openHab3: Failed to execute commandLine

Hi all,

today I upgraded from OH2.5 to OH3 and all went fine so far. Now I am testing all my different rules and commands. At one point I getting stucked on an error I cannot explain:

Failed to execute commandLine ‘[node /etc/openhab/scripts/node_modules/njstuya/njstuya.js]’

The command is whitelisted, the ownership is set to openhab und the rights on the file are 777

Has somebody an idea how to solve this ?

Scuby

The syntax of executeCommandLine has changed. See here.

Hi,

yes I know and my new syntax is as following:

execResult = executeCommandLine(Duration.ofSeconds(6), tuyaScript + configStr + triggeringItem.state)

results in

execResult = executeCommandLine(Duration.ofSeconds(6), “node /etc/openhab/scripts/node_modules/njstuya/njstuya.js”)

Scuby

All arguments must be in separate strings:

execResult = executeCommandLine(Duration.ofSeconds(6), "node", "/etc/openhab/scripts/node_modules/njstuya/njstuya.js")

I don’t see what part comes from triggeringItem.state, so maybe the command must be:

execResult = executeCommandLine(Duration.ofSeconds(6), "node", "/etc/openhab/scripts/node_modules/njstuya/njstuya.js", triggeringItem.state)
1 Like

Thanks a lot there the issue was…

Hi,

I have just filed

to get this properly documented.

Here is how it will look in the docs:
Actions | v3 Documentation Preview (deploy-preview-1369–openhab-docs-preview.netlify.app)

Feedback is highly appreciated.
cc to @holgerf who commented on my issue on github.

2 Likes

Sorry to interrupt: There is always this syntax used:
-> Duration.fromSeconds(timeout)
But for me it only works (DSL-Rule) with:
Duration.ofSeconds(timeout)

See also here:

1 Like

Good catch!
@Confectrician can you please correct this in the documentation?

1 Like

@rlkoshak
@NorbertHD

next problem:

• How can i use the String output of executedCommandLine. It does not work at OpenHab 3.0:

In my DSL-Rule:
var String test = executeCommandLine(Duration.ofSeconds(5),"/etc/openhab/scripts/ping.sh)

if(test == “ON”){
}else if(test == “OFF”){ }

When i log the value of test, everything is alright but no if condition is working. It is like there was no if condition.
What confusingly works:

var String test = “ON”
if(test == “ON”){
}else if(test == “OFF”){ }

the if conditions are working now but what is different? The waiting time for a correct value is long enough.

Thank you in advance!

Perhaps the command has white space before or after the result.

"ON" != " ON"

Perhaps an invisible character like a CarriageReturn? Can you log the length of the test string?

@NorbertHD
@Confectrician
Good idea but it is not the problem. The if conditions are simply skipped. Its offline, because my start condition is Offline. Both ifs are not active. When i uncomment: //test=“ON” the rules are working again.
Here is my script:

#!/bin/bash
ping -c1 $1 > /dev/null

if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
echo “OFF”
else
echo “ON”
fi

log:

21:51:25.541 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent ] - Item ‘Debug_Button’ received command ON
21:51:25.554 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘Debug_Button’ changed from OFF to ON
21:51:25.837 [ERROR] [org.openhab.core.model.script.test ] - ON

21:51:25.841 [ERROR] [org.openhab.core.model.script.kamera1] - Kamera1_Status (Type=StringItem, State=Offline, Label=Kamera 1, Category=null, Groups=[gStatus])

my rule:

rule "Debug_Button"

when

Item Debug_Button changed

then
    var String test = executeCommandLine(Duration.ofSeconds(5),"/etc/openhab/scripts/ping.sh", "192.168.2.11")

logError("test", test)

//test="ON"

if(test == "ON"){

Kamera1_Status.sendCommand("Online")

Kamera1_Status_lastseen.postUpdate( new DateTimeType() )

}else if(test == "OFF"){

Kamera1_Status.sendCommand("Offline")
        }
    logError("kamera1", Kamera1_Status.toString)
    end

No, if conditions don’t just get skipped. Code doesn’t work like that. They are evaluating to false.

Notice how there is a stray newline between your log line of the value of test and the next one. That means the script is returning

"ON

"

not “ON”.

Newline is often represented with \n so maybe that will be more clear.

"ON" != "ON\n"

Change your log statement to

logError("test", "\""+test+"\"")

and you will see that your script is returning more than just “ON”.

1 Like

thank you very much! You were totally right. But why did it work on OpenHab2?

the log says:

22:03:38.145 [ERROR] [org.openhab.core.model.script.test ] - "ON
"
Why is there a gap?

executeCommandLine was rewritten in OH 3. Frankly, the current way it behaves is more correct. echo outputs the message followed by a newline. If OH 2 didn’t include the newline it wasn’t returning the full output of your script which is wrong.

1 Like

Thank you! I solved it.

For everybody else you need to add:

echo -n “xy”

I have added a comment to my pull request and will fix it.

2 Likes

While you are at it, the paths to the users.properties files in the Console page describing how to change the password are still openhab2. I’ve got a sticky note on my monitor but if you’re already making a PR…:wink:

Could you do me a favor and transfer the sticky note to a one liner issue in the repo?

I am on mobile currently.

It was just as easy to create the PR. :smiley: