• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Host: Ryzen 5 2600, 8 Gb, 3 Tb
      Virtualized: x86/2Gb/60 Gb
      Virtualisation platform: Oracle Virtualbox 6.1
      Virtualized: Linux Lite v4.6
    • Java Runtime Environment: Virtualized: JDK 1.8.251
    • openHAB version: 2.5.4 stable
  • Issue of the topic: webserver not accessible outside of Virtualbox

Inside the VM I can access OpenHAB by IP-address:8080 and localhost:8080 . In the Windows 10 host, I can’t do that.
I’m sure there are people running VM’s with OpenHAB succesfully.
The Network adapter is configured as bridged, which lead me to hope OpenHAB would simply appear on my network, alas… Can anybody help me ?

Is your Windows firewall blocking it? Are you sure VirtualBox is bridged to the active NIC?
I started with openHAB running in VirtualBox on Windows, so I know it works. This is a VirtualBox question, not an openHAB one though.

Many thanks for your help.
I disabled Windows Firewall for private networks but that did not help alas.
The NIC from the Windows machine is a USB WIFI device, and there is only 1 NIC defined in the virtual machine if I’m not mistaken.

How did you take on the installation ? Probably I missed something somewhere…

Does the VM get its own ip address on your network?
If you have the VM NIC bridged to the wired NIC in Windows, you would have issues.

It gets its own IP-address (192.168.1.158). I can ping it. Detected through ifconfig inside the VM and also seen in the list of IP’s connected to my modem.

What OS did you install inside your VM if I may ask ?

Debian 9, if I recall correctly.

Could it be related to the guest additions installation ?
I will try Debian 9… I know I have issues with the guest additions installed on LinuxLite. Many thanks for that hint already !

Try Debian 10 :wink: 9 is old now.
Install Debian 10 and then follow the Linux installation instructions to install openHABian. That will make things much easier for you.

1 Like

You are right, installing Debian 10 did the trick… works (almost) out of the box!
LinuxLite 4.6 had some issues with a pre-installed VirtualBox guest additions version and I never got it to work completely. No issues with that in Debian 10…

Many thanks !

1 Like