OpenHAB2 & Homekit - can't pair

Good evening.

So I’ve got a couple of links to things like my OmniLink automation system and a couple other things, so I then added the HomeKit service to OpenHAB. It pops up in Homekit, and the cute little warning about not being “certified”, but then times out when trying to pair. After that happens, it no longer shows up to try and pair again - I have to restart the OpenHAB service to get it to broadcast again.

In looking at past forum threads, it seems others have had this same problem, but the fix for them has always been to clear pairings and allow unauthenticated connections. I followed those instructions, got the same feedback from the system, but the same issue still occurs. I also see nothing in the log viewer web portal that pertains to Homekit at all.

Homekit module version: 2.4.0

Does anyone have any idea how to make this actually work?

Thanks.

OK, an update. Came across another thread:

The last entry says they changed the port number to 51826. Sure enough, it paired, but it says “This accessory isn’t currently supported by the Home app.”.

My hope/expectation was that OpenHAB would act as a “bridge” between Homekit and my OmniPro2 Automation system, exposing the security system and attached lighting to Homekit, but so far, I haven’t had much luck at all.

I noticed some “can’t write” items in the error log pertaining to the “homekit.json” file, so I looked and discovered permissions and user/group settings weren’t right so I set those like the other files in there, and now it won’t pair again, but the error log no longer has any complaints about writing to the file.

Such a shame. I was hoping this would be my solution to exposing my security and lighting stuff in the OmniPro to Homekit. :frowning:

Here’s something in the logs that may help - it’s kinda over my head since I’m so new to the platform:

2019-08-17 23:47:02.564 [ERROR] [lfe.hap.impl.connections.HttpSession] - Excepton encountered while verifying pairing

java.lang.Exception: Unknown user: 71BD8236-8FCC-4007-921C-336641C4E390

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.pairing.PairVerificationManager.stage2(PairVerificationManager.java:107) ~[220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.pairing.PairVerificationManager.handle(PairVerificationManager.java:51) ~[220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.connections.HttpSession.handlePairVerify(HttpSession.java:123) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.connections.HttpSession.handleRequest(HttpSession.java:54) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.connections.ConnectionImpl.doHandleRequest(ConnectionImpl.java:51) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.connections.ConnectionImpl.handleRequest(ConnectionImpl.java:46) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.http.impl.AccessoryHandler.channelRead0(AccessoryHandler.java:47) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.http.impl.AccessoryHandler.channelRead0(AccessoryHandler.java:15) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:105) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:308) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.access$600(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:32) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext$7.run(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:299) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultEventExecutor.run(DefaultEventExecutor.java:36) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$2.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:112) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultThreadFactory$DefaultRunnableDecorator.run(DefaultThreadFactory.java:137) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]

2019-08-17 23:47:23.326 [ERROR] [lfe.hap.impl.connections.HttpSession] - Excepton encountered while verifying pairing

java.lang.Exception: Unknown user: 71BD8236-8FCC-4007-921C-336641C4E390

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.pairing.PairVerificationManager.stage2(PairVerificationManager.java:107) ~[220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.pairing.PairVerificationManager.handle(PairVerificationManager.java:51) ~[220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.connections.HttpSession.handlePairVerify(HttpSession.java:123) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.connections.HttpSession.handleRequest(HttpSession.java:54) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.connections.ConnectionImpl.doHandleRequest(ConnectionImpl.java:51) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.connections.ConnectionImpl.handleRequest(ConnectionImpl.java:46) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.http.impl.AccessoryHandler.channelRead0(AccessoryHandler.java:47) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at com.beowulfe.hap.impl.http.impl.AccessoryHandler.channelRead0(AccessoryHandler.java:15) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:105) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:308) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.access$600(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:32) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext$7.run(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:299) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultEventExecutor.run(DefaultEventExecutor.java:36) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$2.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:112) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultThreadFactory$DefaultRunnableDecorator.run(DefaultThreadFactory.java:137) [220:org.openhab.io.homekit:2.4.0]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]```

OK, so the fix for this was a few things. First, running the latest snapshot worked (even Milestone was flakey to even get the web portals working). Additionally, it seems as if you need to have 1 device for the bridge to relay before HomeKit can do anything, otherwise when you pair, it merely comes up as “unsupported device”. So, make sure you have a single light or alarm zone sensor tagged properly BEFORE pairing (at least, that’s what I’ve found).

Thank you all.

1 Like