OpenHAB stops updating items

• Platform information:
    • OpenHABian image on RPi 3
    • openHAB version: 2.4 Stable
  • Issue of the topic:

OpenHAB process stops updating items after this message on openhab.log:

2018-12-26 14:26:00.405 [WARN ] [mmon.WrappedScheduledExecutorService] - Scheduled runnable ended with an exception:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
	at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method) ~[?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.start(Thread.java:717) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.addWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:957) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.ensurePrestart(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1603) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.reExecutePeriodic(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:350) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:296) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]
2018-12-26 14:26:54.258 [WARN ] [mmon.WrappedScheduledExecutorService] - Scheduled runnable ended with an exception:
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.addWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:957) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.ensurePrestart(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1603) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.reExecutePeriodic(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:350) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:296) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
2018-12-26 14:27:02.260 [WARN ] [mmon.WrappedScheduledExecutorService] - Scheduled runnable ended with an exception:

And it goes on. After this I normally reboot the Pi and it works again for a few hours.
If I check the events.log I can see that it stoped being populated a few minutes prior to the error.
I don’t know where to start looking, if it’s related to some Addon, or a core issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

You are running out of threads?
Do you have rules using Thread::sleep and/or while loops?
See:

Hi!

Thanks for your answer, but no… I don’t have a single sleep or while loop.

I only installed a few addons, Xiaomi Miio, Xiaomi Smarthome, MQTT, myopenhab, influxdb and json transformation.

Any of those bindings could cause the problem, you need to disable them one by one and watch your memory or wait for the error to occur.