Openhabian changes my desktop

Hi mstormi

I realize and accept that my installation is not as 95% would do it, however my requirements does not fit a “just install the OpenHab image just like everyone else”

You are right I don’t need a desktop for my smart home application but as stated earlier I’m using the same raspberry pi for other use as I think it is environmentally unfriendly to have yet another Raspberry pi for the sole purpose of just running OpenHab That’s just waste of electricity even though it is low power it adds up over time.

Or said in another way, why is the argument often “you have to run our application alone, no one else is allowed”?
I mean OS on a broad perspective has for years allowed multiple applications to run simultaneously and OpenHab is not a CPU consuming setup as I know it. So why not use the same HW for multiple purposes?

We should all get away from the thought of “One HW for one application” in my opinion.

BR
MKlitgaard

Hi Wolfgang

I have now used the GUI of Openhabian and successfully installed a OH4 setup to my needs but before getting to that point I did once more landed into the situation where I had a change of the desktop.

I’m fairly shure (90%) that it occurred when running the "update of rights of folders and systems " in the GUI (sorry can’t at the moment recall the right name for it)

so it can be reproduced even by using the GUI

br
MKlitgaard

Well, you can use it for several stuff, not just openHAB, that‘s why openHABian has a menu for such.
But you should be careful what you use your Raspberry for. I personally would never use it for mixing my smarthome with anything I work on for non smarthome related purpose.
That said, I have installed openHAB, mosquitto, frontail snd homegear on the same machine, everything smarthome related.
Anything else is on different hardware or virtualized.

Because we don’t have enough man power to support it.

You can deploy openHAB however you want. You can even deploy openHABian how ever you want. But we can only afford to support a tiny set of deployments and none of those include a desktop.

It’s worth noting that openHABian includes something like 20 (maybe more) third party software and services that are commonly run alongside openHAB (e.g. NodeRed, Mosquitto, Frontail), maintenance configurations and utilities (e.g. zram, Amanda, SD card mirroring, etc.). It’s not just “one software”. It’s a whole system configuration.

openHABian is more like LibreELEC or Retropi. These are intended to be used as turn key preconfigured systems. To provide a similar situation, I ran Retropi for awhile. I prefer fish to bash so I changed the default shell for the retropi login. This broke it. I had to revert to bash in order for the UI to come up at all.

Please do if that’s your goal or desire. We just can’t support it. Early on we tried and it didn’t work.

Also I’ll say it once again, openHAB != openHABian. You can install openHAB anywhere Java 17 will run. If you want to run it on an RPi with a desktop or soem other configuration not explicitly supported by openHABian, please don’t use openHABian. Just install and configure what you need how you need it yourself.

Finally I will say that openHAB is RAM consuming which is usually the limiting factor on SBCs.

1 Like

have you made sure to create a debug log of that session ?
That debug log would help to really see what has been executed and if packages have been deinstalled as before.

We’re not saying that. The official statement is here:

As written you can put everything on there if you want and dare to.
It’s just that you’re on your own then w.r.t supporting this.
And you shouldn’t be overdoing things.
It’s a proven idea to run your smart home server as a dedicated system to minimize risk of operations.
I’m not opposing fundamentally, but a smart home server is right not the best example for a general discussion of your pet idea or ideology.

And of all things that make sense to co-install you chose to run a desktop ?
That only makes sense if that’s your only computer (and I’d doubt it is, is it ?).
If you have another PC or Mac then you don’t need your Pi for a desktop.

Hello:

Just to let you know that you are not alone, here another one part of that remaining 5% that hit the same issue! :slight_smile:

After an “openhabian-config unattended” and a reboot, my desktop changed. I re-installed pixel: “sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods” and all seems to be back to normal.

Kudos to the OpenHab colleagues, and grateful to them and the community for the great home automation tool we have here!

BR