openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

Hi Thomas,

sorry I’ve oversee this post… many thx, just to doublecheck, if I download today the openhabian-ua-netinst-20161216-git52cc420 from https://github.com/openhab/openhabian/releases, I will get the latest release of openhabian?

Many thx in advance and kund regards

Peter

ill jave to join github.

@peterd That’s correct :wink:

@Branden_Smale Oh right, I forget that from time to time. It’s actually quite good to have an account as most real problem solving is done there :wink: Anyhow, if you rather not, I can create the ticket. I’ll look into the implementation some time soon…

That would be great, as it seems I have a Github account, but for whatever reason can’t sign in. I’ve tried to reset my password, but it says the email is not recognized…even though when I went to sign up, it said my email was already in the system, as well as my username…wierd…

maybe i broke github…site is down now…

3 Likes

Hi @ThomDietrich,

(mini)Howto install the eq3 “HM-MOD-RPI-PCB” module on Raspberry 2 with openHABian,
All steps was run after a clean OpenHABian installation…

01 | update the system
sudo apt-get update
sudi apt-get upgrade
sudo rpi-update

02 | edit file and add the line
sudo vim /boot/config.txt
enable_uart=1

03 | edit file and remove the following entrys
sudo vim /boot/cmdline.txt
console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1

04 | edit file and remove the following line
sudo vim /etc/inittab
T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyAMA0 115200 vt100

05 | disable getty service
sudo systemctl disable getty@.service

06 | reboot the system
sudo reboot

07 | check whether service is really no longer running, it is important that we do not receive any output
ps -A | grep getty
output: nothing

08 | check the ttyAMA0 rights
ls -l /dev/ttyAMA0
output: crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 204, 64 Jan 15 00:02 /dev/ttyAMA0

09 | run openhabian-config and execute entrys:
sudo openhabian-config
01 | Update
02 | Basic Setup
03 | Java 8
04 | openHAB 2
11 | Optional: Homegear
20 | Serial Port

• uncheck [ ] 1 Disable serial console

10 | reboot the system
sudo reboot

11 | edit file and remove the # symbole in the following lines
sudo vim /etc/homegear/families/homematicbidcos.conf

[HomeMatic Wireless Module for Raspberry Pi]
id = My-HM-MOD-RPI-PCB
deviceType = hm-mod-rpi-pcb
device = /dev/ttyAMA0
responseDelay = 95
gpio1 = 18

12 | restart homegear service
sudo /etc/init.d/homegear restart

13 | now you can pair homematic devices with homegear
14 |now you can install the homematic binding in openHAB

Hey @space4u great you got it working. You could have saved yourself a few steps:

• 01: openHABian starts by installing everything fresh, no upgrade needed.
  • 02: 08 are done for you by sudo openhabian-config --> Serial Port --> checking number 1
  • 09: 1-4 are not needed, that’s already done when you are first booting openHABian. I know that this is not stated anywhere and will fix that soon.

My Update did work. Thank you for your help.

Grafana sounds interesting - never heard about. What’s a good startingpoint?

And what is the nginx-Setting in your config-tool for?

Great :thumbsup:
I’ve written an exhaustive tutorial on Grafana: InfluxDB+Grafana persistence and graphing
Just select the nginx setting and you’ll see an extended description. Basically it will give you HTTPS and username:password authentication.

I also can’t get the built-in wi-fi to work on a Raspberry 3 that arrived today using the latest openHABian image. Using the recommended setup procedure from the Raspberry Pi website, when I try the command:

sudo iwlist wlan0 scan

I get an ‘iwlist’ command not found error

Also the wpa_supplicant.conf file (used to store the SSID and password) is not present.

Using a different sd card, installing the OS through NOOBS and enabling wi-fi through the desktop, the above command does what it should do (gives a list of available networks) and the wpa_supplicant.conf file contains the wifi details.

I’m using this RPi3 as a spare so if you want me to try out anything, let me know.

Did you install iwlist then? Maybe it’s as easy as that :slight_smile:

I was looking for a way to use user:pass - so thats great.
But I need it for the local network - and while it work now on port 80 with authentication, port 8080 is still available.
Is it possible to block the 8080-port?

Michael

You can’t install iwlist on its own but after a bit of searching I tried the following:

sudo apt-get install wireless-tools
sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant

Both installed but I now get a ‘wlan0 Interface doesn’t support scanning message’ when i use iwlist.

Also added this to etc/network/interfaces as suggested elsewhere:

allow-hotplug wlan0
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "*****"
wpa-psk "*****"

Again, no joy.

i just did an openhabian update, also openhab update, basic set up, as well as an apt-get update /upgrade. rebooted the pi. openhab is not running, get a connection refused message, any ideas?

Hi - i’m running openhabian since October. Now i’m planning to migrate my entire installation from sd to an external disk.
Is there a suggested procedure or i can use a generic tutorial like this one: http://elinux.org/Transfer_system_disk_from_SD_card_to_hard_disk ?

That’s a special usecase I didn’t see yet. Should be covered by the following solution, could you try please

Add the following line to /etc/default/openhab2:

EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS="-Dorg.apache.felix.http.host=127.0.0.1"

In the openHABian menu, there is an option for that. Only boot will stay on the sd card.
Another solution seems to be Berryboot. Check the comments above.

@Branden_Smale did you try sudo systemctl restart openhab2.service? Please check sudo systemctl status openhab2.service and /var/log/daemon.log as well as /var/log/openhab.log for suspicious lines.

… or, if using a RPi3, boot directly from a SSD USB Disk without the need of a sd card at all … but it’s still in Beta (but works flawlessly).

nope. Even after restarting OH I can access :8080 without password.

After days of searching I found a hint which said to use the command:

sudo service networking reload

So I ran this and voila, I could disconnect the ethernet cable and both SSH and OpenHab were alive over WiFi!

My ecstasy was short-lived however since when I rebooted the Pi it could no longer connect at all :frowning: Not even with ethernet connected. Up until now at least the ethernet connectivity has been rock solid, so while I made a small breakthrough in the wireless issue, it doesn’t help if a can’t reboot my Pi and take it away from the router.

I wonder what caused the reload service to wipe out all connectivity. I had to run a fresh OpenHabian installation which works perfectly well.

I’ll continue to hack away at it, but if anyone has any insight as to what could be wrong it would be greatly appreciated