openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

Try

sudo /opt/openhabian/openhabian-setup.sh

Hello Peter

That indeed is the trick. Many thanks!

Normally there should be a symlink from /opt/openhabian/openhabian-setup.sh to /usr/local/bin/openhabian-config so that simply “sudo openhabian-config” would work.

Maybe your installation is somewhat old. I suggest to do an

"01 Update" and a 
"02 Basic setup"

in openhabian-setup.sh

1 Like

Hey shorty, that’s a nice page indeed. Maybe I’ll reference it in the Readme for whoever still wants to install the GUI. Thanks!

I’ve answered you in your private message.

Hey @david,
thanks for reporting on that! Great you gave it a go. Making openHABian compatible for Pine64 would be great!

1. Basic Setup will do these things right now. As you can see these are not closely linked to openhab. The important parts are the functions needed_packages and misc_system_settings. Maybe these should be outsourced. “I had to install java before” is not clear to me. It’s installed by needed_packages and besides there are no dependencies… Could you elaborate?
  2. I found your comment on that here but not much more. Why would 32 bit be preferred? If this is indeed the case, here’s the situation: openHABian installs oracle-java8-installer from the webupd8team apt source. Which additions would you need?
  3. It’s no wonder, that raspi-config is not found for other devices. I could make it conditional for Raspberry Pi only. Oracle java should not be a problem though
  4. This is a bit tricky but could actually be solved quite nicely by the contribution of @elias_gabrielsson. I’ll look into that.

Thanks for your feedback! Could you please create issues for all four points!? Danke

@ThomDietrich, I’ll get issues created for all of them later today.

For now here is some clarifiction

What I was intending to say is before I could get the “Basic Setup” to work, I had to run the “Install Java” step. Otherwise it would complain about the java dependencies, but wouldn’t actually install java. If the dependencies are supposed to be resolved automatically, then it seems that isn’t working quite right.

In regards to 32-bit vs 64-bit, my comment is based off information from last May, where 32-bit was preferred on 64-bit ARM due to performance issues and also issues with serial libraries (in particular with z-wave). Here is a link to the thread

Perhaps @Kai can confirm if 32-bit is still preferred on 64-bit ARM.

Confirmed.

Issue number #4 is no problem to change when my pull request is double checked and merged. The username and password is when building the image and then dynamic loaded on install.

Maybe you can change your script to load it dynamic from same file as my pull request?
See: https://github.com/EliasGabrielsson/openhabian/blob/password-change/openhabian-setup.sh#L36

Just used openhabianpi to upgrade my installation from OH1 to OH2, and what a great tool this is!! Everything was done and ready for me to start moving over my configs within an hour! Great job @ThomDietrich and everyone else who contributed!!

I am having issues connecting to the Karaf console (I did do the binding step in openhabian-config, but SSH connections don’t do anything, no text, no timeout, just sit there). Is there an additional step I’m missing?

I find it really slow first time I connect. It use to timeout first try, after that everything work as expected.

ssh openhab@localhost -p 8101

Thanks @bartus, happy to hear it’s working for you. This problem is kinda known. The system needs to calculate the SSH host key. This key will be generated upon first ssh connection attempt. On weaker system - in my experience everything weaker than a RPi 3 - this generation will make the first connection fail/timeout. Please try a second/third time, connection will succeed eventually. If not restart openhab (sudo systmctl restart openhab2.service).

Btw. on your openHABian system you’ll find the command (alias) karafshell.

Not ideal? Comment in the referenced thread. If the timeout thing is a problem for users, we could look into triggering the key generation at an earlier point in time, i.e. at setup time or as part of the apt installation process.

Thank you. I had to log into samba from different computer first. Kinda weird but worked fine after. Got the uuid and secret now working on thje connection to myopenhab. Thanks for all your support and efforts

Aha! Walked away from my computer for a few hours, and the key generation messages were waiting for me when I got back…so, another case of me being impatient :slight_smile:

I do think it’d be nice to make this part of the initial setup - I’m sure there’s more impatient users, not just me :wink:

1 Like

@Benjy What’s your opinion? I could build something in openHABian but would envision the generation of an the karaf host key as a step of the apt pre installation routine.

I agree that something might need to be done for slower machines running openhab for the first time. The initial hang can take a very long time and won’t get any better if the user thinks it’s a crash and tries to force a restart.

I don’t know as of yet how you could pre-generate the key. I’d assume the karaf documentation might give this away. The easiest thing to do is to generate a message on first launch to say that the key generation process might take time.

how i can binding a nanoCul for homematic devices? Cant find nanoCul. nanoCul works on raspberry 2 with FHEM.

gorgse

Hi,
This is my first post on this Forum so Hi everyone.
Although I’m not Linux guru I always thought I can follow simple step by step guide but…

I’m trying to get image of OpenHABian and I confused myself.
I was expecting to see some sort of .img file to download and put on SD using disk imager.
When using links here to download I’m getting repository open with various system files but nowhere .img.
(even considering copying all these files on SD card - it is not 64MB???)

Please enlight me what I’m missing here.

I’m sorry that so basic question is being ask here… newbee…

Thanks a lot and all the best in New Year!!!

Patryk

Start reading here: openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup
After a while of reading you will find a clickable link: Releases · openhab/openhabian · GitHub
DL your image and have fun.

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks Sihui, :flushed: I feel very embarrassed.
I readed all 408 pages of that forum but I was impatient to scroll to the bottom of downloads page thinking that links on the side are what I need.

Sorted now.
Thanks again.