openHAB runs in a docker container, so is OS agnostic, yes?

The default Docker Ubuntu image runs on the Pi.

If there were an openHABian type install for the Docker image, it could be expanded to more OSs, reducing the number of OH images that need to be built.

Careful there. There really isn’t a default image. There are default images for a given CPU architecture and there are three architectures supported, amd64 (Intel/AMD type CPUs), armhf (32-bit ARM processors, e.g. RPi 1, 2), and arm64 (64-bit ARM processors, e.g. RPi 3,4). When you don’t supply the architecture in the label when you pull the image, you will get the default for your actual CPU architecture.

Also, the base image used for the default is Debian Buster based, not Ubuntu based. The Alpine image is smaller but it uses OpenJDK instead of Zulu which can cause some users problems.

The default is Debian vs Alpine.

Distributions:

• debian for Debian 10 “buster” (default when not specified in tag)
  • alpine for Alpine 3.10

from Docker

Is that not what I said?

Also, the base image used for the default is Debian Buster based, not Ubuntu based.

1 Like

I misspoke on that detail. The default pulled on a Pi is the correct Debian container though. So, there really is a default image for a given computer. The default varies depending on the underlying architecture though.

That’s exactly my point. There isn’t a default. There are three defaults.

For the Pi? I specifically limited my initial comment.

For the RPi, depending on the version there are two. armhf and arm64 will both work on RPi 3 and RPi 4.

Yes I don’t dislike the idea either. It’s just that I don’t have the time and nerves to do it.
It’s already a hassle to figure out the various HW and OS specific bits in what openHABian supports today.
Anyone willing to join openHABian development, you’re welcome !

Thanks Bruce ,I really want to use docker but have no clue more docs can really help!!!