OpenHAB reverts back to previous version after successful update

Hi everyone,
I am getting kind of desperate while trying to update OpenHAB. I am trying to update from 2.5.5-1 to the latest stable release which seems to be 2.5.10-1 at the time of writing.
At first, I had trouble completing the updates at all. So I found an advice to clean my cache. That was the first thing I did. Another problem which persists is the

FireMotD: Info: No FireMotD ExportFile detected. Please generate with “sudo ./FireMotD -S”

warning.

Here is what I did:

• Run openhabian-config -> 10 -> Install FireMotD. Completed without errors
  • Exit openhabian-config
  • Run sudo apt-get update. No errors
  • Run sudo apt-get install openhab2. Completed successfully.
  • Open second SSH connection to check version: "Welcome to OpenHABian 2.5.10-1 (Release Build)
  • Restarted my Raspberry with sudo shutdown -r

After logging in with ssh the FireMotD “No export file” error is back and my OpenHAB version is at 2.5.5-1 again.

I have no clue how to fix this. I have run the update procedure at least 10 times, from the command line, from openhabian-config and with and without the openhab2-addons. Always the same result: Back at 2.5.5-1 everytime.

Does anyone have a suggestion what to do?

Best, Max

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3B+
    • Java Runtime Environment: ?
    • openHAB version: 2.5.5-1

This looks a while lot like a failing as card. You make a change to the file system but the change reverts.

Hi Rich,
what do you suggest? What is the best way to set up my system on a new card, keep my settings but get rid of the flaws?
Best, Max

Are you sure it is not just the banner to show the old version?
What does dpkg -s openhab2 tell you ?

The FireMotD message is unrelated. Try sudo FireMotD -S -D all -d or search for the thread on this here on the forum.

results in

Package: openhab2
Priority: optional
Section: java
Installed-Size: 92564
Maintainer: https://community.openhab.org
Architecture: all
Source: openhab2
Version: 2.5.5-1

So, I guess the banner is right.

sudo FireMotD -S -D all -d

results in
FireMotD: command not found

I presume that @rlkoshak is right: The file system seems to be correct. Now I need to figure out how to move my installation to a fresh card.

/usr/local/bin/FireMotD

I don’t think your card is failing. However

means your setup is ancient and that is why you should install from scratch rather than waste time debugging.

Install openHABian v1.6.1 image to a new SD card, then export and import your config.
That’ll handle the upgrade to 2.5.10, too :slight_smile:

Thank you very much, @mstormi. I appreciate your advise. I just backep up my setup. And now I am looking forward to a fresh start. :wink:

Looks like the troubles aren’t over yet. My backup was not stored on the SD card. I checked the file before I shutdown the system running on the old card and it was there. When I mounted the card on another computer the zip file is gone.
Really weird.