openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

I am no linux expert and this seems to be the reason why I was struggeling with it.
For me an entry in the official documentation would be sufficient,
but a template is of course even nicer.

Iā€™ve taken a note to add it to the documentation. The article needs an update anyhow.

@Nathan_Wilcox Exactly. You should check out a short tutorial to learn about the few parameters and the few keyboard commands youā€™ll need (most important: Ctrl+A, Ctrl+D)

1 Like

@ThomDietrich Fantastic project and great job keeping it current with fixes and enhancements!

Just wanted provide a little feedback on my experience. Iā€™ve been running openHAB 1.x on Raspberry Pi 2 Model B for a while and wanted to migrate to openHAB 2.x on newer hardware ā€“ openHABian seemed perfect for that! I loaded the current v1.2 release images to SD cards and tried both Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Pine A64+ (2GB) platforms.

Overall setup using Raspberry Pi was out-of-the-box perfect. With Pine A64+ I had a few glitches that seemed DNS related. The web interface could not be accessed at http://openhabianpine64:8080/ and I had to use the IP address instead. Similarly, the openHAB shared folders couldnā€™t be found at \openhabianpine64.local , and though \IPaddress did work it seemed to much longer for Windows Explorer to find the shared folders.

I think the issues are more likely related to the Pine64 Debian image and not openHABian. Pine A64+ has good hardware but seems behind in terms of current Debian release fully supporting their hardware.

hi,
I now have a running Openhabian system for a month with some homematic devices via homegear and I love it.
Iā€™ve also created my items via the Paper UI and some basic rules via the Eclipse SH Designer.

But now I got stuck: Iā€™ve created a virtual item (switch) as a global ON/OFF switch by adding it in an .items file. It shows up in the HabPanel UI and I can operate it.
But in the BasicUI my virtual switch is not shown because the default sitemap does shows only items based on things (correct?)
So Iā€™ve used the HABPanel to create my own sitemap, stored it on the server (not in the local browser store) as mydash. But when I now try to use it as the new default sitemap in the BasicUI (set PaperUI->Conf->Services->Basic UI-Conf->Default to ā€œmydashā€) or call it directly with http://openhabian:8080/basicui/app?sitemap=mydash
I just get : There are no sitemaps available.
Yes, I could probably work with a .sitemap file but should it not also work with a sitemap created via HabPanel ?
cheers,
Andy

HABPanel does not create sitemaps but dashboards :slight_smile: the only way to create sitemaps is old schooled :slight_smile: via text editor (for example SmartHome Designer)

I did add user openHABianPi = (openhab) NOPASSWD: /sbin/reboot
to /etc/sudoers.d/reboot but it seems to have no effect.
Did I get the credentials right?

@Udo_Hartmann
Ahhā€¦that explains a lotšŸ˜ƒ
Thanks!

Change the line to

openhab openHABianPi = (root) NOPASSWD: /sbin/reboot

The meaning is: User openhab on Machine openHABianPi is allowed to perform command reboot as user root without being asked for password.

1 Like

I tried to switch to unstable release. Now the openhab is not starting any more. the only entry in the log is:

2017-04-19 16:30:07.273 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Stopped dashboard
2017-04-19 16:30:38.814 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Started dashboard at /start

done it back and forth no chance to get it running.

The pi is 900km away. How can I reinstall the openhabian from remote.

Hello everyone

I installed openhabian three month ago and everything worked very smooth. My only devices i have to control are knx bus devices. Two days ago I installed the Amazondashbutton binding and made an update, Since then everything looks the same (e.g. in HABPanel) i can push the buttons and control the dimmers but nothing happens to my lamps. The gateway to the knx seems to be ok, as it is possible to read the bustraffic via ets.

I dont know wher i should take a look at, to find the failure.

Maybo some of you guys can help me.

THX
Daniel

This happened to me as well. I went to install the latest snapshot and the result was a dead web gui. However, the samba and ssh still works. Go figure. Would love a step-by-step document on switching versions to snapshot directly after a fresh OpenHabian install instead of a reference to a general Linux how-to. Iā€™m running and RPi3 so the devs probably should test OpenHabian version changing since thereā€™s obviously something wrong with it and weā€™re using the OpenHabian config menu!

Hey @aolshove,
the openHABian menu actually has an entry to switch to the latest snapshots since 2-3 weeks, you didnā€™t see that?

This entry will however do nothing different than the ā€œgeneral Linux how-toā€ suggests.

Regarding the problem you are seeing, thatā€™s unfortunate. This happened with a fresh setup? Iā€™m not able to do testing right now (traveling). Could you try purging and reinstalling:

sudo apt purge openhab2
sudo apt install openhab2

Yes, I used that and was gifted with a dead web UI.

After that failed, I went back into the menu and clicked option 12a to try to return to ā€œstableā€ and the web UI was still dead.

Will try again tonight with a new fresh install. I presume that itā€™s okay to hit that menu option even before registering any ā€œthingsā€ (which is what Iā€™m attempting)?

Thanks.

• Alex O.

Okay, I tried again and this time it worked fine. I think I mucked something up while following the manual directions for installing an addons snapshot (dropping it into the /addons folder) but I didnā€™t update the rest of OpenHab along with the addons. Maybe thatā€™s where I took a wrong turn? Thanks again.

• Alex O.

Hello, as claims Iā€™m ā€œhome atomation enthusiastā€ (and newbie) but not ā€œlinux enthusiastā€.

so I follow installation instruction to setup Openhabian in my new raspberry Pi3.
All seems ok, after about 1h I can reach Raspi by ssh, access openhabian-config (little bit strange visualisation indeed) etcā€¦

but I canā€™t reach by dashboard http://openhabian:8080, and via ssh didnā€™t appear ā€œwelcome messageā€.
I attach a couple of screenshot.

Can I have an help?

The second screenhsots says the setup process has not been finished.
In config execute steps 01,02,10,11b,12a,13,14 and 41

Actually if something went wrong during installation (a rare case in my experience) you should simply try a fresh start by flashing the image again.

OK, thank you @ThomDietrich . I execute steps 01,02,10,11b,12a,12b,13,14 and 41 but ā€œsetup processā€ is not finished yet.
This evening I try to flash again openhabian image.

Please use either 12a or 12b

Image re-flashed! Done! all OK!
My adventure in openhab world is beginning. Thank you

1 Like