OpenHAB2 Install With Buster OS Problems

RPi 3 +B
OS 2019-09-26-raspbian-buster-full.zip
openHAB version: 2.4.0 Stable
(I didn’t want to use OpenHABian because there was a lot on the SD card that I needed.)
Installed as per:
Installation Procedure Used
Can’t find: http://192.168.1.115:8080
openhab-cli console gives:
Logging in as openhab
Failed to get the session

Then: sudo systemctl status openhab2

openhab2.service - openHAB 2 - empowering the smart home
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/openhab2.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2019-12-13 11:23:57 CST; 21min ago
Docs: Introduction | openHAB
https://community.openhab.org
Main PID: 1121 (java)
Tasks: 27 (limit: 2200)
Memory: 136.5M
CGroup: /system.slice/openhab2.service
└─1121 /usr/bin/java -Dopenhab.home=/usr/share/openhab2 -Dopenhab.conf=/etc/openhab2 -Dopenhab.runtime=/usr/share/openhab2/runtime -D

Dec 13 11:24:31 raspberrypi karaf[1121]: org.apache.karaf.features.core[org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.BootFeaturesInstaller] : Erro
Dec 13 11:24:31 raspberrypi karaf[1121]: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Resource has no uri
Dec 13 11:24:31 raspberrypi karaf[1121]: at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.Deployer.getBundleInputStream(Deployer.java:1586)
Dec 13 11:24:31 raspberrypi karaf[1121]: at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:869)
Dec 13 11:24:31 raspberrypi karaf[1121]: at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.doProvision(FeaturesServiceIm
Dec 13 11:24:31 raspberrypi karaf[1121]: at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.lambda$doProvisionInThread$13
Dec 13 11:24:31 raspberrypi karaf[1121]: at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
Dec 13 11:24:31 raspberrypi karaf[1121]: at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
Dec 13 11:24:31 raspberrypi karaf[1121]: at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
Dec 13 11:24:31 raspberrypi karaf[1121]: at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
lines 1-21/21 (END

There is noting in the logs. Everything including the Readme.txt is zero bytes.
It might be the “service: disabled” but I can’t find anything about that.
I’m I a victim of Friday the Thirthteenth?

Why don’t you use openHABian ?
That is right what we’ve built it for and what we might be able to help you with if installation goes wrong.
But if you decide to install the OS yourself, we don’t know what you configured there -
which is why you’ll essentially be left on your own then.

Can’t I rely on:

Depends on what you mean by “rely on”.
Technically there’s nothing why your combo should not work. But you cannot rely on someone to help you with that when in need as you are now.
With openHABian your chances are much better there. That`s a major reason why it was built, to have a common starting point.

The problem I am trying to avoid is recreating all the packages I am using now on to the new SD card.
So I guess I am between a rock and a hard place.
Which problem to solve? Get the OpenHAB2 installation working or create an OpenHABian SD and then try to get everything I need onto the new card.

It is a shame the OpenHAB.org recommended install for Linux doesn’t work for me and I guess you are saying nobody can help me.

I don’t understand the reasoning in that. With openHABian you will have all the packages you need. Plus of course you can install any other Raspbian package on top. openHABian for RPi is really just scripts on top of buster Raspbian.

Don’t understand that either. Shame on who and why?

No I don’t. And I just speak for myself, not for other users or openHAB.

Follow the openHABian Linux install. That is what I do on my Pi and other VMs.

# install git
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install git

# download and link
sudo git clone https://github.com/openhab/openhabian.git /opt/openhabian
sudo ln -s /opt/openhabian/openhabian-setup.sh /usr/local/bin/openhabian-config

# execute
sudo openhabian-config

from

2 Likes

Yes but @Bruce_Osborne mind you that if he starts from his own base instead of stock Raspbian, it’s the same situation again which we try to avoid by deploying openHABian image: if something basic does not work thereafter, it is because of the OS setup, or more precisely because of what he did to it, i.e. the diff between stock Raspbian and his SD card as it is now.
Again no common starting ground. And that exactly in turn is again why noone (or at least a lot less people) will be willing to put efforts into debugging that.

I thought you were recommending your openHABian image which is Raspian Lite, not Raspian. I am current running openHABian on Debian.

I do but Raspbian Lite is Raspbian, too, so that does not change things, does it ?
You can also install stock Raspbian (non-lite) and as the very next thing openHABian on top (so you don’t have any significant ‘diff’).
But why would you want to? Nothing in there you need which is not in the image as well, and it’s way easier to use the image to come with auto-install.

For me, with NOOBS, it is easier to install Raspbian Lite & then openHABian. :wink:

Easier than to flash and just wait ?
We might be talking different things however if you (silently, not mentioned it) want your server to do stuff beyond openHAB (and its ‘affiliate’ stuff to come with openHABian).
But that would not be a recommended setup either.

Wow, I wasn’t aware of this method. I thought I had to start with an SD card image.
This should solve my problem.
I will uninstall OpenHAB and install OpenHABian using git.

Am I allowed to say thanks?

2 Likes

They haven’t banned anybody for that yet… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You are very welcome. :smiley:

The stackoverflow dudes do, I think.
The method you pointed to worked (not right off but after a lot of trashing).

Now I am searching the community for a way to totally reproduce or mirror a previous OpenHAB configuration I have on a previous SD card.

You can run openHABian on an already existing configuration. Just follow the manual configuration steps and nothing that is already on that SD card will be removed.

There are two installation instructions on that page. Which one did you follow?

Did you install the prerequisites? Installation Overview | openHAB

What do you see in syslog? systemctl status truncates the log lines so it we can’t actually see what the error is.

Or use the manual installation of openHABian and leave the stuff on your SD card alone.

Again, which one? There’s a package install and a manual install or you could download the deb file and install that.

For the record, the “Package Installation (Recommended)” instructions on the very page you linked to are exactly what Bruce posted above.

Depends on the age of the previous. If it’s even remotely recent you can use openhab-cli backup and then openhab-cli restore.

He originally posted the Linux install link for OH not for openHABian

Correct, and that link has two sets of instructions. One that essentially amounts to what you posted and another that shows how to do a manual install (i.e. unzip to /opt/openhab2). And it also provides a link to the deb file so someone who didn’t read the page and knows a little about Linux might just download the deb file so that could be counted as a third set of implied instructions.