openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

Ja, das würde ich auch noch gerne wissen, warum /lib/systemd/system/hciuart.service fehlt.
Ich bin auch nach den Anleitung vorgegangen, bin dann auf das overlay ohne BT gesprungen.
Würde mich für später noch interessieren, das wieder zu aktivieren.

Ich kann dir aber sagen, dass das prinzipiell so geht mit Openhabian und Razberry2 und Raspberry 3. Habs grade zum Laufen bekommen.

Ist demnach nicht installiert :wink: Sicher dass dieser Dienst noch benötigt wird? Für die Änderung scheinbar nicht:

Why do you have to disable Bluetooth!? Isn’t it enough to use /dev/ttyS0 for the serial port? Are you sure that the Razberry2 is not working otherwise?

Good question. No, i’m not sure. This is my first Raspberry and my knowledge is very limited about the Raspberry SOC in combination with Razberry2. As far as i know the speed of /dev/ttyS0 is bound to the cpu frequency with all (for me) unknown impacts. There is a way to fix it by configuring a fixed cpu clock frequency. I think, most people choose 100% clock speed.
So, my solution is: Map GPIO 14/15 to /dev/ttyAMA0 and drop the BT, because i don’t want to configure a fixed cpu clock frequency and i don’t use BT yet, maybe later.

There is a special raspian distribution from ZWave.me guys, the developers of the razberry2 board, for the Z-Way system. They use /dev/ttyAMA0 and the same overlay boot configuration, but i don’t know why.

There is also a German language forum:

Hi all,

Not sure if this issue is to do with the installation script or not.

First of all a big thank you for developing the utility. I installed it a week ago and ended up with the most functional OH2 installation I’ve had yet :slight_smile: It’s very helpful.

But I recently ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and after a reboot nothing gets initialized.

What have I done wrong? I have a very basic installation.

No, it’s not about the script. At the moment (or maybe forever?) an apt-get update/upgrade does delete all bindings, actions, persistence etc. Only the configuration files remain.

See here:

You have to manually add all your bindings etc. to the addons.cfg file.

@jaydee73, many thanks for your prompt reply. I guess I’ll use updates more sparingly from now on!

1 Like

and since I’ve hijacked this thread, may I ask another question regarding the Mosquitto installation included in the script.

When I follow the instructions on [http://owntracks.org/booklet/guide/broker/], (http://owntracks.org/booklet/guide/broker/), it seems fine until I try subscribe with the following:

Did I miss setting permissions or something? I see some SSH commands require me to enter the pi’s password. Maybe I need to turn that off somewhere?

I’ve had MQTT working on a previous installation of OH2 (via apt) so i’m not sure what I missed here.

Starting mosquitto seems fine:

I just want to say thanks for this work.
I’m new to openhab AND to Linux AND to RasPi,
and your Openhabian made my decicion easy to give my dream of an smart home a try :slight_smile:
Install worked fine without any problems, thanks.

Additional remark: would be nice if you could add some more basic information to this thread for dummys like me, for example how to login into openhabian machine, default username and password

This is a shout out to RPi+Razberry+openHAB users:

Please help solve the still unclear issue with the Razberry and openHABian, especially in combination with a RPi3 with Bluetooth. There is a ticket for that topic in the issue tracker. Input from users with experience with the hardware and/or willing to gather the needed intel, please step forward :wink:

I looked into the script you are talking about and found more details regarding the problem that both Razberry and Bluetooth use the same UART pins 14 and 15. That’s the reason why Bluetooth indeed needs to be disabled! (CPU freq changes do not seem mandatory) (The following has to be done additionally to Serial Port activation through openhabian-config)

I’m not sure about the differences between these two solution but I would recommend the one used in the official installation script:

# Disable bluetooth Raspberry Pi 3
RPI_BOARD_REVISION=`grep Revision /proc/cpuinfo | cut -d: -f2 | tr -d " "`
if [[ $RPI_BOARD_REVISION ==  "a02082" || $RPI_BOARD_REVISION == "a22082" ]]
then
	echo "Raspberry Pi 3 Detected. Disabling Bluetooth"
	systemctl disable hciuart
	# Add "dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt" to /boot/config.txt if needed
	if [[ ! `grep "dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt" /boot/config.txt` ]]
	then
		echo "Adding 'dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt' to /boot/config.txt"
		echo "dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt" >> /boot/config.txt
	fi

echo "!!! Update Raspberry Pi 3 Firmware for stability work with commands:"
	echo "sudo apt-get install rpi-update"
	echo "sudo rpi-update"
fi

Btw.: The “hciuart” service is disabled during the mentioned installation script.

