OpenHab rebooting randomly

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Rev 1.3 Memory: Free 0.19 GB Used 0.75 GB
    • Java Runtime Environment: Zulu embedded 8.25.0.76-linux-aarch32hf, build 1.8.0_152-b76
    • openHAB version: 2.4.0~M4-1
  • Issue of the topic: Openhab reboots without any warning in the logs. This started happening when I upgraded to M4. I noticed this happening with a few different scenarios.
  1. when i update a thing (such as add a location in the configuration portion of the thing)
  2. when updating a rule using VisualStudioCode

The strange parts are that I can do either one of the listed items and have no problems but then randomly the system reboots without any log information, or any that I can find.

Bindings-
Expire
Zwave
WeatherUnderground
Astro Binding
DSC Alarm Binding

I have followed the instructions for the zwave binding, removed the binding, deleted the things, installed the binding and connected the existing items back to the newly discovered things.
Notice there is a Zwave Plus USB Dongle listed and did not use this thing as the master zwave device, I used the old Zwave Serial Controller for the updated binding-I think I read in a post to ignore this new thing so that is what I did

I have tried 2 other things, update openhab through the SSH interface and the OpenHabian configuration tool and uninstalled and re-installed expire binding.

Because the log doesn’t show a problem before it reboots I don’t know where to look from here?

Upfront: openHAB is software so it does not reboot, it restarts.
Or do you mean the RPi reboots ? Or does that stay up and you mean openhab restarts ?
What log do you refer to, openhab.log ? Or the system’s logfile - if so, which one(s) ?
If it’s the RPi to reboot you will have a ‘classic’ server problem that is NOT related to OH, probably your SD card is corrupted.

If it’s just OH to restart enable comprehensive logging through Karaf console:
org.eclipse.smarthome
org.apache.karaf
org.apache.felix

Then on next restart, fetch the essential part from openhab.log and post it here.

There is a current issue with VS Code when stopping vs code or leaving the oh directory it causes a silent stop of the java machine and oh restarts

Thanks for the detailed clarification-
openhab restarts and it is not RPI rebooting
openhab.log is the specific log I am referring to
I will enable comprehensive logging didn’t know that was an option

Again thank you for the assistance

OK that makes sense and definitely correlates to some of the restarts.

Upon further investigation, this is indeed the problem and correlates with all restarts. There is a delay between when i stopping or changed vs code and the OH restart so it took more digging to find this.

Thanks to both of you Vincent and Markus!