openHABian hassle-free openHAB Setup

sorry, i have not too much skills on linux, i thought that with the new 1.3 version was based on stretch debian and not on jessie

Ah I see. No the v1.4 release will soon be available and based on stretch. At the moment there is a small issue with one package I want to sit out first. For openHAB/openHABian we donā€™t really need any of the improvements of stretch, so donā€™t worry about it too much.

Dear Thom!

I bought a RPI3 1GB RAM for Openhab.
I copied the latest image by Ethcher to a 2G, and 32G SD card.
I tried both SDs to install, using LAN connector/Wifi as well.
All install process was failed.

The best ( get farest on process) on 2GB, but even this is stops at line setup Youman generator.

All time I can reach RPI by SSH, but log file shows , installation failed at
sometimes AptGet upgrade, sometimes install Openhap server line. The Web never reachable on 8080.
What made I wrong, or which card shall I use, or USB stick must be used?

Hello @Janos_Pal,
sounds good so far and I appreciate that youā€™ve provided all the details.
Please use the 32GB card. A 8GB minimum is recommended, Iā€™m not even sure if 2GB would be possible. Follow the instructions, then pay attention to these details. Please send a screenshot or copy of the last lines of the log here. Thanks!

Hi Thom,

I wanna setup the second openhabian as a hot standby which not running openhab at startup,
I know itā€™s not on rc.local, I try to remove /etc/rc2.d/S17openhab2 but itā€™s not work, after RPI restart,
opehab2 service is still active, can you tell me how to do it?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=disable+systemd+service+boot :slight_smile:

sudo systemctl disable openhab2.service

I had the same hold back: fear of not knowing how to start and stop services but if this is not required I will for sure give it a try as well.

Meanwhile I did manage to find a backup solution that works perfect for me: Iā€™m now using this one:

Itā€™s manual but very easy to install and you just plug in an USB with a second SD card (doesnā€™t need to be same size) and it makes an image of the working USB without having to stop any services or whatever. I now run it regularly before making changes and as a habit I place the clone in the pi as live one and put the live one aside as backup. This way Iā€™100% sure my backups are perfect as they are the original.

Hope this helps some others as well that might not be ready for more complicated backup stratgies.

Thanks, it works as expect,
great thanks. sorry for ask this stupid question, really noob on linux
didnā€™t think the way will such easy, I thoguht have to modify files like rc.local

P.S. I recently have difficult access openhap community, this msg should able to send by 10 hours ago
is there any issue on community? always error500

1 Like

Regarding the problems to get into the forum read Here.

Hello, because I did not get any reply from the Pine community I try my luck here:

I wonder if the openHAB is available also for Pine64 LTS or sopine.

After my pinebook emmc upgrade I have a spare emmc module lying around, so I was planing to buy one pine64 LTS together with the LCD screen and running OpenHAB from the emmc.

I successfully installed RaspBian, but I had to modify the DNS settings of the router in order to connect to the network. In practice I added the google dns (8.8.8.8), and then all proceeded smoothly.
LoinHe

Hello Karel,
openHABian can be used on the Pine64. In fact we are providing an image for the pine. The alternative is always to install a normal Debian/Ubuntu based system and execute openHABian from there. Both paths will result in the full openHABian experience.

See:

@Lionello_Marrelli you went the manual setup path then?

How much faster is a pine64 vs rpi3 or rpi2?

Hi,

thanks for Openhabian, it is making life so much easier.

I have had Openhabian running OH2 for several months now, but today I used openhabian-config menu to upgrade to OH 2.1.0. But after the upgrade my PI3 is changing MAC-address every reboot, making it impossible to assign IP in my DHCP.
Anyone have any experience with this?

I ran the following command:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
And have read that revision should be something different than 0000.
processor : 0
model name : ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 38.40
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xd03
CPU revision : 4

processor : 1
Features : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32

processor : 2

processor : 3

Hardware : BCM2709
Revision : 0000
Serial : 000000007dc3326f

No. I simply reflashed and started again after having added the google dns in the router (a fritzbox) settings.

1 Like

You need to find the problem in your operating system, not openHAB:

If you are using wifi and ethernet, your Pi may connect wired or wireless alternately after each reboot, resulting in a different mac adress.
Also take a look here:

1 Like

Hi,

thanks for fast reply.

I could not get MAC-address to stop changing, but I configured static-IP so it works for now.

In the files it say I have kernel for RPI 2 but I am running RPI3, could this be the reason, or something I should bother to investigate?

Best regards

Jostein

I found this posting:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=90975#p95876

So, if

cat /proc/cpuinfo 

gives you something like

BogoMIPS	: 697.95
Features	: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls 
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU variant	: 0x0
CPU part	: 0xb76
CPU revision	: 7

Hardware	: BCM2708
Revision	: 0000
Serial		: 0000000000000000

(serial and revision is 0)

the first step would be to

Add these to config.txt:
program_serial_random=1
program_board_rev=2

Then reboot and undo the editing of config.txt (this is the one in boot-space)
After that steps, the serial number should stay permanent and so should the MAC.

Negligible. But please keep this thread clean on-topic.

Sorry - anybody here can confirm credentials to access openhabian installation via samba share? Tnx