Btw. 2: A “UZB” was mentioned and successfully tested without disabling Bluetooth (the above instructions). I’m too lazy too google what UZB is, I’ll leave this here just for reference.

Hey guys,
loosing the list of installed bindings is in fact a current problem in openHAB which is worked on with effort! Current plans are to remove the cause of this problem this Thursday. Please do not overrate this hickup of a beta snapshot :wink:

Apart from the problem, I can still recommend installing bindings through addons.cfg as this will act as an instant backup of your setup.

@UglyKidJoe: “I’ll use updates more sparingly” is not the conclusion you should draw from that :smiley:

The command your screenshot shows should work with the default setup. I’d guess the IP address is the problem. This has to be the IP of your broker, which is the openHABianPi itself (localhost). In this you can just ignore this option.

mosquitto_sub -t 'owntracks/#'

is it possible to install this on a USB drive… i tried changing the cmdline.txt to root=/dev/sda2 but that didn’t work anything else i should be doing?

• Use the “Move root to USB” feature in the menu after you finished installation on SD card (this will still need the SD to be present)
  • Set inside installer-config.txt usbroot= # set to 1 to install to first USB disk. This was not tested by me.

sorry can you please clearify that for me. where do i find the MOVE ROOT TO USB. once i downloaded the “openhabian-ua-netinst-20160915-git9e034e7” i used Wind32Diskimage to put the image on my sd card…

also inside the installer-config.txt

do i replace the
"hostname=openHABianPi boot_volume_label=openHABian disable_root=1 username=pi userpw=raspberry user_is_admin=1 timeserver=0.pool.ntp.org timezone=Europe/Berlin"

with
"usbroot= # set to 1 to install to first USB disk"

Okay, the openHABian menu is something you will find after installing the system on an SD card.

If you do not have any prior experience with openHABian I would recommend to go with an sd card. There is no eminent reason to prefer an USB stick and you can still switch at any point if you really want to.

Regarding the option, after booting the system and connecting via SSH you will be able to execute sudo openhabian-config to see the menu mentioned in all previous update postings here (scroll up). There you will find the menu entry “Move root to USB”.

As for the installer-config.txt: Your quote tells me that you are on Windows and use the default Notepad. Microsoft Notepad does not support Linux line endings, that’s why everything is cluttered together from your point of view. That’s not your fault, MS doesn’t care that millions of users run into that problem at some point in their life. A very general suggestion: Install the way better Notepad++ and use it from here on out!

After you got a sane view on the content of the file, just add usbroot=1 at the end.

Thanks for quick reply…
i was able to install the image on 2gb SD and run it… it did not finish installing the whole thing due to lack of space. I was able to boot my pi with the SD and moved the stuff on my USB… (i don’t have a big SD card). if i ran every single option on the openhabian-config. would that be the complete installation? or do i really need to start with 8bg micro sd?

thank jay

While the initial setup a lot of things are done. I can not vouch for a full openhabian setup on your system from where you are starting. If you really want to work with the 2GB card (imho not worth it) you can however continue as you did. The important steps can be executed through the first few menu entries. Start with Update and then continue. Good luck!

To not have to deal with this and in order to avoid possible problems, my personal approach would be to buy an SD card and be done with it.
16GB is what I would recommend to remarkably reduce wear / increase the chance that your data does not get corrupted.

Perhaps you can point me to the problem:

After about one day the ssh-connection isn’t working anymore. I was connected and then all commands like nano, ls, cp etc were replied by “command not found”. OpenHAB webinterfaces still work as expected. This was the second time now. As I don’t have a display at the raspberry I can’t tell what’s on the console :frowning:

EDIT: Now there is no ssh working anymore even after hard reboot by power cable. OpenHAB still starts expected :frowning: