openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

Great project.
I don’t know. if I will use it, bevause I am happy with my installation, but this will make the setup much easier for new users!

One think I would suggest is the integration of an MQTT server.
This is usefull for many IoT devices, but the setup is not that easy and might scare new users.
Of cause it should be optional, because not everybody needs it. :slight_smile:

Yes please to Logstash being baked in.

Hi,

would like to see syntax highlighting for rules and sitemaps enabled for nano (and maybe vi).

For nano, openhab.nanorc has to be placed under /usr/share/nano and to be included in /etc/nanorc .

Please have a look here https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/Syntax-Highlighting-for-external-editors

2 Likes

Hi,
is eibd (KNX), owserver (1wire), mosquitto (MQTT) on board as well or do you plan it?
Regards,
Michael

Hey @christoph_wempe @staehler67, mosquitto will soon be added as an optional component.

@staehler67 I would be happy to add eibd and owserver as well. I have however no hardware to test them. Are there special steps I need to take care of in order to get them working? (example: 1. install from custom repository, 2. change a configuration file, 3. execute an initialization command) Please answer here and here

@James_Hiscott I’ll be working on this soon as it is of personal interest to me. Do you by any chance already have some filters/rules for openHAB? If so, please contribute.

@ThomDietrich I dont currently, was on my list to start setting up. If i get any time in the next few days i will have a play and update the ticket

1 Like

Thanks, I will try to implement this weekend.

openHABian third release with finished base

Further fixes and additions to create a solid base for your Rasbperry Pi openHAB installation. The release can be used in production. Coming changes will concentrate on the optional components installable through a menu. Version 1.0 will be hit when the menu is ready and others can contribute parts to it.

New in this release:

• Oracle Java 8 (build 1.8.0_101, needed for my.openhab)
  • openHAB syntax highlighting in vim and nano
  • samba userdata share preconfigured
  • many small improvements

Everything has been thoroughly tested. In my home the first boot took 50 minutes and the openHAB portal was reachable after another 12 minutes. A reboot was not needed. (@Stephen_F, @alekons)

@Stephen_F got it working at last. @peter_juenger that’s quite a nice addition. I’ve added both.

Make a backup and get the latest release (v0.7). Enjoy!

1 Like

Great Project!
It never was so easy and fast to start openHAB2 on Pi.

I played around a little bit and everything seemed to work (Zwave, enocean, knx…)

Then I startet a
sudo apt-get upgrade

openhab2 was updated as expected.

But since then I’m not able any more to uninstall the mysql-persistence and always get error-logs:

There is no queryable persistence service registered with the id ‘mysql’

Is apt-get upgrade allowed?

Do I have to run another updatescript?

Michael

Of course it is allowed :wink: (btw. now you can just use the newer apt command - apt update/upgrade/install/...)

The is no special updatescript.

Your problem seems OH2 specific, I don’t think it’s related to your openHABian system. Did you install another persistence service? Did you change the default one? How are you trying to uninstall mysql-persistence (PaperUI vs Karaf console)?

The persistence-records were stored in MySQL exactly until I upgraded.
No other files were changed.

I’m not able to uninstall / reinstall a binding or persistence service.

I would like to repeat my steps - what is the best way to “reset” the openHABian-SD-Card to a clean default-install?

Michael

Too bad you are having problems. Did you try uninstalling the bundle via karaf?

In order to reset openHABian just re-flash the image. Besides that, you are able to do the following to initiate a reset without taking the sd card out of your Raspberry Pi:

sudo mv /boot/config-reinstall.txt /boot/config.txt
sudo reboot

Even after reinstalling, I get the same Mysql-Problem - so it doesn’t seem openhabian-related…

But I could not get a karaf-connection so far.

How do you start it?

Michael

If your are on the machine (direct or via ssh):

sudo /usr/share/openhab2/runtime/karaf/bin/client

In this case, please open a new thread and a savior will present himself :wink:

@peter_juenger already gave one right answer. Two other ways:

• on the machine: ssh openhab@localhost -p 8101 (password:habopen)

• my personal favorite, allowing connections from all interfaces:

sed -e "s/sshHost = 127.0.0.1/sshHost = 0.0.0.0/g" /usr/share/openhab2/runtime/karaf/etc/org.apache.karaf.shell.cfg
    systemctl restart openhab2.service

and then logging in via ssh from my local machine (I just realized that this could be part of the openHABian setup)

FYI: install time on Pi3:

Installation finished at Thu Sep 1 10:29:23 UTC 2016 and took 21 min 55 sec (1315 seconds) UI started to work around 8 Mins later

1 Like

Update: your currently installed openHAB version will be shown right when you log in (new installs).

I did not want to miss out answering you on that. When building openHABian, I payed close attention to create an installation and setup routine that - after some testing - can also be independently executed on a normal x86/x64 system (debian/ubuntu). A few steps are still missing to make that a real possibility but it’s on the right track. I will need some more time to refactor a few parts and to build an interactive menu around all of it.

Hi @ThomDietrich,

I just did an openHABian installation. Everything went fine (RPi3), installation time about 15min.

One small comment: I couldn’t open the Portal with the described http://openhabianpi.local:8080, I had to use (just like mentioned in the official docs): http://openhabianpi:8080.

Don’t know if this is a local problem with my environment. In fact, it isn’t much of a problem…But maybe worth to be mentioned…

Regards,
Stefan

Hey @jaydee73,
15 minutes, WOW that’s a nice downlink i suspect :wink: Local DNS is a pain in the ass to make generalized assertions. From what I know (please correct me if I’m wrong): If there is a dns domain for your subnet, it is provided by your router or interpreted by your operating system. While Windows previously supported the special .local domain, this seems to change. Nowadays usage of .local seems to be the less accepted choice in home subnets. I’ll update the guide to a url without .local. Thanks for pointing that out.

On a side note: I’m a bit old fashioned and always work with IP addresses :slight_smile: