhab.sh -o
└─730 /usr/bin/java -Dlogback.configurationFile=/etc/openhab/logb…
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ service openvpn status
● openvpn.service - OpenVPN service
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/openvpn.service; enabled)
Active: active (exited) since Mon 2016-11-21 22:05:19 EST; 23h ago
Process: 583 ExecStart=/bin/true (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 583 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
CGroup: /system.slice/openvpn.service

Thanks

I don’t think I’m going to be much help. I followed a vastly different set of instructions way back when I did this. Overall, I think the problem is the OpenVPN network is interfering with your LAN. You might have better luck at an OpenVPN forum.

Thanks Rich,

hey @petertrea did you have luck with that for me that´ll be the onlu solution that I can see for my limited resources. :disappointed_relieved:

Sorry, I was busy with something else and didn’t have opportunity to hanging around openHab for a while.

this is possible. i had openvpn in the past install on the same pi as openhab without any issue. You need to check your openvpn configuration I believe the issue is there