openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

###Everyone!

I have just uploaded a first version of the openHABian docs article to the docs Issue Tracker for review.

Yes that’s the article to replace: http://docs.openhab.org/installation/openhabian.html

Here you can find the PR and the preview (Warning: The article is not finished). If you want, please have a first look and tell me about what you are missing, what’s wrong or how you want to help :wink: I’m planning to finish the article tomorrow evening.

Thanks! Thomas

@Branden_Smale @jaydee73 @RHINESEL @UglyKidJoe @mashborn

Very nicely written sir! Only thing I might add is how to access the network shares. I did from my windows machine and had to map the network drives, which I’m quite sure you are familiar with. Otherwise, awesome!

Hey Branden, thank you very much. This

links to this chapter of the Linux article: http://docs.openhab.org/installation/linux.html#mounting-locally

Is that not enough?

Hi,
I have been using OH2 on a windows PC for a while. I decided to give the Pi a go.
I have a RPi 3 and downloaded the image.
On the first boot, I changed the Pi password, machine name etc. I received the OH2 paper interface and added a couple of bindings ie MQTT, weather etc. Basically quite a few changes.
When I went to look at the log files to see how it was going, under “openHAB-userdata”, there is only a Log folder not a Logs folder. The log folder does not have any log files. Empty of all files.
Because of all the changes, I thought I might have buggered something in relation the creation and storage of the log files.

I performed a fresh image, can see the Paper interface. However there is only the Log folder not Logs folder and of course no log files.
Ideas?
Thanks,
Neil.

sorry, didnt follow the links, so yeah, its enough…

Might be of interest to some other users in relation to what was discussed by @ThomDietrich and myself above re wear-leveling.

I did some research into quality SD cards for a fair price and came across this article:
http://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/raspberry-pi-microsd-card

Might be worth a look for your first (or next) SD card purchase.

1 Like

That’s okay but please let me know if I should make that more clear :wink: The Port in the Linux article could also be extended to contain more details.

Hey guys,

i want to copy my existing openhabian to a new SD-Card…How can i handle this?

ty!

Hey! You should be fine just moving the image from one card to the other.

One thing you’ll have to look out for: Different sizes of the old and new SD card could be a problem. That is a bigger issue if the new one is smaller, which I do not expect. There are multiple solutions out there, good luck!

1 Like

haha i know to change the sd-card from one hardware to another…i mean how can i handle to move the whole image or how can i create an image of the existing openhab2 to move it from 16GB to 8GB :smiley:

Edit: Can i just add a new file with myopenhabimg.img and then read from win32diskimager?
Edit2: Is a class 4 sd-card enough or should i be a class 10?

@philKrylc @Noircogi the host.key change introduced more problems than it solved and was reverted. You may see some transitioning effects but everything should work as before now. https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/issues/399

Best Regards, Thomas

1 Like

Any ideas why there isn’t a logs folder and files?
Neil.

Have you checked in /var/log/openhab2/?

1 Like

Hi @ThomDietrich,

just some remarks:

• under features - raspberry pi specific: you could also mention menu options 20 - 22
  • under quick start: Raspberry Pi: small typo in the sentence

This system will install Raspbian followed by openHAB and a the mentioned settings and tools.

• cosmetic: you may want to consider exchanging Linux with GNU/Linux
  • may be it’s an option to add some words regarding how to change the default passwords
1 Like

As @scottk already said, you are checking in the wrong spot: http://docs.openhab.org/installation/linux.html#file-locations

@ThomDietrich: Thanks for your help.

But what if I have already run the updates?
“OK - No remote changes detected. You are up to date.”

By the way: I very like your first version of the openHABian doc article :slight_smile:
Thanks.

Ah, Sorry for the cryptic answer Yvonne.
What I was trying to point you to is the lower part where I described one of the latest changes. In the openHABian menu you will find the option “Serial Port”, behind which you will find the following possibilities:

That should be all you need to prepare your system for the use with zwave/razberry. Good luck and don’t hesitate to come back here if it doesn’t :wink:

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks Matthias, I’ve started to work on these improvements. When reading “GNU/Linux”, U had to smile :slight_smile: Yes that is technically more correct but how many readers will take anything from that? I would argue that the previous mentioning of Debian/Ubuntu is hint enough. Would you agree?

That’s what I thought. My answer is still the same, you’ll need to use some special methods and all depend on your experience. Moving to a smaller SD card is not as easy and I would just install openHABian anew. If you want to do it, check this thread, I’ve previously linked some tool that are able to do the “shrink” for you.

I would not go down to 8GB! Because of wear leveling (see above) I’d stay with 16Gb or even upgrade to 32GB.
Regarding the SD card brand/class, please check the nice article @kasperz posted a few days back. openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

Agreed :sunglasses:

1 Like