OpenHab & PI4/8GB/128 - Headless Installation troubles/questions

Hello to all,

new to Raspberrry and OpenHab (while Webdeveloper since 20 years +), I have “some” troubles with the installation process.
According to this manual here: openHABian | openHAB
and reading this:

• Insert the SD card into your Raspberry Pi, connect your Ethernet cable - and power on
  • Wait approximately 15-45 minutes for openHABian to do its magic, you can watch the install progress from within your browser.
  • The system will be accessible by its IP or via the local DNS name openhabian (or whatever you changed ‘hostname’ in openhabian.conf to)

Quite so good - but means what??

My HW-setup is a wired local network (CAT7) with custom IP-Address-Range (not 192.168. etc.) - no WiFi.
New devices become automatically a new address between 100-200 (last 3 digits).
So, connecting the new Pi into that network and he may get an address e.g. x.x.x.111
But finally I want a fix address below 100 (e.g. x.x.x.91).
Of course I can rearrange that later when everything is installed, but I would prefer to have the final address before everything starts.

Now, reading the instruction:

• Insert the SD card into your Raspberry Pi, connect your Ethernet cable - and power on
  • Wait approximately 15-45 minutes for openHABian to do its magic, you can watch the install progress from within your browser.

after inserting the SD card and connect the dive … I have to wait.
And will see the process within the browser.

Does that mean by

The system will be accessible by its IP or via the local DNS name openhabian (or whatever you changed ‘hostname’ in openhabian.conf to)

Which file I have to create or edit to adjust the IP-Address (before adding the SD-Card into the drive)?
And is this possible BEFORE the OpenHab installation starts?
Because before the PI is not connected to the (local) network, he will not fetch the IP-Adress - how can this be done?

Many thanks in advance for guiding and helping me.

It’s effectively using DHCP every time it boots. So define the (final) IP in your DHCP server based on your Pi’s MAC address and you’re set.
A fixed address isn’t what the openHABian image is built to provide. With appropriate Linux knowledge you can make this work but this forum isn’t on Linux so please go g**gle for that. openHABian at least on Pi is just Raspberry Pi OS.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer.
But - sorry - it answers not my question (which was, before I start the Raspberry the first time … I want to set the final IP-Address).
And how shall I know the MAC-Address before he is started?

Made it in the meantime this way (maybe someone has a similiar question):

1. started the Raspberry
  2. let the OpenHab installer his work
  3. when done changed the IP-Address to the final (I want) on the router
  4. rebooted the Raspberry (connected via SSH)
  5. done

Raspberry has now his fixed IP-Address forever - as long as I change it again ;).

Yes it does: you cannot.