[openhab3] paperui is GONE after fresh install

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: pi 3b
    • Java Runtime Environment: openjdk 11.0.9 2020-10-20 LTS
    • openHAB version: 3.0.0 release
  • Issue of the topic: used openhabian2 fine, then I decided to reinstall into openhabian3 because I needed 3 for improved xiaomi air purifier plugin. As Openhab2 user after installation I was surprised to not get asked what UIs I’d like to run, but then I found there is no way to install paper ui at all.

Tried to follow a bunch of old googled posts with no success. Adding ui = paper,paperui,basic,habpanel to addons.cfg strangely only gave me habpanel:

openhabian@openhabian:/var/log/openhab $ tail openhab.log
2021-02-20 14:24:03.540 [INFO ] [.core.internal.i18n.I18nProviderImpl] - Time zone set to 'Europe/Warsaw'.
2021-02-20 14:24:03.620 [INFO ] [.core.internal.i18n.I18nProviderImpl] - Locale set to 'en_PL'.
2021-02-20 14:24:21.219 [WARN ] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - The ui add-on 'paper' does not exist - ignoring it.
2021-02-20 14:24:21.225 [WARN ] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - The ui add-on 'paperui' does not exist - ignoring it.
2021-02-20 14:24:37.097 [INFO ] [.core.model.lsp.internal.ModelServer] - Started Language Server Protocol (LSP) service on port 5007
2021-02-20 14:24:44.582 [INFO ] [e.automation.internal.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule engine started.
2021-02-20 14:24:47.821 [INFO ] [org.openhab.ui.internal.UIService   ] - Started UI on port 8080
2021-02-20 14:24:51.381 [INFO ] [ab.ui.habpanel.internal.HABPanelTile] - Started HABPanel at /habpanel
2021-02-20 14:25:21.137 [WARN ] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - The ui add-on 'paper' does not exist - ignoring it.
2021-02-20 14:25:21.143 [WARN ] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - The ui add-on 'paperui' does not exist - ignoring it.

finally I decided maybe for some strange reason it was not bundled in with the openhabian3 installation after all, so I wanted to install it manually, but then:

openhab> feature:list | grep paper

:open_mouth:

openhab> feature:list | grep ui
Name                                              x Version          x Required x State       x Repository               x Description
openhab-runtime-ui                                x 3.0.0            x x        x Started     x distro-3.0.0             x openHAB UI
openhab-core-ui                                   x 3.0.0            x          x Started     x distro-3.0.0             x
openhab-core-ui-icon                              x 3.0.0            x          x Started     x distro-3.0.0             x
openhab-binding-buienradar                        x 3.0.0            x          x Uninstalled x openhab-addons-3.0.0     x Buienradar Binding
openhab-ui-basic                                  x 3.0.0            x x        x Started     x openhab-addons-3.0.0     x Basic UI
openhab-ui-cometvisu                              x 3.0.0            x          x Uninstalled x openhab-addons-3.0.0     x CometVisu Backend
openhab-ui-cometvisu-php                          x 3.0.0            x          x Uninstalled x openhab-addons-3.0.0     x PHP support for CometVisu
openhab-ui-habot                                  x 3.0.0            x          x Uninstalled x openhab-addons-3.0.0     x HABot
openhab-ui-habpanel                               x 3.0.0            x x        x Started     x openhab-addons-3.0.0     x HABPanel

please send help. Was paperui eradicated from 3.0.0 and nobody told me?

How should you get told? Have you considered to read the Release Notes and/or the Documentation at all?

2 Likes

But I sent you a postcard over Christmas with all the information…

As @opus pointed out, the release notes:

Most visible change is the new Main UI. It comes with a setup wizard and which replaces Paper UI and HABmin, but also serves as a very powerful end-user UI

and

The Paper UI has been removed from the distribution. Its features were moved to the new Main UI.

I’ll go speak to my postman about the poor delivery service…

2 Likes

Give the Main Ui a try. It is much better than paper Ui

Ah, so embarrasing! :man_facepalming:

Ok then so how do I enable the simple mode which allowed me to set up all my devices in like two clicks in OH2 paperui? Actually, before I ask, I should probably consult the changelog… It says "Simple mode" and auto-linking have been removed"!
:sob:
Ok I’ll try mainui

You are probably the only user here that liked & used Simple mode. The Items created were not intuitive and were limited in customization.

1 Like